Excessive weight gain in mare?!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Reaction score
I bought my mare, Angel, last month on April 11th. She was healthy, sound and most importantly, she was a bit fat, but I was pretty sure I could work it off of her. However, this month I noticed she has started gaining weight instead of losing. She goes out to pasture a few hours a day with a grazing muzzle on. Then, she is driven every other day and lunged on the days she isnt. One of my mares popped her splint about 6 days ago, so Angel hasnt been outside since then because it would have driven the mare who had to be on stall rest crazy. Now, here comes the bad part. Yesterday, she got sick. Im still not 100% sure what was wrong. The vet came out and she wasnt sure either, but she had some guesses. She was laying down, and when I walked in, she didnt get up. This was unusual, because when she does lay down, she normally shoots up as soon as you walk in the door. I had to force her up, and then I ran inside to text my mom and sister. I suspected mild gas colic, because she looked like she was having some stomach pains, she pinned her ears when I touched her stomach, and she kept looking at her stomach. However, her gut was making excessive noises, and when horses colic their guts dont make any sounds. When I came back out to see her after texting my mom, she was down again. I had to force her up again. I had to do this a few times. I threw her a bit of hay and she just nibbled around the edges, although she normally chomps it down. I then started walking her around, and she was very lethargic, and wanted to stop. She didnt try to roll or nip her stomach at all though. My sister came home from work, and she said she seemed a little colicky. But, one of the first things she also said was "Could she be pregnant?" because her stomach was so big. I know she has been gaining weight, but she did look really big last night. Im not sure if this was bloating from the supposed colic, or something else. She was bred last year by her previous owners about mid-june or late may. Her owner had said she hasnt gotten pregnant though, but she did let the stallion mate. She finally seemed to start being herself again at the end of the night. She seemed more alert, and was eating, but she still pinned her ears and sometimes even tried to kick if you would touch her lower stomach. The vet came out this morning, and we told her about how we thought she coliced, but how she did look kind of pregnant, and she said she was acting like a pregnant mare. We ultrasounded her,though and the vet couldnt find any signs of pregnancy. She did say though, that sometimes if mares are pregnant, that at the end of their pregnancy the baby can be hard to see when ultrasounding because it is almost ready to foal and it has kind of taken/sucked up the fluid that the vet looks for on ultrasounds to see if she is pregnant. She is really big, she is 51 inches around her stomach, compared to my other mini who is 44 inches around his stomach. She does not have any udder development, which makes me think that pregnancy is unlikely.

So, I guess my questions are, do you think she could possibly be pregnant? Or do you think she just had mild colic, and is just bloated? What about the weight gain, what can I do about that, and is that normal or should I be worried? I am going to post pictures of her stomach in the comments because the pictures are on my computer and I am posting this from my phone.

Here are the pictures. This is from May 2nd at a show. I will go out and take a picture of her now. Im also going to send pics of how she normally looks in show shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures don't look nearly as big as she is. She is 51 inches around her stomach. She is big enough for my sister and the vet to suspect she could be pregnant.

Okay. Sorry for all the pictures, this is the last one, I swear. These are pictures of how she was laying down last night.. and better pictures of her belly.

I downloaded your last picture and while fuzzy on my computer, I lightened it and brightened it, it looks like she is lopsided looking at her from the back. Is that the case, does her belly look to stick out more on one side than other? If so, then she quite likely could be pregnant; it's the "pregnant look" to have them be lopsided from side to side.

I downloaded your last picture and while fuzzy on my computer, I lightened it and brightened it, it looks like she is lopsided looking at her from the back. Is that the case, does her belly look to stick out more on one side than other? If so, then she quite likely could be pregnant; it's the "pregnant look" to have them be lopsided from side to side.
I think it is bigger on one side, actually, but I cant remember. I will have to look at her tonight, again.

I think it's very likely that she's pregnant, and from my experience with sheep, she's also very close to delivering the foal (likely within a week or two)

Any chance you could take a pic looking directly behind her from down at her level ? Also does she have any udder development ?
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance you could take a pic looking directly behind her from down at her level ? Also does she have any udder development ?
default_smile.png
I believe I have a picture like thst on my phone, will send it in a second. No, no udder devolopment, I think I said that in the original post. Thats why I was unsure.

Sorry I just re read your opening post (flu is getting the better of me today)

If the original owner saw a stallion breed her then there is every possibility she is pregnant. Did the original owner have her ultrasounded or was it a wild guess ?

default_smile.png
Okay, here are the picture/s I have. Is this what you were looking for? It's late here, but if this isn't what you were looking for I could take another tomorrow morning.

Sorry I just re read your opening post (flu is getting the better of me today)

If the original owner saw a stallion breed her then there is every possibility she is pregnant. Did the original owner have her ultrasounded or was it a wild guess ?
I'm not sure, they didn't tell me, they just said she hadn't taken. I bet they would have had a vet out, though, they don't really seem like the people to just take a wild guess. Sometimes vets miss the foal though. I'm not sure.

The photo is a little blurry , but to me that does look like a lopsided tummy. I would say you might well be expecting a little one
default_smile.png

If you would like your thread moved over to the Marestare section of this forum, just ask and the admin team will happily move it over.

Diane who looks after that section of the forum is amazing and will be able to help you out with any questions you might have
default_smile.png

Well, I just spoke to her old owner snd she said that she was last bred on April 29th, 2014, so I dont think its as likely that she is pregnant, because she'd be 392 days! However, if she was bloated, her stomach would have gone down. I measured her yesterday and she was somewhere around 50-51 inches around her stomach, and that's how she measured today. She is still touchy about her stomach.

Forgot to say that her old owner had Angel take a blood test to figure out if she was pregnant, and I guess the hormone levels were not high enough to indicate pregnancy.

I think Im just going to take her off the grass, and continue to work her, and then she should lose weight. She must be getting more grass through her muzzle than I thought!

Latest posts

Back