Expensive clip job!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
I've been clipping my weanlings to cool them off and trying to take some updated pictures of not so fuzzy foals. Today Viki offered to come and help this afternoon so I took her up on it. She called late morning and said she was taking a colicy mare of hers to the vet. Fortunately, that turned out OK.

Later this afternoon Viki made it out and we started clipping No Disguise, my smallest filly. 22.25" at 2 months. She wasn't real thrilled with being clipped but I was getting close to being finished lacking only one leg. She decided to throw a tantrum and the next thing I see is a bloody eye. Somehow in the cross ties, she managed to split her eyelid open.

Sooo......after a vet visit and $180 worth of sutures, I still have a little filly with one unclipped leg.
sad.gif
Guess I should have finished the job while she was tranquilized!
rolleyes.gif

aww, poor little girl! I am glad she is OK! Things like that always happen around horses
wacko.gif

-Kris

Oh NO!

Poor little girl, and poor pocket book.

I hope she will heal okay?

B

I hope she'll heal okay! I hate trying to clip the ones who don't want to be clipped, especially the babies. I feel like my heart is in my throat worrying they'll hurt themselves somehow. And, of course, the more scared I get, the more upset they get. Urgh
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

Oh geeezzzzeeeeeee, I so hate eye injuries.
sad.gif

Hope she is doing ok and there is no damage to the eye. How's it look today??

Her eye looks great today. No noticeable swelling and you really can't even tell she has sutures in. The vet did a great job sewing her up!
aktion033.gif
If she leaves the sutures in place, I don't think there will even be a scar.

She used to be my friendliest filly, but she is now having second thoughts. I have to put antibiotic ointment in her eye several times a day for the next few days and it just might be a rodeo to catch her!

Anyway, I will try to get some pictures of her today; sutures, unclipped leg and all!
smile.gif

I have found on the babies that if I have one that doesn't want to be clipped, it is easier on all of us if I lay them down.

They usually do not object to any of the clipping but when I get to the legs it has turned into a rodeo. By laying them down they just go to sleep and it is all over much quicker. Often when I let them up they continue to lay there very content for a time. When they do get up they have a new attitude so to speak. They get lots of scratching and kind words throughout the whole process.

Before you get the flame throwers out, I do it very soft and put something down under their head to protect their eyes from anything getting in them or scratching them. I would rather do this gentle approach than have a foal scared to death and acting it out by hurting either themselves or me in the process, also I have never had a mare get upset by this process either as opposed to them getting very much upset if the foal is fighting. They usually continue eating right next to the foal while I do this.

Oh meant to add, sorry about your foals eye. I had to have one stitched up and it healed with absolutely no scar at all or no ill effects.

Mine happened on a young colt about the same age as yours that did not realize that he could not put his nose in places that the mares thought were inappropriate. Scared the soup out of me because she really let him have it. He calmed his little hormones after that incident as well.

Gosh Becky, expensive partial clip job I'd say.

Hope the little one heals well and your next clip goes smoother.

saludando.gif

Tommy

Eyelids heal surprisingly well. Hope she'll be ok, you're probably more hurt than she is. I clip my babies in the run in shed with no halters or anything, it's pretty hit and miss until they figure out that it feels really good. Took a week but they're done, rough, lines... but cooler.

Latest posts

Back