Expert opinions please…not sure if she’s in foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually feel flanks/in front of the udder. Foals move around a lot in utero which makes it hard to predict. Not until they are in foaling position is it easy. When they get super close sometimes you can see/feel kicks by the tailhead
Gotcha, that’s what I thought but just thought I would check. Ahhh that makes sense, I’ll look out for that!

Gotcha, I’ll maybe look into an external! Or a blood test lol, I may be following what Izzy does and seeing if Indi does the same thing lmao 🤣
If you do that remember I'm 'waiting' for this foal for the second time this year. I was sure she was going to foal in April/May and am really going with my gut to still be watching her now for a Nov/Dec baby. ROFL!!!!!!
I give Izzy grain morning and night and that's when I wrap my arms around her flank area or just in front with my head on her back to try to feel anything.

If you do that remember I'm 'waiting' for this foal for the second time this year. I was sure she was going to foal in April/May and am really going with my gut to still be watching her now for a Nov/Dec baby. ROFL!!!!!!
I give Izzy grain morning and night and that's when I wrap my arms around her flank area or just in front with my head on her back to try to feel anything.
Lol 😂 ohhh okay I’ll keep that in mind :)

Here’s today’s update: I couldn’t get any udder photos as she was more jittery and we had to be in a stall as it’s currently raining. But I got the behind pic and the full stomach pic, and I also got a video. I thought I saw some kicks but I thought I’d post it here to see if it’s my imagination or if some of you guys with actual experience could see it too! Also apologies about my *very* muddy horses lol 😂 E2AF736C-0350-489D-B8C1-77C02FC606D8.jpeg19D31B20-8C03-435B-8F9D-7B39B82086E4.jpeg
View attachment trim.33762E5E-D795-4388-9FBF-9FB10D6A8534.MOV

From that video I don’t see anything definitive. Doesn’t mean it’s not there. But with how methodical the movement it is, I’d tend to say I don’t see anything in that particular video. Just posting an update in my thread with a new video of obvious late term movement.

From that video I don’t see anything definitive. Doesn’t mean it’s not there. But with how methodical the movement it is, I’d tend to say I don’t see anything in that particular video. Just posting an update in my thread with a new video of obvious late term movement.
Interesting, I was sure I saw something right near the end there. Okay, I'll check it out :) Would you say you think she looks pregnant? How far along do you think she'd be? I'm getting crazy lol I need to know! I hope to see if I can get a test of some sort done, most equine vets do farm calls right? She doesn't load well and we don't have a trailer.

She definitely could be. I just did not see a for sure kick in that video. It is so hard to even try to guess if a mare is in foal or not off of belly alone. That is why there are so many of these threads. Many vets will do farm calls but not all. Getting a vet check would definitely help your peace of mind.

She definitely could be. I just did not see a for sure kick in that video. It is so hard to even try to guess if a mare is in foal or not off of belly alone. That is why there are so many of these threads. Many vets will do farm calls but not all. Getting a vet check would definitely help your peace of mind.
Ohhh gotcha, thanks for explaining that! Yeah I get that for sure, I’m going to look around my area for some vets for the next few days lol, I just hope it won’t cost an arm and a leg as I’m on a tight budget here lol

I don't know what it will cost there but here a call fee is about $75. If they have a portable ultrasound machine they can do that if you want. I don't know what that will cost you but they can tell you before they come out. Most mixed practices have them for preg checking cows. It's a very good idea to have a vet anyway for who knows what happening.You will probably be told something like, Well, she doesn't look it/very big, maybe more of an answer with the ultrasound. This is just my opinion but I would find a vet since you should have one anyway and have their number on hand and your name in their system in case you need them. You've been feeling kicks. I'd go with she's pregnant. Use your money to fix up her stall and get a camera up, get her and Arrow in at night so she's VERY comfortable in there if she foals and with you handling her. Put together a foaling kit and a couple of very warm foal blankets and try to figure out a heat source for in the stall/barn. Go with she's in foal and try not to be too disappointed if it turns out she isn't. You want another mare to have a foal at some point anyway so anything you do will be used then if she doesn't have a foal. This is going to make you crazy no matter what, keep feeling/looking for foal movement and trust yourself when you find it. As far as I know the only way to know for sure is an internal ultrasound/palpation which isn't a great idea with these little ones. If you take pictures one a week instead of every day you will have a better chance of seeing any changes. Are they up to date on worming? If not I'd give them a dose of ivermectin.

