Fairly new to forum

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm one of the old timers too and as Hosscrazy mentioned am glad to see some of the old timers still around even if they just read and check in from time to time. With a deversified group such as you have on LB forum, I feel that it's almost inevidable to not be able to keep most people happy most of the time. In light of that being said, through out the years of being on the forum, I have to say this has to be one of THE best I have ever come across. There are some out there that you'd best have your armor and flame suits donned ALL the time, and man can things get pretty hairy and just downright rude. I can always expect to come here and do some realxed reading, banter back and forth with members I know, or don't know (great way to make new friends!) and enjoy and learn more. Then there are the times when members need a kind word or two, and just moral support and I try to touch on those subjects too. I feel bad when I have missed a thread where I could have posted or when I have just not had the time to post. As I have mentioned before I do a lot of multi-tasking when I'm on the computer. I get up to tend to my pups.....have one that is very demanding with her "Mommy time" with me"....would'nt have it any other way
default_yes.gif
, and tending to the farm full time and so at times I'm back and forth on posts or times when I'm reading and answering phone calls all at the same time so altho my name may be at the bottom of the page, I may not be able to respond at the time to a post.

There have been times when I've gotten not much feedback on my threads...times where I have gotten quite a bit.....times where I have gotten none at all. I try to keep it all in perspective. It is what it is. Try not to take it personally...enjoy the forum for what it is. A place to learn and share, and to make new friends, and meet with old ones. That's my agenda!
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_saludando.gif

Interesting you picked up on that so quickly!
default_yes.gif
I spent time here every day for a year or more, then it just wasn't worth the

There is a "click" and if you don't belong, well just remember high school
issues anymore. Not a "popular" group--just a "know-it-all" kind of mean group. Some of them look for any reply/post by certain people and do what they can to make trouble, ever so subtly of course, or maybe not so subtle. Other times the person's words are oh so sweet.
default_rolleyes.gif

I do my best to steer clear of them, but life's just too short.

So I just pop in to check things out once-twice a week to learn what I can (Tony's new post for instance
default_yes.gif
), see how my friends are doing, and sprinkle a short kind reply here and there. .
default_smile.png
More often if I'm on vacation.

Quilting forums are amazingly kind every single minute. NOT an exaggeration.
default_smile.png
And they love my quilts AND my horses.
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not an old timer or a member of the "click" (which for the record have yet to figure out who's in the click), but I've been here awhile and probably log more hours on this forum than anyone (thanks to the boring day job). Some of my posts could probably be seen as "mean" when honestly it's an opinion or advice without any emotional content. I reply frequently to the medical topics because of my background. AND because of my background, I'm able to look at the situation at hand without dragging everyone else's emotion in to it. Being emotional during a time of chaos and need for medical attention is actually counter productive. I'm the same way when replying to training posts. You have to take the emotion out of it to get the point across.

Now, talking about babies. That's all emotion, especially when they're mine!
default_wub.png

It's the nature of any forum. There are thousands of personal opinions and experiences here and not everyone is going to agree with you. So, you just have to learn to be a duck and let it roll off your back! And just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean they're trying to be mean.

I'm sorry, but I just had a thought that made me giggle... Seems like some people decide NOT to like a set of people because too many other people already like them!!! Yeah, if a lot of people like another group of people, the well liked people must not actually be likable
default_biggrin.png
:DOH!
default_rolleyes.gif

Then there are times when someone asks for an opinion and then when honest opinions are given, others think the responders are being mean. Or when someone holds something out for input in general, but doesn't appreciate all the input they get. I'd rather have an honest opinion or idea than just a false pat on the back. Since I already am very familiar with my own opinion, when I ask for others', that's really what I want and try to give the same to others.

It's also too bad that those who are so annoyed by this place and the perceived issues are still drawn to keep coming back for more. I guess they too realize how much LB actually has to offer, in large part thanks to the outstanding members who share their ideas, encouragement and knowledge with others.

Jodie I feel the same way you feel. I just try to remind myself that you can only please 50% of the people and the other 50 you have to let go. I try not to let these things bother me for the most part but sometimes you can't help it. Most people want to be accepted and sometimes it doesn't work out quite like we wanted.

