Extending Clipper Blade Life

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca

Reaction score
I currently have 3 or 4 blades, one of which is new, all the others need to be sharpened ASAP. (It's finally warming up here!)

What can I do to extend the life of my blades? Last year I had a new blade become dull after half of a horse, she she walked around with one side of her naked for a few days til I could get a new one!
default_wacko.png

I always bathe them & use Showsheen before clipping.

Do you clip when they are dry or still damp? Is there an advantage to one or the other?

What products do you use for your clipper blades (for cooling, cleaning, etc.)?

Also, when you need a blade sharpened, where do you send them?

Where do you buy your blades? The ones I get here are pretty darn expensive!

Sorry about the overload of questions. :DOH!

~Rebecca

Hi Rebecca!

Before you clip, always wash your horse thoroughly. I like to clip them when they are still damp, makes it tons easier for the clippers and blades to get through that thick winter coat. The major thing that dulls blades is dirt particles stuck all around that caot. I like the wahl cool lube stuff that they make. I also like to disinfect my bladesbetween each of the horses first clips, so if they have lice or anything.

IME sending blades out to be sharpened is a waste of time. All the times Ive had it done, the blades were only a tad sharper. The time they were sharpened they were sharpened locally around my area.I've ordered blades through Country Supply, got them at the equine affaire, and just at TSC. Always oil and brush your blades often while clipping too!

Alex
default_smile.png

One other thing I learned (the hard way) don't just take your blades to the local barber to be sharpened! I am lucky having a professional blade sharpener nearby and I found it pays to have him do them. I also started storing my blades in blade wash in one of those blade caddies, but not sure yet how well that works.

I also clip when the horse is clean but still slightly damp (and show-sheened), because my horses would get dirty if I waited until they were dry! I use Kool Lube or similar product while clipping, but don't forget to clean off the blade wash and oil the blades before you start. Clean out the hair often too. The first clip of the year is always the worst! I often get blades at TSC, or any on-line or mail-order place that carries name brands.

Keeping the blades clean is the biggest issue. Most of the time the blade has not dulled, it just has fine hairs caught in between the blades. Dip them in cleaner and take a stiff brush and brush the blades to get any hairs out. Make sure on new blades that you are dipping them in wash before you start using them like the packaging says. Also, I am using some blades that are over 10 years old. I have them sharpened every year with great success. I use Tony at Pro cut for sharpening my blades and all my clipper parts. I think he does a good job and quick turn over. I clip over 20 horses usually at least once or twice a year. Horses I show get clipped more often. I change blades when they get hot and let them cool in the cleaner while I am using a different blade. I helped a friend out the other day and fully clipped 4 horses and head and necked a fifth and only used 3 blades. Two where just switched back and forth as they warmed up and the 3rd was for ears and faces. I always use a new or newly sharpened blade for that.

I so agree with alex. I dont even waste my money paying to have blades sharpened anymore. I have tried several sharpening companies and they work for about 10 minutes and they are done. I even get back blades that wont clip at all. Now we just use them till they die and buy a new one. I have found the new cryonex last much longer.

Thank you Joyce for the link!

What a great reference site.

We do have our blades sharpened. We found vaccuming the horses (actually blowing them off) is a great way to save the blades from dirt and sand dulling.

We have a old tooth brush for cleaning the blades and keep a margarine container with cleaning solution in it for cleaning the blades and use Cool Lube frequently.

Some blades are just fine for halter lines, but when you start doing body hair, especially foal hair (which is like cotton candy) they are not useful. You need a new or newly sharpened blade for that.

Too cold here yet to clip, but you are making me want to see what is under all that fur!

KayKay, If you would like to give me your old blades that you normally throw out, I would gladly pay shipping!

Honestly, you need a sharpener with the proper equipment, and you need to know the correct way to clean and OIL your blades. If you have time, I would love it if you would go to my sharpeners site that I posted in my earlier post and spend some time there.

Thanks Joanne!

I am a professional Dog Groomer and Jeff comes on to the groomer boards and helps everybody so that they don't constantly have to pay to have their blades sharpened. He is just awesome!!

Believe me with blades so high dollar I hate throwing them out. But I spent about 150.00 last spring to get blades sharpened by 2 diff companies and they all came back bad
default_sad.png
I about kicked myself thinking how many blades I could have bought for the money I threw away trying to sharpen them. I will check that site out

I use Fort Worth Shaver in Ft Worth TX to sharpen my blades. They do a good job.

