Exercise for a too fat mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorngal

Reaction score
One of my minis really got too fat this summer. I've had him put up for a week now in about a 80 x 40 cattle pen with a shed. He certainly feels good enough to get out and kick up his heels and race around the pen. I would like to start some type of exercise routine though. What would be a good place to start? He's 10.

First--take your time. Just like humans, he needs to walk before he can run. Go out as often as you can and just get him to move around his pen for a week or two. Then start slowly getting him to trot some. Increase his trotting time every week or so. Watch that he doesn't get too hot or worn out while working. If so, walk him about slowly till his breathing becomes more normal. You should have him in shape in due time.

Good Luck

Angie

First--take your time. Just like humans, he needs to walk before he can run. Go out as often as you can and just get him to move around his pen for a week or two. Then start slowly getting him to trot some. Increase his trotting time every week or so. Watch that he doesn't get too hot or worn out while working. If so, walk him about slowly till his breathing becomes more normal. You should have him in shape in due time.
Good Luck

Angie

I agree...slow and steady

Sometimes just being in a pen alone makes them trot and exercise more.

This is great, as they go at their own pace.

Watching their diet helps as well.

We call what you are doing the "Jenny Craig" diet !
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips. Mainly he races around when I let him out of the smaller stall into the pen. I don't see him doing much else so wasn't sure where to start. I didn't know if I should be hand walking him or what. Just making him move around the pen sounds good so I'll start with that. Yes, his diet is different. He was just on grass. Now I'm giving him prairie hay twice a day. Not sure when/if I should add a supplement? Usually Calf Manna is what I like to use.

Take him for walks to start to build him up. We have hills we can go and walk in. The last pregnant mare I had I walked her until she was too misserable to walk any more. Her belly actually got on the way of her natural gate. But it is a great bonding thing too. I gotta get out and walk a little more. Oh, I mean with my horses
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back