fading black, true black, non fading black, black black, blue black

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
What's the difference?

Willow's coat is very very dark black. It's like rich dark velvet..both summer and winter coats. BUT - her mane and tail are sun bleached. So what would she be considered?

Her sire is the same as her..also Bailey's Dad
default_wub.png

Her Mother is jet black with some white but had some sun bleaching too.

Willow was born that mousey brown colour too.

Could people post photos to show me the difference between the ' blacks' and tell me what makes them that shade of black?

xox Leonie xox
default_saludando.gif

Personally, I think its all semantics, regional differences, etc.

If your horse is black based (EE or Ee) with no modifiers, then its black.

Although, it does seem some are more likely to sunbleach or fade. I also think nutrition plays a part in how the color shows.

I call Rowdy a true black body coat does not fade in the sun, but his mane does a little.

RowdyforMHCOweb.jpg
RowdyHome3.jpg

Genetically they are all black, but ohh what a difference they can be as you already noted. Here are some examples from my herd.

This filly was born a week ago. She is a jet black pinto. They are born jet black. They will not fade in summer. Fading blacks are born silver colored.

melody2.jpg

Here is her sire, All That Jazz, a non fading jet black Stallion. Photos was taken in July. You must have a jet black to get a jet black. If your horses are the fading blacks that brown or red out in summer you will not produce a jet black foal.

jazz5.jpg

One more jet black mare taken in summer. Note that the mane and tail are jet black too.

liberty1.jpg

Some of these are homozygous for black, some are not. We also have smoky blacks in our herd. These carry the dilution gene and can produce buckskins etc.

Hope this helps you.

Are all foals that are born jet black, nonfading blacks?

Shelia B.

Are all foals that are born jet black, nonfading blacks?

Shelia B.
Not all of them. If one parent is a grey, then the jet black foal may grey. Some people think that being jet black is an indication they will grey, but I don't think so... they will, or they won't, but if they're born jet black it means if they do not grey, they'll be jet black adults (vs. fading blacks).

Our 2008 colt, "Ducky", was jet black when he was born and now a month later, still is. I love both jet blacks and greys so he can pick any outfit he wants.

Ducky%20041508%20026.jpg

Thank you, Sheila! H and I really love him. He is such a stinker, but we love him so much
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I need to return to this when I have time because I want to know more about Hiawatha.

What about stalling them? In the trees? Length of daylight etc? Can all of those affect how much they may fade? I live far north and our sun barely dips in the middle of summer. It is sunny here until 11pm at night, dark for about 1 hour and then sunny again at about 4:30 am and my horses are out in it 24/7 My black mare stays black in summer but gets a bit of a brownish mane. Just curious.

What about stalling them? In the trees? Length of daylight etc? Can all of those affect how much they may fade? I live far north and our sun barely dips in the middle of summer. It is sunny here until 11pm at night, dark for about 1 hour and then sunny again at about 4:30 am and my horses are out in it 24/7 My black mare stays black in summer but gets a bit of a brownish mane. Just curious.
I'm thinking that the mane on a jet black / non-fading black horse can get sun bleached, even though the horse is a non-fading black.

In the past, I've shown bay or bucskin horses with black manes that became sunbleached and what I did (and turned out looking awesome and natural) was to dye the manes / tails with Just For Men (doesn't drip like other products I tried). I used the color called Blackest Brown or Almost Black (not Black -- that will look unnatural).

I'd much rather dye the mane and tail than keep the horse stalled all the time. Mine all love to play, etc., which helps keep them in condition and keeps them happy (you can't make a sour or depressed horse "show").

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking that the mane on a jet black / non-fading black horse can get sun bleached, even though the horse is a non-fading black.

In the past, I've shown bay or bucskin horses with black manes that became sunbleached and what I did (and turned out looking awesome and natural) was to dye the manes / tails with Just For Men (doesn't drip like other products I tried). I used the color called Blackest Brown or Almost Black (not Black -- that will look unnatural).

I'd much rather dye the mane and tail than keep the horse stalled all the time. Mine all love to play, etc., which helps keep them in condition and keeps them happy (you can't make a sour or depressed horse "show").

I guess you answered my question too Jill.

I thought that a true black meant that the mane and tail didn't get sun bleached. Now I understand it to mean that a true blacks coat won't fade to a brown/black, even if the mane and tail do.

I'm thinking that my Willow is a true or non-fading black then as her coat is a glorious rich velvet black with no signs of any fading. But then again, only time will tell as she is only young.

P.S Jill, LOVE LOVE LOVE Ducky. He screams personality plus right down the computer screen! Reminds me of Bailey. Some of them are just born to be characters hey!
default_wub.png

May I suggest you go to the Equine Color.come website and read this page.

EQUINE COLOR BLACK

This website is one of the best and most easy to understand. Your questions should be answered here.

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back