explosive diarrhea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
i am at my wit's end with this. it's been an on again, off again problem with my 10 year old little mini gelding for well over a year. just when i think it's gone, WHAM!

red's manure has never been nice little firm road apples, normal for him is "formed" but a little loose. no mucous, no blood, just manure. i have tried every suggestion i have been given and then some. he's been on Continuex daily dewormer for over a year. i tried stopping that, no difference. i've tried...

daily probiotics

pulling my hair out

coconut macaroon cookies

pulling my hair out

coconut macaroon cookies with pepto tabs squished in

pulling my hair out

liquid pepto

pulling my hair out

Zimectrin gold every 5-6 weeks for months

pulling my...

beet pulp, both dry and soaked

hair out!!!

withholding ALL grain

you name it, i've tried it. NOTHING is working. he will go several days, even weeks, with "normal" manure and then out of nowhere, HERSHEY SQUIRTS. for the last 2 days, i have had to keep his tail wrapped and HOSE his back legs off. nothing has changed about their hay. it's been the same hay for all 3 horses for the entire time i've had red. i do not think it's the hay, i can't imagine it would be, it's just plain old grass hay, NO alfalfa, NO weeds, just GRASS. it's bothering me more than it is him. he acts absolutely normal. never seems to be sick, always eager to eat, and he and rebel play constantly. God forbid i should sleep in and be late with breakfast, he and rebel will lay rubber running around!

i intend to call my vet monday to see if he has any other ideas but in the meantime, HELLLLLLLLLLLLP, i'm going BAAALLLLLLLLD!!!

Any chance he's ingested sand, and needs psyllium to help get rid of it? Just a thought, as I've heard sand can cause diarrhea.

Does he really go after the salt block? I know that is usually more of a problem with foals, but just throwing it out there.

I don't know if diarrhea happens with ulcers, but just throwing that out there too.

Hope you figure it out soon.

Have you tried BioSponge? It works great...and can be used daily if needed. It is from Platinum Performance out of California...you can get it in a tube...which is really expensive or in a container in dry form that you would mix with water...it is expensive but will last forever. They have great customer service also...they'll answer any questions.

Becky

i have not tried the bio sponge or the 911 paste. i will order both.

i've used several different remedies for sand. all of my horses are on preventative (sand clear) and have been forever.

i had not considered the possibility of ulcers but would a horse with ulcers not be exhibiting some sort of stress? pain? losing weight? going off his feed?

one 40# salt block lasts them for a year and i have never seen any of them attack it.

thanks for the suggestions, i will definitely mention them to my vet.

hmmm, he could be sensitive to changes, like a new bale of hay-same quality as the other ones. Try biosponge, its great. Also probios and maybe he has uncers like someone else said.

I am going to post what happened to me and I sure hope that it's not the case with your little one. My horse Krystle had diarrhea off and on and I also tried everything, with the help of my vet. We finally ended up doing a intestinal biopsy and blood test and found out that she had intestinal lymphoma. At this point, and if you have not had it done already, I would highly recommend having both done - a blood test and also an intestinal biopsy. It can be done at your place (does not require hospitalization) and may give you some answers.

Best wishes to you,

Liz R.

I HAD THIS TROUBLE WITH A MARE A FEW YEARS AGO AND THE VET GAVE ME ULCERGUARD AND IT CLEARED IT RATE UP SO IT MAY BE THAT SHE DOES POSSIBLY HAVE ULCERS. I ALSO HAVE A SENIOR MARE WHO WAS HAVING THE SAME TROUBLE. I STARTED HER ON RED CELL WICH IS AND IRON BASED PRODUCT BECASUE HER BLOOD WORK CAME BACK SHE WAS SLIGHTLY ANEMIC. WITHIN A WEEK OF STARTING HER ON THIS HER MANURE WAS MORE FIRM. I ASSUMED IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE IRON. GOOD LUCK, I HOPE YOU FIND SOMETHING THAT WORKS
default_smile.png

Charlene, If I were you at this point I would stop everything already. I would be writting down the dates of when this occurs and keep some kind of a chart and include what the weather is on those days also.

I have to wonder if you have had a lot of rain when this happens.

Also, I would be getting that boy off of that daily wormer as well as giving probios daily I wouldn't be doing that either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back