fallen crest???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams

Reaction score
My sister just bought a mini sight unseen for her son for xmas. She had a friend pick it up for her and he came in very poor condition. He is quite skinny and the crest of his neck has flopped over to one side. My question is what could have caused this and is there any way to fix it and will it cause the little guy any other problems. Any comments or help would be appreciated. Thanx

My sister just bought a mini sight unseen for her son for xmas. She had a friend pick it up for her and he came in very poor condition. He is quite skinny and the crest of his neck has flopped over to one side. My question is what could have caused this and is there any way to fix it and will it cause the little guy any other problems. Any comments or help would be appreciated. Thanx

Without seeing your mini - my guess is the weight of the mane pulled it over. I don't believe there is any fix and it won't cause him any problems. I bought a broodmare this summer that came to me with a fallen crest and it didn't concern me one bit as I wasn't buying her for a show horse. But when she came to me - she had a very thick and heavy mane.

I agree, was over weight at one time and lost weight to fast, and mane heavy.

Will not harm the mini, but not reversible. Sorry this happen to you.

Might come back up a bit, when he gets weight back on but never perfect.

Also can try using a neck sweat to help bring it up some.

Good Luck ...

I agree, was over weight at one time and lost weight to fast, and mane heavy.

Will not harm the mini, but not reversible. Sorry this happen to you.

Might come back up a bit, when he gets weight back on but never perfect.

Also can try using a neck sweat to help bring it up some.

Good Luck ...
It happened to my stallion and the vet said exactly what Reble did.

It can be genetic, too... I see this in the andalusians... It isn't reversible.

It can be genetic, too... I see this in the andalusians... It isn't reversible.
Not reversible, no, but it can be made less noticeable if you shorten the mane, get him back in good body condition and use driving exercises to build up the topline. It is the muscle along the top of the neck that flops over and if you build that muscle up it helps to hold it more erect.

I bought a mare from an auction that looked like a dairy cow in weight and colour. Her mane was so thick & long that it pulled her neck over. I thinned it out & shortened it alot. Within a month with a lot of feed her neck was completely back to normal. She was so under weight that her neck had no stuffing in it to hold it up. Like a sock expected to stand up without a leg in it. Hope it will be back to normal once the weight is back on. Keep us up to date.

I always heard that this condition could be associated with insulin resistance and increased risk of founder. Not sure if this is urban myth or reality, but thought I would toss it out since she mentioned that the horse was not in good condition. Care should be taken when putting weight back on these horses. I only knew one pony with a fallen crest and he was thin, when they tried to put some weight on him, he foundered badly. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back