Estimate of Vet Costs, Pls. (Seattle Area)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngC

Reaction score
We purchased two horsies at the Nordstrom Meadowood dispersal auction in the latter part of March.... one was a little appaloosa stud and one was a little grey-ish mare. In late June, the mare suddenly became ill (i.e., before I left for about an hour, I checked on them; when I returned, she wasn't "right.") Within an hour or so after that, our neighbor, a vet, treated her for colic. He returned the next day (approx. 24 hours later) and her condition had changed/worsened to the point where we made the decision to put her down.

Apparently, our vet-neighbor doesn't bill his neighbors. We've asked several times for an invoice. I think it is priceless to have a vet living so close and want to pay him but have absolutely no clue what this costs. (i.e., I can't call somebody and ask them to treat our animal if I haven't paid them for the prior visit.) THE QUESTION... Will someone (a vet would be good) please give me some idea of how much such a service costs? Thanks.

...geez, I hope I don't get spammed/slaughtered/criticized over this question (the hurt is still too fresh...)

My husband who has had no contact with horses other than a stable nag once and thus doesn't "like horses" picked her out (the mare) when we went to the auction... He said she looked like an Indian horse and named her Pocahontas. After a couple weeks, she would recognize the sound of his truck diesel engine when he came home from work and would be poking her nose through the fence waiting for him to pet her and call her his honey-baby.

I can't help you with your question as I am in Europe and I am sure prices are different I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss.

It hurts to lose them. So sorry!

Suggestion: A nice thank you card put 100 in it with a note, and write your feelings for your gratitue. Sometimes from the heart is priceless.

So sorry for your pain and loss of your baby.

My thought is this... Take the kindness of the gift and say thank you then if you really feel stongly about giving something back.... pass along the gift of kindness to someone else... I am sure that rather than you try to guess what his services cost and try to pay him he would rather you make a donation to a local vet rescue in your horse's honor. Random acts of kindness, it is nice to pass them along... don't turn them down.
default_wub.png
Your neighbor is sweet... take his honorable gift message to the community and keep it extra special by helping someone else.

default_saludando.gif

PS, you can also make random acts of kindness right back to your vet neighbor... I worked for a vet and he wouldn't take money for some services for people he knew could not pay, or for some that their pets died very tragically in spite of valient efforts.., but funny thing is that tomatoes, pies, cookies would magically appear at the office and he would just grin.

Your vet IMO is a very nice guy and I am sure when your baby died he felt awful for you...and he wants to do something for you....loyalty and friendship is priceless. You will remember his kindness all of your life.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My thought is this... Take the kindness of the gift and say thank you then if you really feel stongly about giving something back.... pass along the gift of kindness to someone else... I am sure that rather than you try to guess what his services cost and try to pay him he would rather you make a donation to a local vet rescue in your horse's honor. Random acts of kindness, it is nice to pass them along... don't turn them down. Your neighbor is sweet... take his honorable gift message to the community and keep it extra special by helping someone else.
I agree, please take this act of kindness and pass it on...let him know if you wish, but accept what he has given you. When my stallion died as a result of an allergic reaction to penicillin given (routinely) after the gelding procedure...(even after the vet did all he could do)...he sent a card and letter offering his condolences and understanding of how traumatic it was for me...instead of a bill. I accepted, but did donate to a cause dear to him.

I would make a donation to a local charity in his name. That way they will send him a thankyou card for the donation. He will appreciate that, especially if it's a animal charity.

He didn't ask to be paid and apparently doesn't want to be paid. I would respect his decision.

Kindness should be returned with kindness, maybe not today or tomorrow, but someday the kindness could be returned.

I never charge for services performed at a show. Once I get paid I now have a level of responsibility I do not want to have while I'm on vacation. But, beer is always good.

Dr Taylor

What a nice person.You could call his office staff to find out his favorite charity and make a donation in his name.If that doesn't work maybe make a donation to Chances Mini Horse Rescue in his name.There are always lots of Minis in need of care and Chances does a great job.How lucky you are to have such a nice person as your neighbor.

most often in these situations it is the vets time that is what is being charged, he wanted to help both you and your mini and that is obviously enough for him. The vets in my practice occasionally do things free of charge to help out good clients and clients that are loyal because it makes them feel better and I always have to giggle at the pride and smiles that cross their face when they read the thank you notes, eat that delicious chocolate or sift through the gift/fruit basket, some days those feelings are worth more than money when you know the recipient of your deed actually appreciates it and doesnt expect it!

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I think your neighbor/vet is a wonderful person. God bless him. If it were me, I'd buy him a nice card and bake him a pie or batch of cookies. Sometimes, I just stop with candy or coffee and doughnuts at my vet's office. It's just a small gesture but it lets them know that I appreciate them and all they do for the animals.

Thank you so much for your responses. But....

Donating to a charity doesn't seem like a good idea to me, because it doesn't help him pay his mortgage or feed their young child etc.,etc., etc. This guy does this for a living; we utilized his services and I feel we owe. ...I just, genuinely, do not know how much. I have no clue what to pay and do not want to offend by paying too little.

