Fall visitors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
I think they're a bit confused as they usually come and visit us towards the fall...October or November. This morning I noticed this flock of wild turkeys in one of my corrals. They were having a grand old time just puttering around and hanging out. There were about 12 - 15 of them.

I'm so ready for fall!!! This summer has been horridly hot and humid!!

WildTrkys.jpg

Beautiful!! Lucky you, to have wild Turkeys about. Had tons of them around when I lived in NH... never seen any over here, which is sad. This area is perfect for them.

Did anyone say they needed wild turkeys???????????
default_new_shocked.gif
How many and how soon can you pick them up?
default_please.gif
We currently have have 150-200 here on the farm including little ones. By late fall we will have over 200.

Years ago (15 +/_) a couple were really neat to see around. Then there were maybe 10-12 all the time. That was still ok. From there it went to 50 then 75 then 100 and you get the picture. They actually will eat out of the cattle feeders when we feed even with the cattle eating they jump right in. They will go into the barns looking for anything to eat. They are not afraid of people. They crap all over everywhere, all the time. The only positive thing they do is pick thru the manure piles enough that it does help the manure breakdown faster. They are supposed to eat bugs but we certainly still have plenty in the fields and lawns.

We'll even help you load but you must bring a closed in trailer as we do not want any to escape!LOL

Forgot to mention that most of them are so tough eating that many of the hunters are not interested as the breast meat was the only part edible and many are still tougher than a pair of old leather boots. Not to mention most say they taste the same too. A few people really actually say they are good eating.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take a truck load of them.

I already invision one in the oven, roasted to a golden brown with stuffing and sweet potatoes and pie! LOL Yummy!

Aww they so cute. I would not even think of seeing an animal and wanted to eat it. uhg. We loved our pet turkey and he was like a dog! He would gobble when the school bus was coming home and Hilary would run off the bus and come and give him a kiss on his bald head! Neat animals.

awesome picture, its been very very cold here with rain fir three days strate
default_rolleyes.gif
im not ready for fall

Neat picture. I wouldn't mind having 10-12 around, but sure wouldn't want 150 or 200!
default_new_shocked.gif

I can just see my cats stalking those around the yard, like they'd have a hope of catching one...

Wow!!! 200 of these birds????
default_new_shocked.gif
That's a lot of feathers!!! And I thought 15-20 was a lot!!! Since we sit up closer to the road and the woods are behind us, our neighbors report that the flocks constantly cruise their properties. During the fall we get them crossing our back property and once in a while we get them up close to the house like they were yesterday...just moseying on by saying hello, and puttering around.

Glad you all enjoyed the pic!

Latest posts

Back