Eye injury

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went out on Friday morning and found that Midnight had a laceration on the bottom of her eye. Took her to the vet (new, baby vet saw her) and she said to just keep it flushed and use the ointment. Gave her banamine. Next day, no better and swelling in the late afternoon. Weekend, of course! It got no worse, though. I took her again today and the main vet saw her. He checked the eye with his optical tool and said the cornea was not affected. I asked about stitches and he did not recommend it. So, I have to continue flushing with saline water and ointment for 2 weeks. No scab allowed. Fly mask critical.
She has never liked having her eyes messed with. (the old throw the head up in the air and fling backwards on the lead rope) I always try to cradle her head, untie the lead rope, and go easy, but she just doesn't like it. Period. By the end of this 2 weeks she will hopefully be a pro.
I've been taking her for walks, but won't try driving until her eye heals. Never a dull moment with horses!
She got the injury from the elm branches I put in the dry lot for munching and to keep busy. No more elm branches.
Ordered new fly masks in April and the California company said they are behind in orders because they can't get anyone to work.

I went out on Friday morning and found that Midnight had a laceration on the bottom of her eye. Took her to the vet (new, baby vet saw her) and she said to just keep it flushed and use the ointment. Gave her banamine. Next day, no better and swelling in the late afternoon. Weekend, of course! It got no worse, though. I took her again today and the main vet saw her. He checked the eye with his optical tool and said the cornea was not affected. I asked about stitches and he did not recommend it. So, I have to continue flushing with saline water and ointment for 2 weeks. No scab allowed. Fly mask critical.
She has never liked having her eyes messed with. (the old throw the head up in the air and fling backwards on the lead rope) I always try to cradle her head, untie the lead rope, and go easy, but she just doesn't like it. Period. By the end of this 2 weeks she will hopefully be a pro.
I've been taking her for walks, but won't try driving until her eye heals. Never a dull moment with horses!
She got the injury from the elm branches I put in the dry lot for munching and to keep busy. No more elm branches.
Ordered new fly masks in April and the California company said they are behind in orders because they can't get anyone to work.

Very sorry to hear ! Hope recovery will happen nice and fast !
It made me think... If my horses ever had an eye injury and needed a fly mask, it would be disastrous. I constantly find the masks trampled in their paddocks. :rolleyes:

Glad it's improving, eye injuries freak me out. I ordered cashel fly masks after having fit issues, the foal/mini fit is perfect for my girl, the ears are soft and don't rub her, and it stays on despite her rubbing her face all over the fence.

Latest posts

Back