Exciting news!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
The University of Kentucky has developed a DNA test for the sabino pattern!
aktion033.gif
It should be available soon to the public. I can't wait to have some tested as the minimally marked horses might be sabino or something else. Now we'll know for sure!
smile.gif

Great, I can have Deva and Mia checked to see if they are sabino. Can't wait till it is available.

No they have not. They have isolated JUST ONE of the MANY genes of the sabino complex. The only gene they have isolated is the one that causes maximum white sabino expression when homozygous - it is not the sabino gene that allows white pigment but instead one that determines the amount of white pigment. Many horses that are known to be other expressions of sabino and were included in U of KY's research DO NOT have this gene. Research is ongoing and hopefully they will eventually know more. Last I heard there were no plans to release any sort of test until more research had been done and more genes of the complex were isolated.

I know several people who have horses included in the research - both maximum white sabinos and other expressions of sabino - so have been kept appraised of the latest developments in this research as they have been released.

That's great.

Thanks for the update Becky

saludando.gif

Tommy

Okay, maybe I need to put this another way.........

The gene that U of KY has isolated (designated Sb1) is one that not all Sabino horses have!

Many minimal Sabinos in the research group have not tested to have Sb1. This is the gene that is associated with Maximum White Sabinos and other very high white expressions of Sabino. All Maximum White Sabinos in the test group tested homozygous for Sb1. Many known minimal Sabinos (Arabs, TB's & Foxtrotters that I know of for sure) tested to not have Sb1.

Most people in the equine color genetics community believe Sb1 to be one of several pattern genes that tells the Sabino gene where to put white and how much white to put on. It is a Sabino gene but it is not Sabino itself.

That's interesting to know, Lewella. Due to some other information I had, I contacted the Dr Cothran at the University directly and this is what he told me:

Becky,

Yes we have a test. It should be available very soon, we are currently

getting everything set up to provide testing to interested horse

owners. Cost is the same as for the other color tests and the forms used

for those tests can be used, just write in Sabino and cross out the other test.

Gus Cothran

He didn't give any specifics as to which or how many genes they could test for. The test will be very useful for many breeders and hopefully, more sabino genes can be isolated!

WOW! the advances that genetic testing have brought to the equine industry seem to be growing by leaps and bounds! I can't wait till this test is available.

I 'suspect' that Cowboy carries sabino for several reasons so it sure would be interesting to have him tested. One year all of his foals had considerable white markings on the face although only one mare had any face white.........I was amazed and wondered if sabino could have anything to do with it. Or it may have just been the weather
biggrin.gif

I suspect his dam of carrying sabino too. I don't have a picture of his sire
sad.gif

Charlotte

Wow that's really exciting! Can't wait to hear more about it... :)

Ginny Long

Thank you for sharing the info with us, Becky! We all appreciate it!!!!!!!!

The problem is, that given what little part of sabino they have isolated, many horses that are sabino test negative with this test. People need to understand, the horses that were used to isolate this gene were the maximum white sabinos, not normal expression or minimal expression sabinos. These aren't the horses you need to test to find out if they are sabino!

The ones we really need a test for, the minimals who can never produce a max white, test NEGATIVE for this Sb1 gene.

All this test is going to tell you is if your horse has a gene that when homozygous and combined with other genes of the sabino complex COULD produce a maximum white sabino.

Lewella said:
The problem is, that given what little part of sabino they have isolated, many horses that are sabino test negative with this test.  People need to understand, the horses that were used to isolate this gene were the maximum white sabinos, not normal expression or minimal expression sabinos.  These aren't the horses you need to test to find out if they are sabino! 
The ones we really need a test for, the minimals who can never produce a max white, test NEGATIVE for this Sb1 gene. 

All this test is going to tell you is if your horse has a gene that when homozygous and combined with other genes of the sabino complex COULD produce a maximum white sabino.

417927[/snapback]

Lewella,

I think I understand what you are saying, but doesn't this mean that this could identify a horse that is not maximum expression itself but if bred to a horse with like genes could produce a maximum expression? And, if they test negative, they will NOT produce a maximum expression under any circumstances. It seems that this could benefitial to some breeders. Maybe not a perfect test, but at least a step in the right direction?

Exactly! And that could be very beneficial to some breeders as Freeland said. I'm very excited about it!

Very exciting news, Becky! Now, if they could just figure out Appys!
new_shocked.gif

Viki

Thanks Becky and Lewella for this information.

It will prove interesting to see how the test being offered will be used.

I have two mares that are white (dark eyes not blue) that I've wondered about as far as maximum sabino or ?

I'm going to save this thread for future reference.

Thanks again you two for the info!

Latest posts

Back