This is for you Jodie, I hope that what ever problems you are dealing with fall away like feathers and if you are dealing with health issues with you and yours I pray that all is well with them very soon.

I don't know any of the people on this forum but many many people have been kind and thoughtful to me.

God bless

Then there are times when someone asks for an opinion and then when honest opinions are given, others think the responders are being mean.
Yeah, that one always makes me shake my head. I always say that if someone wants to hear only good things they should ask "this is my baby, isn't she cute" as opposed to saying "here's my baby, please critique her" and if someone says "would you breed with this stallion" be prepared for a certain number of people to reply "NO"
If I ask someone the question "do these jeans make me look fat" if they do in fact make me look fat I'd really appreciate being told the truth, rather than get the answer "oh, no, they look great" then I go out in public and 100 strangers are looking at me and thinking geez, she looks hideous in those jeans, what was she thinking"
default_new_shocked.gif

Sometimes, of course, asking an opinion on one thing can lead to unsolicited opinions on another aspect of the situation--something that people don't always realize when they post a question or a photo--I figure, really, it's an inherent risk you take when you post. for example, you post a photo of a lovely horse & say here's my baby, isn't she lovely, 50 people might agree, but then half of those people might also point out that the harrows laying upside down on the ground just beyond the horse, in what is obviously a horse pasture, are an extremely dangerous thing to leave laying there like that. It's really not them being mean, they're concerned about the horses and trying to be helpful. It pays to look at what you're really posting before you get upset over something like that.

I think there are probably MANY of us who feel like our posts don't get a lot of feedback, and know that if other posters posted the same topic it would get more response. So please - right now go to the mini horse forum and look at my post on "Anyone else on extended mare stare" and look at the pictures of my mare and tell me if you think she looks pregnant, cuz I'm scratching my head at 356 days and no baby and no forward progress from the mare.
default_biggrin.png

And don't comment if you think she's ugly or horrible or whatever, or that you think my pasture is too weedy, or the fence in bad shape. She's my girl and I love her and this may well be the only mini horse baby I ever try to make
default_biggrin.png

BTW I LOVE this forum, and I'm quite addicted to it - check it at least 3 times a day, usually more! Sure things are said in a not so nice way sometimes but I just can't see that it's all that much different from "real" life. And by far I think the majority of comments ARE positive, and I guess I choose to focus on that.

but I've been here awhile and probably log more hours on this forum than anyone (thanks to the boring day job).
WANNA BET????

I am on here constantly, way to much.

I love this place and its where i spend my "free" horsey time and have met so many people i consider my friends and look forward to meeting new people. It always amazes me when i go to shows, or any miniature event, i always hear atleast two times "Are you the Leeana from Lilbeginnings".
default_yes.gif

I do not think i am part of any click. Now, there are some topics and posters that catch my attention more then others due to the fact i have more in common with them and enjoy their posts and always make sure i reply to their topics because they reply to mine.

I remember when i first joined (i think 2004 or 2005?), i was new to everything and really didnt understand this forum, it really is like a family. I really grew up with lilbeginnings and owe most of what i "know" today is from reading here, talking to the members, watching them show ext.

Its a great place, really
default_aktion033.gif

LOL!!!

I'm such a motor mouth here... It's a wonder between "this", my horses, and my tv habit, I've got time to run a business and take care of my clients (trust me, I do!).

Anyone who's talked to me in person or on the phone, I type and read as fast as I talk -- and that is pretty darn fast
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
So that helps me to be able to really "talk" a bunch.

To me, because at my office my "co-workers" are my employees -- this is like my water cooler or my place to talk to peers... My employees are great, but quite a bit older than I am and have learned from past employees it works better if it's not real buddy-buddy. And, I just love it "here"
default_yes.gif

I don't really remember when I joined, but I think it was 2001. Trying to remember the first things I talked about here and those things would have been going on with me and my hoofed wonders around 2001.