I find the Andis blades hold an edge longer than the Oster brand whether new or sharpened. A few years back I had the reason explained to me by the best sharpener ever. He said the Osters weren't made with US steel and were softer so didn't hold an edge as well.

I am presently clipping the show horses here...their first clip which I do dirty as I've never found bathing to get them really clean when the coat is long. I'm willing to sacrifice a few blades to get that long hair off, but I started with 2 old (not very sharp) blades and am still using them. Have done 6 with 2 more to go. I do blast the lower legs with warm water to get the round pen sand off. I dip the blade (running) frequently in a little bowl of blade wash when I hit dirt in the coat and I brush the coat as I go.

There just isn't an easy way to get that dirty winter coat off!

Charlotte

Those looking for a good sharpern person please get with Diana on the forum. They do my blades and they are always sharp and do a wonderful job.

I mostly clip after a bath when they are still damp and show sheened up.

The Blade Guy already mentioned in this post is AMAZING. Also, NO MORE COOLANT SPRAYS! They are a hazard and don't do what they say after a few applications, anyway. Only use blade oil and blade washes.

Mininik-Right on!!

Charlotte, correct! Andis Blades are the ones the groomers use! They are by far the best! Osters went downhill long ago.
default_sad.png

KayKay, Jeff guarentees his work! You will NEVER waste another nickle on blade sharpening again, honest!! Jeff does everything in his power to teach people how to get the most from their equipment. Groomers used their clippers and blades for hours every day! How about changing the blade drive, brushes etc in the clipper? Cheap to do it yourself! He has VIDEOS on his site to show you how to do any kind of maintence you need!

When you get time, check it out!

Thanks for all the comments. I've read them all and there are some mixed opinions on sharpening. I may send mine to Fort Worth Shaver and see how it turns out.

How much do you pay for blades? I got an Oster A5 #10 the other day, and I paid almost $40!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

I'll check out the website, thanks Joyce. And if anyone has the websites for places to get blades/sharpen blades that would help a ton.

Thanks for all the replies!

~Rebecca

Okay you guys have me convinced to try one more time LOL. I think I will also send him my double k's and find out why they heat up so bad. Ive replaced the felts/levers and they still heat up terribly. Thanks so much for the info.

You way overpaid for that #10.
default_wink.png
Check out what's available at http://www.PetEdge.com or http://www.RyansPet.com

Also, if you're going to send your blades out for sharpening or clippers in for repair, I would strongly suggest the Blade Guy over anyone else out there. Many top professional groomers use him for a reason. I send my stuff to him from WA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, thanks. I can not believe I paid so much for a 10 when I could have gotten one for a much better price!
default_no.gif
default_wacko.png
Well, I won't be buying clipper supplies from my feed store anymore!

I'll send my others to the Blade Guy.

Oh and somebody got clipped with the new expensive 10's, all this talk got me going ( Miss Kassie-picture in photo gallery). I didn't use the cooler for the blades, they didn't get hot anyways, and the cooler actually seems to take the edge off of them as well. I oiled them a few times and brushed them off and they were fine! Hopefully they continue to do well, for $40 they better keep working!
default_rolleyes.gif

~Rebecca

Ok, here are some tips I learned from a professional groomer.

Yes, make SURE your horse is washed THOROUGHLY prior to clipping- and showsheen, etc... helps too if you have it, but dirt is the first thing that kills blades.

They need to be kept clean and cool while you clip OFTEN with blade coolant... Andis is a good one. Brand new blades are covered with a coating that needs to be removed first with a blade wash. Always oil your blades when done.

If your blades start to get warm while clipping, STOP- or change them out and let the one cool off while you continue with another. Throw a baggie of ice in a bowl, and drop your blade on the bag of ice to cool while you keep clipping with another blade.

Last but not least- your clippers themselves! They should get a 'maintenance check' once a year- and cleaned, greased, oiled, etc.. and any repair done. The arm inside that moves your blade back and forth wears out. If that is worn at all, your blades are not going to work long and will heat up quickly too. I always keep spares on hand, as I also have been caught with one that was too worn to work right, and my blades just wouldnt do the job!! It doesnt take much wear (sometimes hard to see) for them to not work correctly.

Latest posts

Back