Ever try to change a law? and UPDATE TOO

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Do you know in this state you can serve more time for stealing a pack of gum from a convenient store than killing someone? Sad, but very true.

I've seen movies where people can contact their politicians, complain a lot and get laws changed. I've been trying that for the past nearly two years now with absolutely no luck.

Here's the thing and what happens: First of all, no one is ever in their office. Never. Where are they? Heck if I know but no one is in their office. I call and call and call and follow up with a letter. EVERYONE is soooooooo nice when I do get to talk to someone and and usually responds with a very nice letter. They agree with me too! Then they tell me who else needs to be contacted so I do that too. They also respond and agree with me. Then they pass the buck on someone else. Day after day, month after month, now I am up to over a year 3/4 with this. I've been to office after office and I really wish they would stop being so darn patronizing when in fact, nothing gets done. I really cannot figure it out anymore. Oh, I won't quit, but just wanted to vent a little bit I guess about when people say to call your congressmen, that's pretty much a joke now. Sorry if I seem a bit cranky, I am.

Next I found out today from my Victim Crime Unit lady that Michael's killer will now only serve 3 years. Since he already served two, they are going to count that in as time already served on other charges that ran concurrently. Nobody bothered to tell us that. Now I'm like, Who do I call to complain about that? And the answer was "no one, it's a done deal..........." I swear this system.....

Last, I just can't tell you how much good your letters are doing that you sent and are sending. They tell me that this kind of support will make a huge impact on the parole board so I cannot thank you all enough. You who have written your letters are making a difference in the world today. Think about it. You really are!

Much Love to All and Great Thanks from the Garrison's to You

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty, you've said it before when an animal is being abused, call the TV stations, the news papers, the radios. Get freinds and neighbors to call. We'll also call and write. You have to MAKE SOME NOISE!! That is all they understand.

If for one minute those politicians even think you are going to make noise about this they will listen and try to find ways to keep the people of your state happy and re-electing them. They don't want to loose their nice cushey "jobs".

Get letters to the editor going let us know who and where to write or send e-mails.

Marty, I am so sorry to hear this update.

My opinion, personally, (not asking for flames or debates), is if you dont have money, you dont mean S**T.

I too think that it is high times for you to really let that momma bear, I know is busting to get out, out of its cage, and go on a rampage. Make yourself a HUGE pain in the rear, to anyone who can do even a little bit. Throw a tantrum! Get anyone you can on board, cry beg plead yell scream. The more publicity you can gather the better. Just maybe, someone who can change something, will stand up and take notice to you. But you have to find the right person. And it will take forever with phone calls and letters. TV RADIO NEWSPAPER INTERNET, are here for us to use.

You can not be the only family facing this. Find others, hold a rally, once a month, even if its just a few people on a street corner. Soon more will come. And more, and with them they bring others. People will notice. BE PASSIONATE! This was your child, and no one knows how you feel inside but you. So make people know.

Marty, you may not be able to stop what is happening, right now. But perhaps, you can make a change, even if it takes 10 years. And save other familys from suffering like your family is.

S**T stinks! And untill its removed, it continues to stink.

I used this tactic, and I alone, one woman, who means nothing to many people, to go against the Army. My husband was in boot camp, both of his feet were broken in basic. He wanted OUT. He would cry to me on the phone to get him out. So I called and at first spoke to privates. When they didnt help me, I would become a HUGE Bi***. Yell scream cry beg. And I would get hung up on. I would call right back. And again and again untill the poor private got tired of me, and passed me along to someone else. Being an army base, I was lucky that most phones were answered 24/7. I used and abused the system. Who really wants to deal with an irate woman at 4 am? I would call at all hours. Three four times in a row. I was a mess, no sleep, no food, for two or three weeks. The Army was simply flat out refusing to let my husband out. They owned him. They expected him to sit around on his butt at a desk untill he healed ( 6-9 months) then restart basic all over again. Not very fair in my eyes. I slowly at firsty, worked my way up the chain, office to office, privates, chaplains, so on and so forth. I was simply evil. Nasty. I broke no laws, I was not afraid, what could they do to me but hang up on me. They started getting nasty with me. Threats, cussed at, I knew they were getting tired of me. At one point my husband called me, and told me a high ranking officer stopped in to see him and DEMANDED he control his wife. Travis told him he didnt know what was going on, and I was my own person free to do what she wanted. I snatched up that officers name and about three hours later, let loose on him. By this time, Travis was starting to hear chatter about some nut job trying to spring her husband. At the end, I was on the phone with the VERY man who had control over the entire base. That goose was already cooked. I did not have to yell scream demand. As usual I would state my name, and politely get to my point, and went from there. I got to my name part, he simply said he knew very well who I was, and he was preparing the paperwork for a discharge. It was dishonorable, but I didnt care.

Travis didnt know what was going on. No one told him anything. I prepared to drive to Georgia the next morning. The VERY day, of this, my preparing was September 10. I went to bed and slept. I awoke to a phone call the next morning. It was a good female friend of mine. She was frantic. Where is Travis she kept asking, I told her, on the base. I didnt know what was going on. She told me our country was under attack. I turned on the TV just in time to see live, the second plane to hit the towers. I watched the news, I cried, I prayed. And then the announcement was made that ALL military based were in Lock down. NO ONE IN NO ONE OUT. I woke my cousin, we got in the car, and drove straight to Georgia anyways. All I remember of that trip was the radio was always on news, no matter the station. And I dont know if you remember, but EVERY car drove with its lights on. Even in daylight. I just counted cars.

I had enough money for gas and two nights hotel room. I got to Georgia. By this time Travis was allowed to use a phone without having to sneak around. He told me he had papers, but was missing 3 signatures to make it legal, all non important personel were not working, and he didnt know when they would be back. I stayed for the two nights I could afford. I was going to have to go home without my husband. The man in the room next door knew why I was there. He knew I was broke. He checked out right after wishing me luck. About 10 minutes later I was called to the office. My room had been paid one more night.

The next day, I was walking back to the laundry room. Two guys were walking across the parking lot, and one yelled Hey! I turned, gave them a dirty look, and kept walking. Again, HEY! I turned and said what? He said, "Dont you know your own husband when you see him?" He had lost weight, all his hair was shaved off, but it was him.

He told me he had gone to the chaplain, and cried, and told him I was here, and getting ready to leave without him, because he was missing 3 signatures. The chaplain took him to some high ranked guy, talked to him, and the guy simply told him, I have no orders for you, I can not legaly keep you from leaving. If you want out of here, I advise you to RUN. Go now, before the MPs catch you. And he did. He ran to his stuff, picked his bag up, and ran untill he got a taxi. And he was free.

This is, aside from my children, my proudest moment. I fought the law, and I won. So many odds were against me, no one would help me. Not even lawyers. All I did was made myself a huge thorn in the side until they got tired of it. PUSH PUSH PUSH.

Im sorry this post turned out so long. I really hope there is some part of it you can use. If being nice and polite isnt working, try something else. Good luck to you. You do need it. I will do all I can to help, if you need.

I'm sure you have done and are continuing to do everything that can be done. IMO, there are just WAY too many politicians out there. No one has to answer to anyone, they just pass it on to someone else!

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Changing the law is hard. The main problem is jail overpopulation. And in order to control it, they let out people early. And some think that vehicular manslaughter is a lesser charge than burglary since they think burglarly is a reoccurring problem. I just lost someone I knew to a car accident when someone ran a red light. Whether or not this guy gets any charges will be up to the investigation. We're going to the viewing tonight and the funeral tommorrow. Its hard, but hang in there!
default_wub.png

Back