Facebook

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
I do not have a Facebook page or whatever it is.I think I have not even tried to set it up due to all the negative things I hear about it.Teenagers having major meltdowns because for some reason they can't log on.People being bullied etc.and so many people spending hours on Facebook.People posting such trivial things like letting the dog out for a pee, going to the store for toilet paper etc.I just feel like I have more productive things to do with my time than read all the stuff people post.when I come on the computer I am trying to learn something or looking for something specific.Mabe it is due to my age, but I really have no desire to do Facebook.Am I the only 1 who doesn't use Facebook?If it is something good I am really missing could someone please give me some good reasons why I should try it

I tried it a few times and I just didn't "get it"... then I realized I could share political news stories, cartoons, etc., and then I got it! Of course, I probably am defriended more often than the average person, but small price to help spread important words. I love it now for the ability to share basically a little political blog. It's fun! I really use my own FB page mostly for politics, and have a farm page that is just fluffy and about the horses and horse friends. I don't get into any kind of personal drama on it but I do see that go on with younger family and friends... I accept friend requests but rarely initiate: http://www.facebook.com/jill.oroark

Your not alone. I just made my hubby one like a mth ago.I know alot of people who dont have one. I have had a bad experience with facebook about two yrs ago. Someone stole pictures of my daughter and posted on the internet and send texting saying some very UGLY things so Im very careful with who I add.I know umm you have like 600 friends but whats funny there either close friends/family, Down syndrome parents or horse people. If there not friends with several people i know i wont add unless they send me a message telling me who they are. There are people who have actually been caught acting like they are special needs parents to stealpictures and exploit our kids. Its sad but true. Ilike facebook but very carefuland I HATE DRAMA! I just dont like alot of drama on my page and will remove it fast. I have 5 kids in my house so i have plenty of drama just in my house alone!

There is good and bad with everything, but if you never try you'll never know.Yes, Facebook can be irksome and they keep on updating it and making me crazy because now I have to figure out what to do again. BUT FB has made it very easy to stay in touch with my family, including extended family; I've gotten to know some LBer's better; I've found some long lost friends and I get to share pics of my kids instantly with my mom and brother who live in different parts of the country. That said, I keep my privacy settings high and I don't "friend" just anyone; plus, I don't post a status unless I have something interesting to say as I find most people do. Try it (come to the Dark Side- we have ccokies). If you don't like it- like a friend of mine didn't- delete it.

Not to worry Bev, you are not alone, but then again you and I are from the same generation. We have a farm page on FB that my youngest daughter keeps up with, mostly it just shows the Grand Kids and their horse show wins, I don't even know how to access it! I had a FB page, I thought it would be a good place to keep up with some of my family that lives in another State. Well a couple of my Grand Kids, older adults by the way, posted some pictures that I took offense to, such as obscene hand gestures. I told my Grand Daughter it wasn't very lady like and her Auant, my middle daughter told me to lighten up they were just having fun. Well I'm old school, to me that is not having fun. Then to make matters worse, someone, still don't know who, read something on my youngest daughters page and called her older sister and turned the words all around to be nothing but a nasty rumor, since older daughter doesn't even own a computer she couldn't verify and got really upset. I closed my facebook account so I wouldn't hurt anyones feelings as I was getting upset with the offensive pictures and didn't want to defriend two and stay available for the rest. There were some others trying to get me to play games, well I like games but have dial up and can't play, I tried telling them, but they kept flooding the page with junk. It just got to be too much for me, as I like to spend most of my time outside, I have a hard enough time keeping up with my simple web-site for sales.

You are not alone. I flat out refuse to sign up. If someone knows me they also know my phone number and e-mail or snail mail address. That is plenty of ways to get in touch with me and to share pictures and important information. I have no interest in being that accessible to the masses. If I wanted to find someone badly perhaps then it would be useful, otherwise its just ..to me.. a waste of time and as annoying as a telemarketer. JMO

I have one for me and one for my farm, but honestly it's mostly a waste of my time. There's so much crap - cartoons, silly sayings and such that I find to be a waste of my brain power, so I try to only use it sparingly. I do enjoy seeing foal pics and learning about peoples' good experiences, so that's a positive. When someone is offensive, I defriend them immediately. Life it too short for that drama.

Oh and Jill, I don't mind your political "blog" at all!
default_wink.png

I joined Facebook last April because it was a way to get the latest info on the 'Rock House' fire in the Davis Mts. of west Texas(which took my aunt's lovely house--almost my second home as a youngster...I still cry if I look at the photos of its total destruction.)

Since then, I basically ignore it. I got 'friend' requests from my older sister,kids and others...some I barely know. I accepted my family's requests, very few of the others...but honestly, I pay little to no attention to it, and about never 'go' there. I just don't want to get all 'bound up' in that kind of activity...I have MUCH better ways to spend my time!!Kind of like the TV ad where the daughter is saying how she kept after her parents to join FB...while shots of her parents OUT IN THE REAL WORLD, doing all kinds of fun activities, play in the background...and she sits in front of a computer saying she has "600 friends"....You tell me, which is preferable?? I know what I'D rather be doing!!

