Erica's Geisha is acting funny

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arlene

I as for the concentration of milk to water.......I used the Mother Natures test strips as well (I just haven't placed my 08 order yet) along with the pH. It calls for a 1 to 2 dilution. Some things you get (most made for big horses say) 3cc milk to 6cc water........but for minis I've always used 1.5 milk to 3cc water. And if I have a mare that I want to test but doesn't have "a lot" of milk I do .75cc milk to 1.5 cc water.

Mother Natures tests for CA levels; and then the pool strips test for Hardness and pH.

I've never had a problem with using the small amount of milk requried for testing; as on the mares when they get close I test daily. When they are progessing I'll test about every other day or every third day.

Of course it's not a "cure all" as you can see with Geisha, or CC last year tested last square on Mother Natures (Calcium tests) for like a week, she was a maiden and I was about to give up and that is when I started the pool tests as well........and she tested 1000 on hardness (as high as it goes) and 6.2 on ph (as low as it goes) and foaled 4 hrs later.

Then I've had mares test just so-so on hardess to foaling "soon"; with like 7.4ph and 400 hardness; but tested last square on CA test and foaled the next morning.

Anything helps though. so between just watching daily, the strips, breeder alert, cams and marestare; I only missed on foaling in the past two years and it was a maiden mare who snuck one in last year....

I have some pictures of the lil one, uploading and downsizing them now and will post on the picture forum in just a bit...

Thanks Erica I too have a mare that I have been watching for a long time or so it seems. She is pasture bred but she go so big and she is just now developing a bag. I really just saw fetal movement two weeks ago although she is quite hairy it is hard to see. I have two mares here that don't develop a real big bag and sometimes it is so hard to tell I though I would use the strips. Thanks for you help

Arlene

Give Louie and Romeo a big hug from me

Sorry to hear about Geisha, but you do have two other BEAUTIFUL little girls.
default_wub.png

Erica,

Sorry to hear the news on Geisha....

But can they have a false pregnancy, and milk,gain weight and for so long? That is weird that she is showing all signs of foaling and no baby... If so then she is REALLY SYMPATHETIC to the other Mamas in foal!

At least your other 2 had pretty fillies for you, and I know you have more to come. I'll be watching them now...

Awe i am sorry to hear that Geisha doesnt have a bun in the oven, well next years foals will be twice as special
default_smile.png
default_wink.png
. Atleast she was fun to watch on cam unil 3:00 in the morning :DOH!.

I cant believe she is not in foal
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back