You definitely need to call a vet. Not because she might or might not be pregnant but because if you have an emergency you need to know who to call. I don't think a vet is going to help much in this case, its not much easier for them to tell most of the time. The minis are too small and most vets aren't experienced enough. I don't see anything sure in the video either, but not all foals are cooperative. Sometimes you get what is obviously a foot poking out of her belly, sometimes you get very little. And with a furry winter coat on forget anything that will be totally clear. You will make yourself crazy looking and thinking and seeing things move. I would say start with udder pictures once a week. if you get from "maybe there is a change" to "wow look at that" then start looking daily.

I agree, at least talk to the vets around. Our only equine vet that will do house calls will ONLY do house calls if it is an existing client. So it’s best to have a relationship with a vet for the worst case scenario. And you never know, they may be experienced with minis. It’s really hard to guess at prices because every vet will be different and it varies DRASTICALLY by region. At this stage a blood test is probably still accurate. That is extremely simple and easy, and really hard for an inexperienced vet to mess up. Or you can just wait it out. Just be prepared you may have 4 more months if she wasn’t bred till February.

I don't know what it will cost there but here a call fee is about $75. If they have a portable ultrasound machine they can do that if you want. I don't know what that will cost you but they can tell you before they come out. Most mixed practices have them for preg checking cows. It's a very good idea to have a vet anyway for who knows what happening.You will probably be told something like, Well, she doesn't look it/very big, maybe more of an answer with the ultrasound. This is just my opinion but I would find a vet since you should have one anyway and have their number on hand and your name in their system in case you need them. You've been feeling kicks. I'd go with she's pregnant. Use your money to fix up her stall and get a camera up, get her and Arrow in at night so she's VERY comfortable in there if she foals and with you handling her. Put together a foaling kit and a couple of very warm foal blankets and try to figure out a heat source for in the stall/barn. Go with she's in foal and try not to be too disappointed if it turns out she isn't. You want another mare to have a foal at some point anyway so anything you do will be used then if she doesn't have a foal. This is going to make you crazy no matter what, keep feeling/looking for foal movement and trust yourself when you find it. As far as I know the only way to know for sure is an internal ultrasound/palpation which isn't a great idea with these little ones. If you take pictures one a week instead of every day you will have a better chance of seeing any changes. Are they up to date on worming? If not I'd give them a dose of ivermectin.
Okay, thanks for that! I’ll get ahold of some vets, that price doesn’t sound too bad. My great uncle has a camera I might be able to borrow as well. Ohhh yeah I’ll do the once a week thing, and they are due for worming too.

Reactions: Taz
So the one thing I have learned is you can’t trust the belly lol all 3 of these photos are horses that are NOT pregnant and have NEVER been pregnant. I even had one foal where the mare never looked pregnant. You have to base it off something else like a test or bagging up. I also don’t always feel a foal move it’s hard because they have so much gut movement going on all the time. If the foal truly moves and you catch it it’s unmistakable.

Attachments

• 4D3A10AA-7A41-4670-9D78-64BD12BD6520.jpeg
    4D3A10AA-7A41-4670-9D78-64BD12BD6520.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 12
  • CDEB96D8-EEBE-466C-81E9-EFF2CE0553BB.jpeg
    CDEB96D8-EEBE-466C-81E9-EFF2CE0553BB.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 12
  • E4F80960-C670-481C-8668-CEBDA3B89EEB.jpeg
    E4F80960-C670-481C-8668-CEBDA3B89EEB.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Okay so I have news!! I was able to get some fluid out of Indi’s teats today, it was clear at first and then foggy whitish. Her teats are also way bigger, and after I “milked” her the first time today, I just basically touched her teat and felt some dripping! And it also felt bigger after I milked her. Didn’t really feel any foal movement, but from what you guys have been telling me, that can be totally normal. Here’s a photo that I took on Wednesday:78679063-ABC1-4024-B4A7-90A22D73C26A.png
And this one is from today:
5905655B-9BD7-475B-85B2-0C612362F909.png

Last edited:
Certainly interesting, but keep in mind many mares, especially experienced mares, have fluid in their udder year round. But I would keep an eye on it.

Certainly interesting, but keep in mind many mares, especially experienced mares, have fluid in their udder year round. But I would keep an eye on it.
I checked my other mare who is definitely not pregnant, and she didn't even have a bag to speak of, and couldn't get anything out of her teats. This other mare who isn't pregnant only had one baby before so she had some experience, aghhh this is so frustrating! Should I be worried about Indi or is it "normal"?

I wouldn’t worry. Clear fluid is normal. Whether it’s the start of an udder or her normal. With as little udder as she has at this point I would lean towards it being her normal. I have mares that keep a small udder year round and some that don’t look like they have ever foaled. It’s very different mare to mare which makes sense why your other mare is not the same. Yes keep an eye on it. But no I would not worry yet.

Latest posts

Back