When I first came across this place, it was because Lyn_J posted pictures of a filly I had born who was sired by a stallion she used to own. I came to see the pictures and saw people had compliments about "Morningstar", but it was awhile before I actually understood what the forum was about and how it worked.

but I've been here awhile and probably log more hours on this forum than anyone (thanks to the boring day job).
WANNA BET????
Actually, yes. I spend 95% of time at work at this computer with this forum up in the back ground. I bet I check it every 30 minutes!
default_new_shocked.gif

So there, Leeana!
default_poke.gif

Lisa --

I've never noticed that your posts were anything other than easy to understand and clear -- as far as I can tell, your English is right on!!!

Jill

If I ask someone the question "do these jeans make me look fat" if they do in fact make me look fat I'd really appreciate being told the truth, rather than get the answer "oh, no, they look great" then I go out in public and 100 strangers are looking at me and thinking geez, she looks hideous in those jeans, what was she thinking"
default_new_shocked.gif

LMAO that is just way too funny!

Sometimes, of course, asking an opinion on one thing can lead to unsolicited opinions on another aspect of the situation--something that people don't always realize when they post a question or a photo--I figure, really, it's an inherent risk you take when you post. for example, you post a photo of a lovely horse & say here's my baby, isn't she lovely, 50 people might agree, but then half of those people might also point out that the harrows laying upside down on the ground just beyond the horse, in what is obviously a horse pasture, are an extremely dangerous thing to leave laying there like that. It's really not them being mean, they're concerned about the horses and trying to be helpful. It pays to look at what you're really posting before you get upset over something like that.
I agree with this. One of my first posts was a picture of my (now orphaned) filly and someone on here posted that the mares feet needed trimming. Now altho the picture may have appeared that way it was in no way true since I am mildly fanatical about my horses feet and she had been trimmed only a short time before, however it never occurred to me to feel defensive or attacked over the statement. The poster saw what appeared to them to be a problem and merely made an observation. I have been lurking on this site for a long time now and only began to post this spring. I had already gotten a feel for who I thought was the most knowledgeable and who would give advice on particular subjects. I try not to miss too many posts from those people since they are the ones with the information I most wish to learn. That being said, even those who do not have years of experience and knowledge to share contribute in other ways to making this a fantastic place to be. When my mare was in the clinic struggling to overcome her hyperlipemia the moral support I received came from a wide variety of people who just genuinely CARED about both my little mare and the emotional pain I was feeling at the time. That support is no less important a part of this forum than the information it can supply. And sometimes a small piece of wisdom comes from a source you didn't expect. :)I think of LB as a village, (or as Leeana says a family) even tho we don't always get along with each other and even tho we sometimes word things in a hurtful way it does not take away from the fact that we CARE. It takes all of the citizens to make a village complete and even tho some are better friends than others and perhaps share a way of seeing the world that some others don't it doesn't mean we are not here for one another in a crisis.

I guess I'll jump in here and say I too have been here since waaaay back when, about the beginning. I didn't post at all then and don't very often now because most others have either said it all ahead of me or I have no knowledge of the subject.

I do try to only be positive or kind and I hope I have not said or replied in any way that has offended anyone.

I also miss some of the old-timmers who no longer post but may still be reading. There were some who had a LOT of knowledge and I miss their input.

txminipinto said:
Leeana said:
WANNA BET????
Actually, yes. I spend 95% of time at work at this computer with this forum up in the back ground. I bet I check it every 30 minutes!
default_new_shocked.gif

So there, Leeana!
default_poke.gif
Nope, I win!
default_biggrin.png
I've got LB up the entire day at work as well as most of the night at home and can't resist systematically checking it every five minutes. I'm BAAAAAAD. (I have no idea when I find time to drive my horse given how much time I spend talking about driving him!
default_wacko.png
)

I've been avoiding this thread after an initial read because I assumed it was going to become either preachy or at least a repeat of similar threads I've already read but once again the bright side of LB shines through and surprises me.
default_wub.png
Life wouldn't be nearly as much fun without my friends here to share it with!

Leia

Carin,

Are they hiring at your work????? (LOL) That sounds like a job for me (Bigger LOL)!!!!!!

I really didn't want to post on this subject, I was afraid it would go south at any time. But, I have learned so much from this forum, from horse care, to feeding, exercising, to barns and everything in between. There are alot of people with vast experience that I admire. I consider myself still wet behind the ears, but they are starting to dry out because of the forum!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back