Equipage users...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
After the loss of our foal last weekend, I have decided that I will not have another foal born here unless I have the Equipage system, or some other kind of alert system. I have the video system but that didn't do me any good this time as I was exhausted after a month of being on mare stare. Those of you who use this kind of system, have you ever had it not set-off when a mare is foaling? I know there will probably be many false alarms but that's okay!!! I am trying to minimize any kind of repeat of what I went through this year if I can. Doesn't mean that we may not have another loss but at least I would be present to help in any kind of emergency foaling situations.

I bought the equipage this year and successfully was present at all four births. A lot of false alarms yes but when used with a video system it seemes to be very good. Only problems I had were User error. Meaning the horse was laying flat asleep and I turned it off and did not get up to turn it back on. I know several people have written about a "reset" feature for just that occassion but I never figured it out. I eventually went to an egg timer by the bed and would set the timer to wake up and turn the pager back on!

We love the equipage. :aktion033: We got it this year. We had our first mare foal the pager worked great. our second mare who has had four foals did not set the pager off. The vet thinks she might have had the foal stands. The foals was okay thank God.The third mare who is a maiden set the pager off. Yes I would get a alarm system of some type. If helps with those sleeply nights.You will have some times the alarm will be false alarms, but it is worth it to safe a foal.

good luck

We did have one mare that didn't set it off as she was sternal throughout her labor and we just happened to get lucky and caught her on the monitor. That is very rare, plus if she were to have gotten into trouble, I am sure she would have gone flat on her side and done some rolling. She is an older mare who has had many foals, so I am guessing there was plenty of room for baby to exit.

I LOVE my Equipage and monitor system! The only false alarms I've had are mares that LOVE to SLEEP laying flat out and human error (put the unit in the pouch backwards). It's truley been a life saver here!

Viki

I used it for one mare last year, and for the first time on all mares this year. I didn't miss one, and I would have for sure missed one without it, totally didn't expect her to foal that night.

All my mares slept at least part of the night flat on their side right up to foaling, soo lots and lots of false alarms! Most of them wore it for about 2 weeks before foaling, and it worked well for me.

Danielle, same here as with your other positive responses. We've used it since 2001 and love it. I've had a couple mares that didn't set it off but we caught them on the cam. One of those had her foal standing up then the other did set it off after I was in the barn. She didn't lie flat til she was pushing the foal out.

I'm sorry I wasn't around to post on your loss. Hugs to you and I just know you'll be happy with the Equipage system.

Debi

We also invested in the Equipage this year...it was the best money ever spent as far as we are concerned. Yes we have mares that sleep laid out flat and cause false alarms, but I would rather have a false alarm than lose a foal. We have the camera system and are also hooked up with Mare Stare.

One of our older mares never set the pager off as she foaled "sitting up" (not laid out flat), but someone on Mare Stare happened to see her pushing at 4:00 am and called us. She would have had the foal fine by herself. It was nice that we are using all of the options available to us to watch our mares and be there if a mare gets in trouble.

My advice.......get the cameras, become a client of Mare Stare and buy the Equipage...you will be glad you did.

Steph

It has saved MANY foals here
default_yes.gif
: . Will it save all , no. I watched 1 mare drop the baby while walking across the paddock and not look back to see the foal for 10 minutes. I got it out of the sack and it was fine. Have had others foal not laying flat too. But in MOST cases Its a lifesaver and u at least know u are doing everything u can do to save the foal and mare.

Equipage, camera systems and Marestare - all three are a must for any miniature breeder. We did have some sneaky mares that foaled outside when they were not wearing their Equipage halter - but that was our fault - and luckily everything turned out fine. We also had one mare that foaled standing up - I had to help pull the foal and she didn't even make any attempt to lay down - so Equipage wouldn't have helped with that foaling. Lots of false alarms - but I would rather have a thousand false alarms than miss a foaling. I also have cams that are attached to a computer and the video is fed up to the Marestare server. That way more than my eyes are watching at any given time. People will call you to let you know that your mare is looking suspicious - and those calls are so much appreciated - even if I am already out there watching the mare.

So - with Equipage, cams and Marestare - there is an excellent chance that you will be their for the foaling.

Also - with Marestare - you get to know so many people and there is a whole world of support out there for you if you should ever need it.

Cyndi

Misty Moon Equines

Canada

www.mistymoonequines.com

I totally love my Equipage system, I cannot imagine foaling out mares without it. We do have a lot of false alarms but we have our tv monitor in our bedroom so when the beeper goes off, I just have to check the monitor to see if it is for real or a false alarm.

It is an expense but I feel that if it saves just 1 foal it is well worth the $$$.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I am SOLD. I am going to purchase one, won't foal another mare without it. I was thinking of also using marestare. I guess I will just have to ensure I am dressed appropriately whenever I go to the barn in the middle of the night, ROFL :bgrin

We've used the Equipage in conjunction with the camera and monitor. Once it is set up properly, we've had no problems. It's a lifesaver.........for the mare and foal...........and gives you peace of mind and an opportunity to get some rest at night.

The only times we have missed are

1. Mare who foaled in the dry lot..............we were going to put the pager on her that night........but she fooled us
  2. Mare we had been watching on camera...........pager was on ANOTHER mare..............when we went out to feed in the morning........new foal was with her in the stall
  3. Now we know we should have two pagers ...........one for each mare!

We have the Breeder Alert system which works the same way and combined with the monitors, it is a great system. Now that I'm not foaling anymore, I also use it for a colicky horses so I know if they are rolling when I'm not in the barn or asleep. The cameras are handy for that also.

Joyce L
default_yes.gif
:

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I am SOLD. I am going to purchase one, won't foal another mare without it. I was thinking of also using marestare. I guess I will just have to ensure I am dressed appropriately whenever I go to the barn in the middle of the night, ROFL :bgrin

LOL - I was worried about being dressed appropriately at first - but I have come to the conclusion that nobody is watching what you are wearing - they are watching the foaling - so I am pretty comfortable wth whatever I have on - and the hair is usually a disaster - but oh well!!!!!

You won't be disappointed with MareStare - I would highly recommend it - can't imagine foaling without MareStare and Equipage - they kind of go hand in hand!!!!!!!! Best of luck to you in your future foalings.

Latest posts

Back