Exercise and Nutrition last 3 months of pregnancy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diane,

I'm in Utah, but since she doesn't do a lot of grazing anyway, i guess the selenium level in soil is doesn't matter? That's very interesting. Can they actually get too much from that supplement? I guess it's safe since you have a ton of experience and knowledge! I will definitely get some. thanks!

Another question: She didn't feel much like walking yesterday so I just did a short walk. I'm sure just like people they have days where they feel good or not. So I think it's fine to do a little less exercise on these days and then do more when she feels good. Thoughts? And at what point to you just let them be because they are so uncomfortable? Is that a few weeks before delivery?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is possible to get too much selenium. You would want to either know where your hay is grown or have it tested to know the selenium levels in it. If you live in a selenium deficient area or your hay comes from a selenium deficient area, it can be pretty hard to over do it.

oh, duh, I didn't think about the hay being grown in the soil! thanks!

No, some days if you have trouble with her, just shorten the walks. The key is she is gearing up to do a very hard job. So, she needs good exercise to keep her in tip top shape, and room to roll and move around. So, some people don't like exercise and some do.....but we all know exercise is good for us. So, for these mares, it's important to know that exercise is very important for her to keep her muscles strong and ready to do some extremely hard work.
default_yes.gif

No, some days if you have trouble with her, just shorten the walks. The key is she is gearing up to do a very hard job. So, she needs good exercise to keep her in tip top shape, and room to roll and move around. So, some people don't like exercise and some do.....but we all know exercise is good for us. So, for these mares, it's important to know that exercise is very important for her to keep her muscles strong and ready to do some extremely hard work.
default_yes.gif
Good point! Plus the exercise is good for me too. She felt great today and we did a nice long walk, some jogging, and a few little jumps. She was happy.

Latest posts

Back