Extending Clipper Blade Life

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a good idea to oil the blades several times WHILE you're clipping. The cool lube stuff doesn't really lube the blades. We sharpen blades ourselves and it's amazing the shape some of them come to us in. There are folks out there that don't really have the right equipment to sharpen with and don't really know how.

One thing I don't see posted among these great comments is your power. Don't use an extension cord on your clippers, even a few feet will drop power.

One thing I don't see posted among these great comments is your power. Don't use an extension cord on your clippers, even a few feet will drop power.
Never would have thought of that! Thanks!

How can anyone afford not to sharpen them?? At $40- $50 a blade here I'll spend the $10 to get them sharpened!! I wish we could get blades for cheaper.

Oh my goodness, thats a bummer! But I guess it's a fact of life today with everything.
default_sad.png

okay- while we are talking blades- I finished clipping one of my mares today- she only went around half done for 2 weeks and we had a cold night last night. one side was hot one side was cold.poor baby. so, today I finished her. I have a really old pair of A-5's maybe 15 years- we have been thinking of getting a new pair of clippers- what are your favorite 'affordabe' clippers. thinking of sending theses off for a tune up.........thanks for any thoughts.....

okay- while we are talking blades- I finished clipping one of my mares today- she only went around half done for 2 weeks and we had a cold night last night. one side was hot one side was cold.poor baby. so, today I finished her. I have a really old pair of A-5's maybe 15 years- we have been thinking of getting a new pair of clippers- what are your favorite 'affordabe' clippers. thinking of sending theses off for a tune up.........thanks for any thoughts.....
Don't bother with anything other than Double K's. Seriously I have a pair of A-5s and i'm sick of spending so many hours clipping my horses. Just gt myself some Double Ks today. Can't wait to try them.

I buy all my blades from eBay. I can usually get them from $9-$15 including shipping. Donnie from Hoss' Clipper House does all my sharpening. He is truly awesome. I have never had a problem with his work. He only charges $4.50 a set, alot cheaper than buying a new blade!!! I can't praise his work enough, the best I have ever delt with. PM me if you would like his info.

Just found his website: http://www.drzoolittle.net/hossclipperhouse.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy all my blades from eBay. I can usually get them from $9-$15 including shipping. Donnie from Hoss' Clipper House does all my sharpening. He is truly awesome. I have never had a problem with his work. He only charges $4.50 a set, alot cheaper than buying a new blade!!! I can't praise his work enough, the best I have ever delt with. PM me if you would like his info.

Just found his website: http://www.drzoolittle.net/hossclipperhouse.html

Thanks for the tip about shopping on ebay........hubby loves to shop here and I will give him a project to buy more blades. You can never have too many blades.

Also would like to add, last year I had an wonderful gentleman with lots of "ole horse tricks of the trade" do a clipping demo for my 4-H club. I was surprised to learn the best cleaner and lube is "diesel fuel", yes very carefully run the blades in the fuel to clean and lube them. Of course, you have to dry them very carefully before using. And Change blades as they get hot and cool on ice!! (already mentioned) I always bath horses the day before and same gentleman said to soak horses in Show Sheen the day before as well. As for foals/yearlings with thick hair like sheep.......we use old heavy duty Oster Clippers to do a rough cut and then reclip with our Andis clippers/blades.

Through this forum I discovered http://www.petedge.com last year! What a great site - fantastic service & (for me anyway) great prices. I bought the Wahl A5 Competition blades (bought 4 and got 2 free).

Here in Australia, the same amount of money would have bought me 1 & 1/2 sets - maybe (if I was lucky) 2 sets of blades - and that price was including the postage to Australia!
default_biggrin.png

I use Fort Worth Shaver in Ft Worth TX to sharpen my blades. They do a good job.
So do we. The fact they are less than 2 miles from my work is a big help, too! Their shop is AMAZING!! And they fixed our Double Ks and serviced them when they weren't quite right.

PLus, CHECK YOUR LEVERS. They wear out, too. We tend to change ours once a month or as needed. I had an awful time clipping Sunny on Sat, changed the lever and away we went!

Lucy

Nothing like the thrill of running handheld electrical equipment in diesel fuel...
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good grief that is expensive- Ryan's here in Phoenix AZ is a great supply house and does mail order. They do all my blade sharpening. They also have ceramic inserts (which stay cool a bit longer) that you can use and keep on hand for an emergency. They clip nicely too!

Latest posts

Back