I sure wish someone would weigh in with at least some idea of ballpark cost for such services. Afterall, the drugs administerd cost him something... (On the first visit, he administered colic medicine (forget the name) and two painkillers; one into the vein and one into the muscle. The next night he injected whatever is used to put an animal down. So in addition to the time spent away from his family, he spent money upfront on the drugs.) Someone mentioned 100. That doesn't even seem close... We had to give 150 to the company that took Pokee and ground her up for dog food.

Dr. Taylor's response (here) brought up a point that concerns me.... i.e., regarding level of responsibility... I do have an ulterior motive here; I would like to pay the guy for his services because the odds are good that the replacement mare we purchased might be knocked up. (...despite our best efforts, see note below.) And I would like to be able to enlist his services in the future; which I just wouldn't do if I don't pay for past services.

Note:

After Pokee died, Nicky (the little stud) was all screwed up. He absolutely sent me in a panic when he laid down flat in the mud for 8 hours flat on his side AND quit eating; (Nicky likes his food.!) He was so miserable we got him a new girl. When we brought her home, we again tried to keep them separate (on the theory that since we don't know what the heck we're doing we don't need a pregnant horse.) That lasted until about five minutes after we left the area. Coco (the new girl) was locked in her stall; Nicky was in another pasture away from the barn. It was late, by them, so my husband and I sat on the porch for a beer and a rest. ...next thing we heard was about simultaneous; Nicky charged through the rail fence and Coco somehow vaulted the stall door (built at a height for normal horses; she could barely poke her nose at the top of it.) So after that we gave up. and Coco might have a little something in her belly. ...and I have no clue how to deal with that. so I really need to pay this guy!!!

In my area, if a vet were to come out for a colic and then another visit to put the horse down.............it would be around $200.00 for colic (farm call, oil the horse, & meds) and around $150.00 or more for drugs and farm call to euthanize.

Donating to a charity doesn't seem like a good idea to me, because it doesn't help him pay his mortgage or feed their young child etc.,etc., etc. This guy does this for a living; we utilized his services and I feel we owe. ...I just, genuinely, do not know how much. I have no clue what to pay and do not want to offend by paying too little.
I don't think you have to worry over-much about how he will feed his family. If he couldn't afford to do it, he wouldn't of. Personally, I think you will do more to offend by insisting on not accepting his generosity.

I understand what you are saying - that you feel obligated to pay him something but I also agree that he may feel insulted if you don't accept his offer to "help" you. Perhaps a gift certificate to a local grocery store or farm store if he has animals. Our neighbor gives us something like that or a dining certificate each year for plowing her drive even though my husband tells her it's not necessary.

My vets are not THAT helpful! I had to call for an emergency on the weekend. $68 just for the "emergency call" and another $52 to drive to the house and then the other charges for services and medicine began.

I understand what you're saying too, but still feel like if he said no to payment, then don't push it. My vets are amazing and they give me breaks-i give them a lot of business! I rescued a fawn off the side of the road once and brought him in for xrays and he was given meds, tubes, etc (was hit by a car so needed a lot of attention). My vet charged me $80. I was expecting at least $800! I refer everyone to them, I give them christmas cards, i give them food and drinks during farm calls, and I always use them when I need a vet. I try to repay them in other ways like that. They save my 'babies' lives so I appreciate them.

You said the vet was your neighbor-can you have him and his family over for dinner? Tell him you appreciate what he has done for you and ask him for help with your possibly pregnant mare, but let him know you will be paying him for it
default_smile.png
Of course not during the dinner though lol. You could always offer to watch his kids while he and his significant other go on a date too. My mom always liked that present more than any other!

I'm so sorry for your loss
default_sad.png

Why not have him over for dinner? Or give him a gift cert to a nice place to eat in your area? Maybe put the cert in a nice gift basket? You can secretly ask his staff what goodies he likes, then put them in the basket too.

He gave you a gift. There's no reason why you can't give him a nice gift basket in return, with a card saying how much what he did meant to you etc.

Such a thing will mean much more to him than a money amount and will still be respectful of his wishes!

You could sneak money or a gift card into a Christmas card, I think $100 would definitely do, and merely say "thank you" within the card. If you could do it anonymously that would be best. Sneaky giving is fun! Even if he does very well for himself I'm still sure it would be extremely appreciated at this time of the year.

Thank you, SampleMM (Corry, PA).... this at least gives me some idea. I had ballparked it and wasn't too far off the mark. Thanks.

Since it seems you want a number.. The last colic I had cost me $875 within a matter of 5 hours. That included banamine injections, oiling, pumping water into her twice, office fee/exam and euthing. We are in NV though.

So sorry for your loss. I know first hand how hard it is to loose them. I agree it would be nice to give them a nice Christmas gift or such. You are lucky to not only have a "neighborly neighbor" but a good vet.

He absolutely sent me in a panic when he laid down flat in the mud for 8 hours flat on his side AND quit eating; (Nicky likes his food.!)
That sounds like he had a colic going on as well.... I trust that you got him up and out of the mud!
default_smile.png

on the theory that since we don't know what the heck we're doing we don't need a pregnant horse.)
I think your theory was right.

I wish you had gelded him - especially if you have no experience with breeding and foaling - but that is for another thread/topic.
default_unsure.png

That kind of an emergency vet call (twice) plus treatment, drugs and euthanasia would easily be around $500 and maybe even closer to the $850 that was already mentioned. I am sorry that you had to go through that sadness with Pokee...

Latest posts

Back