Fall Decorations

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We put out our scarecrow by the antique John Deere. Passsersby enjoy it and stop to photograph. Yesterday was a gorgeous weather day so I took my antique Moline for a drive. Had to stop several times to take pictures of wild flowers. I was sorry when it was time to drive home. Parked by the JD for a photo. Itwo tractors.jpg t is fun to see the two oldies posed together.

Scarecrow is wearing a necklace of okra. New Englanders probably don't know what that is! Our working tractor is a Kubota. What is yours, Cayuse?
Ryan, by the time we are finished with the decorations, the pumpkins aren't good for anything. I usually toss them out in the field for the critters. The little ones are actually pie pumpkins, though.
I toy with the idea of selling my Moline, since we don't have an antique tractor club any more. Just can't quite bring myself to let it go.

Love Okra , great in curries. :)
Wow, did not know okra was available in Australia. In Oklahoma it is usually eaten fried. In Louisiana, it is used in gumbo. Our delis here all offer friend okra. I was in Arizona a couple of years ago and asked for it, and no one knew what I was talking about! I pick it when it's about 2" long and eat it raw in the garden. Also good stir fried with garden fresh squash, corn, chilies, and potatoes.

Sure is :)

I have never eaten it fried , but certainly keen to try it. Ill have to try it in a stir fry too, reading your post , I am now very hungry !!

Sure is :)

I have never eaten it fried , but certainly keen to try it. Ill have to try it in a stir fry too, reading your post , I am now very hungry !!
It is cut into pieces, dipped in batter and deep fried.
I like it fine just cut into pieces and stir friend with other vegetables from the garden--whatever is ready to harvest. I've even added black eyed peas. I use olive oil + a dab of butter keeps the spatter down and adds to the taste.
The okra the scarecrow is wearing is very large and tough--almost ready to save the seed. Okra is in the hibiscus family; a beautiful plant.

If I go the market over the weekend , Ill be sure to grab some to try cooking that way !!

Being Fall for you guys and pumpkin being such a big fall ingredient, whats everyone creating with them ?

Marsha, I envy your tractor! You live in a beautiful area. I know okra, we eat ours fried too. When I lived in Saudi Arabia, okra was everywhere. I once mistaked a very hot pepper for okra. I took a large bite, what a painful mistake!

I would be one of those stopping by to take photos of your decorations. Glad you could get out and roam a bit.

Scarecrow is wearing a necklace of okra. New Englanders probably don't know what that is! Our working tractor is a Kubota. What is yours, Cayuse?
Ryan, by the time we are finished with the decorations, the pumpkins aren't good for anything. I usually toss them out in the field for the critters. The little ones are actually pie pumpkins, though.
I toy with the idea of selling my Moline, since we don't have an antique tractor club any more. Just can't quite bring myself to let it go.
Dan's tractor is a Kubota, too. He loves it.
I see okra once in awhile at the store, but I've never tried it.

I made a wreath out of beauty berry and hydrangea heads. Added a few wild buffalo gourds. The berries fall off easily so I had to hang the wreath in a place where it wouldn't get jarred. The beauty berry is an Oklahoma native.beautyberry wreath.jpg

Marsha,
That is so beautiful! I love wreaths made with natural materials. My friend who lives a bit up north from me came to visit last weekend and spied a cotton field on the side of the road on her way. She teaches wreath making in her greenhouse at home and couldn't rest until she had some of that cotton so we had quite an adventure, not wanting to steal, we found a lone man working on a tractor that spoke no English and with my limited Spanish and lots of hand gestures he was happy to oblige!

I honestly don't know how you do all that you do!

Marsha,
That is so beautiful! I love wreaths made with natural materials. My friend who lives a bit up north from me came to visit last weekend and spied a cotton field on the side of the road on her way. She teaches wreath making in her greenhouse at home and couldn't rest until she had some of that cotton so we had quite an adventure, not wanting to steal, we found a lone man working on a tractor that spoke no English and with my limited Spanish and lots of hand gestures he was happy to oblige!

I honestly don't know how you do all that you do!
I've taken cotton bolls to classrooms, and even to show and tell at meetings; people who live right by it don't often get up close to look at it. Hope you got the bolls before the cotton started coming out (I forget what that's called, stringing, I think). I have a wreath I made 15 years ago. My husband cut a wreath out of plywood and I glued the bolls on. I've also used an old picture frame for a base. I hung a pea weight in the middle. That is the smallest weight on an old cotton scale.
It's fun to go out this time of year and see what's available for decorating. Big bundles of native grass look so good.

Latest posts

Back