Oh...and like Riverrose, I am DEFINITELY 'old school', and have NO USE for the crude and rude 'behavior' that is too often demonstrated on these kinds of sites...a prime driver of the 'crude-ification' of our society, to its great detriment.

Margo

I do have a facebook page because it is nice to see pictures of families and friends. I do hate the messages that are more like tweets, who cares if you are going to bed, or at the grocery store. My problem was with my niece who had a friend that could only write things if it was absolutely disgusting language. When she commented saying something like "Wow" it of course showed up on my page. I suddenly bacame the nosy "B" because I didn't like it. I told her that her that all her family, even her grandparents could see this stuff and it was not proper. They came back with the freedom of speech crap and I am suddenly befriended. Bottom line if they don't have respect for themselves and others I don't need them as friends either. She is in her 20's and her friends are what important, not family. Her face book page is now blocked so I can't see it. Which is fine with me, she lives in another state so we don't have to put up with uncomfortable family get togethers.

Now I'll step of my soap box.

You are not alone and I am glad to hear I am not alone. Tried it twice, didn't like it twice, deleted it. Just not my thing and something about it just didn't set well with me.

I don't have it either, nor do I want it. My reason is because it sounds like it could become highly addictive, and I already spend too much time at this computer without having to worry about Facebook too. There have been a couple of times when I have needed to be a member to look at something, so I got my grandson's login info from my daughter and I can check in that way once in a blue moon if I need to be a member to read something somewhere.

YOU'RE NOT ALONE, I DID IT FOR A FEW WEEKS AND NEARLY WENT NUTS. I HAVE MORE TO DO THAN READ ABOUT SOMEONE TAKING THEIR DOG OUT AND WHAT IT DID. AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED ITS USELESS AND A WASTE OF TIME.

I also do not have it. No desire at all. I keep in touch with my friends the old fashion way.... I go and see them!

Well, I am also of the "old school" and resisted for such a long time and then joined over a year ago. Until the most recent changes (which I don't like at all!) I found FB a great way to connect with relatives (saw the first photo of my Granddad posted on FB recently), find out what the young women that worked for me (and still do) are up to (yes, sometimes in more detail than I would like!), and connect with tons of horse friends all over the US. I also sold a saddle when a friend posted she was looking for one, and who knows, might even sell a mini that way.

As long as the pros outweigh the cons, I will keep my page. I don't post much and don't spend a lot of time checking. I do like the ability to post photos thoug,h and plan to link FB albums to our farm website.

I am seriously thinking of taking mine down but there are some people I love to connect with on there.

Recently after reading about the privacy changes and the facial recognition software they use - I am not too happy. Its all starting to creep me out.

The dang viruses are taking over again like they did on myspace.

Ever since the change all I see are cartoons and sayings.

They have also been in trouble several times for using tracking cookies that track you even after you leave the FB page so they know where else you go online.

I am still thinking it over.

Nice to read all the replys and know that I am not really abnormal.When I want to talk to my friends I pick up the phone and call.

I signed up but dont know how to use it....I HAVE NO FRIENDS...and thats fine
default_yes.gif
I dont even know my password...and I dont have a clue what texing is all about!! Im such an old nerd!

I have a personal facebook and also one for my farm. It is funny, there is WAY more drama on my horse account than my personal one and my personal account is mostly college students/younger.There is also way less clutter on my personal account because there aren't many on there who play all of the games and share all of the 'messages and 'stickers'.

I go on facebook every day, but I don't spend hours upon hours on it, I don't have drama (it is easy to stay away from) and I can add or delete who I want. I can also edit who can view what on my pages which is great. My horse account is open to everyone, but my personal account is very private. If you're not a friend, you see nothing about/from me. It is much easier to keep up to date with friends and family, it is easier to update than my website, and I love seeing other people's horses and horse news. Facebook is always where I find horse news first.

I have a page. I only go there if I get an email with a link. I accept friends on there. I'm flattered to get requests! That is the ONLY time I go there.

To be honest, I HATE FB because since it came along, my real friends quit talking to me. They are on FB instead. They no longer EMAIL me and share what's going on in their lives.
default_sad.png
They post it on FB and expect me to hunt them down to keep up with them. I don't have time (nor do I know how) to find every single one of my friends to read their stuff. I lost one good friend/sister of 10 years because she quit emailing me years ago (she quit answering my emails) and she felt I should have been tracking her down on FB to read her posts as a way to keep in touch.
default_no.gif

My friends know where to find me.........EMAIL!! If they don't email me, then no, I don't know what's going on in their lives. I LIVE on Lil Beginnings. I'm not hard to find!
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back