Extraordinary TV viewing experience...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margo_C-T

Reaction score
Did anyone else watch the documentary film shown on Oprah's network tonight, entitled "Serving Life"? Shot last year at Louisiana's infamous Angola prison, it is about how some of the 'worst of the worst', inmate volunteers, care for dying fellow inmates in a Hospice setting within the prison. Forest Whitaker(an actor of great depth whom I really like!)narrates, and was an executive producer. Shows you what TV CAN be when it tries hard enough!!

I was uplifted by the message of the possibility of redemption,and think the warden(whom I've seen before)should stand as a model for those holding similar positions in the criminal justice system. His simple statements about the need to try to set the example of MORALITY shines like a beacon in these times, in my opinion. I would never have thought that such a show could be so moving in its content!

Two hours long, it will be shown again tonight, at 10 PM MDT here, on Ch. 189 on DISH. It is strong but very powerful subject matter, but I'd have to say I TOTALLY recommend seeing it(not for little children.)

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so not an Oprah fan... I was a long time ago but then found her boooooring followed promptly by annoooooying. BUT that documentary does sound excellent and I'm going to record it so H and I can watch it together. Thanks for the heads up!!!

PS for Directv folks, this Saturday (tomorrow), 11am Eastern Time, Channel 279
default_smile.png

i watched it and was very moved. it was an excellent documentary. having cared for gary during his illness and at his death, it was especially poignant for me. near the end, i could not help but cry for the men who lay dying. for those inmates who join the program to care for the dying patients, it HAS to change their lives for the better. finally, they are doing something GOOD! i highly recommend this show but warning...have a box of kleenex handy because if you don't get emotional, you aren't human!

I programmed the DVR to record it last night so I plan to watch it tonight.

Thanks for the kleenex alert.

I wasn't an Oprah watcher, and I would not have thought of watching 'her' network, but my daughter told me this particular show was upcoming.

Margo

I watched it and it's message was a powerful one. It really moved me and it is VERY worth watching.

H and I watched this over the weekend and found it very moving. Thanks for telling us about it, Margo!

I watched it, it was very good, but was really annoyed when the weather cut out the programing at the very end.

Latest posts

Back