Excessive weight gain in mare?!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is she currently eating? Maybe it's something to do with the season/temperature changes, if she's on pasture it might be changes in pasture quality due to changing seasons. Hope you can get her right quickly.
I hope so too. She eats a small amount of Safechoice Perform grain with a half dose of Smart Energy supplement twice a day. She also gets a half a flake of hay with the grain. She goes out on dry lot every day, no grass. Occasionally put her out to grass (like once every two weeks)but with a muzzle.

What is she currently eating? Maybe it's something to do with the season/temperature changes, if she's on pasture it might be changes in pasture quality due to changing seasons. Hope you can get her right quickly.
I hope so too. She eats a small amount of Safechoice Perform grain with a half dose of Smart Energy supplement twice a day. She also gets a half a flake of hay with the grain. She goes out on dry lot every day, no grass. Occasionally put her out to grass (like once every two weeks)but with a muzzle.

Well, it wouldn't be changes in pasture causing it, but still could be seasonal changes. Wonder if it's more along the lines of ulcers rather than colic. One of my mares presented with colic-like symptoms, turns out it was ulcers. Perhaps your mare for some reason doesn't handle seasonal changes well, and putting her on a daily ulcer preventative would help; the variety of meds weren't out there when my mare was having problems, so I put her on U-Gard pellets, it doesn't cure ulcers, but does seem to help prevent them. [Maybe it does cure given enough time, but Gastro-Gard wasn't available that I recall at the time I had issues with my mare, she seems to have outgrown it.]

So I just read your whole thread, it seems clear that pregnancy is out as a cause. But the big thing that hit me was she is acting just like my mare that had ulcers! Ulcers will definitely cause them to be touchy in the flank, they also lay down and don't want to get up. Another sign of the ulcers are in the stomach, as opposed to hind gut, they may stretch out their neck and curl their upper lip. Two things I would do right away, a small hole hay net so she can pick at hay all day and not have an empty stomach. Stop any sweet feed or treats, or anything containing molasses. I fed a ration balancer with alfalfa pellets, because the calcium helps neutralize stomach acid. Ask your vet about starting omneprazole, once a day, see if within a week her behavior greatly improves, if so You would probably want to give it for a month, then move her onto a u guard pellet or other feed type preventative.

The thing with banamine and ulcers is they initially feel better, but feel much worse as the banamine wears off because banamine is very hard on the stomach lining.

I don't know if that is what she has, but since it has been going on for several months, maybe worth thought.

Latest posts

Back