Equine Massage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&H Miniatures

Reaction score
I am a physical therapist assistant. I love doing massage on people and have recently begin to think about becoming certified in equine massage and possibly equine sports therapy. I know I have lots of learning to do, but I would honestly love to help horses with their problems and perform better. Especially I would love to work with these lovely miniature horses. Just wondering if you have used a massage therapist/equine rehab. therapist or have heard of any other mini owners/trainers using them? Let me know. Also, do you know of any good training schools, whether it be home study or onsite. Thanks and Godbless all, Kristy

I've used an equine massage therapist, at Nationals. Those long trips can be really hard on the horses, and after a couple of massages my horses felt SO much better.
default_yes.gif

I had a certified Feldenkrais therapist work on one of my horses - it made a HUGE difference!!! I could tell that she looked forward to her sessions - she really enjoyed it!

Liz R.

I have had an equine massge therapist work on my minis, and I did notice better performance afterwards.
default_aktion033.gif

I have had an equine message therapist work on my riding horse, and used to have her come a few days before shows. I think it really helped. I haven't had her work on the minis, but now that you mention it, and we are doing more performance, I might have her back!

Hi,

Kristy Newman from Texas (she shows with Mystic Moon Ranch) is a certified equine massage therapist. I have watched her work on horses several times and she has helped those that were in really bad shape.

Leah Johnson of L & M Equine Services husband Mark is a certified equine chiropractor. I have used him on a couple of our horses which had problems in their necks and shoulders.

It's amazing what these folks can do. I do know that both Kristy and Mark went through extensive training for these professions. Mark spent a year in Florida working with an equine chiropractor and told me all about the schooling he received.

I would recommend either one.

Karen

I have found a school here in Durant Oklahoma. I do not know yet if you become certified through it or not. I have emailed them and hopefully they will let me know. I plan on ordering a couple of books on equine massage and anatomy and physiology. I am very interested in learning so much more about horses in general, but especially these little guys. I am going to have my 2 trained to drive in the future and possibly jump. I would love to be able to massage them correctly to help them perform better and feel better after a hard days work. I would also like to look into rehabbing horses. I do this to people for a living. I know some of the same basic principles would apply to horses as they do to humans, but yet there are differences. Anyone else know about schools and where they are located? Thanks Kristy

Kristy has done more for my "problem child" than chiropractors and everyone else we tried combined. This is a driving gelding with one of those vague, illusive injuries that doesn't really respond to anything.

You might contact her, I know she went through some pretty extensive training too.

Jan

Yes, they do wonders!! The owner of my boarding barn, Aimee Glover, went to a six week school in Virginia and got certified, so she works on a lot of the horses in my barn and in the surrounding area.

Check out Equine Myofascial Release (John Barnes method). This hands-on method releases the tight myofascial restrictions--- outstanding!

I use it on all my horses.

Peggy

I have found a school here in Durant Oklahoma. I do not know yet if you become certified through it or not. I have emailed them and hopefully they will let me know. I plan on ordering a couple of books on equine massage and anatomy and physiology. I am very interested in learning so much more about horses in general, but especially these little guys. I am going to have my 2 trained to drive in the future and possibly jump. I would love to be able to massage them correctly to help them perform better and feel better after a hard days work. I would also like to look into rehabbing horses. I do this to people for a living. I know some of the same basic principles would apply to horses as they do to humans, but yet there are differences. Anyone else know about schools and where they are located? Thanks Kristy
I don't want to discourage you but be sure to check out the laws in your state about doing things like this with horses becuse here in Texas the Texas Vet Board is actively going after Equine Massage therapists and when found they are giving a cease order or be fined just like they are doing for the Equine Dentists.

I don't want to discourage you but be sure to check out the laws in your state about doing things like this with horses becuse here in Texas the Texas Vet Board is actively going after Equine Massage therapists and when found they are giving a cease order or be fined just like they are doing for the Equine Dentists.
Thanks I will look that up for sure. I could not afford any fines. If not able to do it here in oklahoma I will still learn about it through my own study and utilize it on my own horses and friends. I massaged Duke the other night with strokes I know from being a PTA and he seemed to thorougly enjoy it. He let me on his right side without any problems and that was cool. Usually I have to push him out of the way to get over there. Doing that massage on him made me even want to learn more about it. Even if it does just end up being on mine and friends horses. Thanks everyone. Kristy

I just looked up this morning on equine massage on the Oklahoma state vet board. It says in their papers that a veterinarian can not prohibit the practice of an equine massage therapist. So as far as Oklahoma goes I would be okay. I will have to check on other states that are fairly close to Oklahoma. Texas is not that far from here, but it sounds like they can prohibit it. Thanks, Kristy

I found this sight when I looked up Texas. I have not read it all, but plan on it later. It thought that others might be interested in this sight.

http://www.iaamb.org/reference/state-laws-2006.html

Code:
Kristy

Latest posts

Back