Equine Jr to weanlings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeOkie

Reaction score
I have fat bellied babies and don't know whether I'm feeding too much or not enough. I'm hoping some Purina Eq Jr users will chime in and let me know how much they're feeding. It is very difficult to go by the directions on the bag to figure what our little minis need. I am feeding l small coffee can ( equals 20 oz.of grain) twice a day to each one, plus about 2 nice sized flakes of bermuda hay for the five to share each feeding.

I'm following the other two threads on related topics, but haven't seen any Eq Jr users respond. Help please!

Rita

Rita, I'm feeding Equine Jr to two weanlings, a yearling and a 2 yr old gelding in the same pasture. They are getting 3/4 small coffee can - almost the same you are feeding - twice a day, plus a flake of coastal and alfalfa between them, twice a day also. Mine are at a pretty good weight now, not show horse slim but they look pretty good. I switched them over from Safe Choice a couple of months ago, as they were not holding weight the way I wanted. One weanling is a little bitty guy, and he probably doesn't get his full share lol as he just can't eat as fast, but he's holding his own too and looks about where I want him to be.

Jan

Hi Rita

20 oz is really not enough I would gradually increase that. I feed by pounds not cups but I have 2 weanlings and they eat about 1 lb each per weanling per feeding. Now I feed it free choice and will until they are a yearling. One is a B divsion weanling and one is very small probably A division. They also have free choice grass/alfalfa mix hay. As you feed more the stomach will get smaller as their protein needs are met.

A good way to know is to feel their backs. If you can feel the backbone sticking up with a bloated belly then they are too thin not fat. Very common in weanlings

Kay

Thanks for your replies -- looks like I'm feeding a little more than Jan and little less than Diane, and Kay I'm not sure. You said I needed to feed more, but I'm feeding 1 1/4 lbs each feeding (the 20 oz. was each feeding) and you said you are feeding about a lb. So I guess I'm in the ballpark.

Rita

I was just at the Northeast Equine Affair and stopped by the Purina booth because I'm switching my herd to Strategy. The rep from Purina gave me a "Feeding Weights of Purine Feeds for Miniature Horses" using Nature's Essentials, Strategy, Equine Sr., Adult, Jr., & Omolene products. Their measuring is as follows: Kitchen Measuring Cup/Pounds:

3/4 cup = 1/4 lb, 1 1/2 cups = 1/2 lb, 3 cups = 1 lb. Now, depending on which brand of grain you are using, and what the lifestyle of your horse is, gender, weight, etc., there is a "Feeding Recommendation for Miniature Horses" chart. For instance, Weanlings on Equine Jr ~ 100lb body weight should get an "average" of 2.3 lbs of grain per day. That figures out to about a little more than 3 cups at each feeding. (When fed as a complete feed). In other words, these weanlings should be happy without hay!! My guys would NOT be happy without hay so I opted to go with the Strategy which they recommend to feed with hay. I had used Strategy in the past and switched to Platform but am now switching back to Strategy...

Am I totally confusing you? Send me an email and I will send you a copy of the "Purine Feeding Recommendations".

Val

So did they say it was ok to feed Strategy to weanlings? Right now all mine with the exception of the weanling are getting Strategy with added beet pulp. The weanling is getting Jr. They all get good grass hay. It would be nice if I could feed them all the same grain. Especially since the girls will run him off his feed ( The Jr is sweeter) if we do not seperate them.

I was just at the Northeast Equine Affair and stopped by the Purina booth because I'm switching my herd to Strategy. The rep from Purina gave me a "Feeding Weights of Purine Feeds for Miniature Horses" using Nature's Essentials, Strategy, Equine Sr., Adult, Jr., & Omolene products. Their measuring is as follows: Kitchen Measuring Cup/Pounds:3/4 cup = 1/4 lb, 1 1/2 cups = 1/2 lb, 3 cups = 1 lb. Now, depending on which brand of grain you are using, and what the lifestyle of your horse is, gender, weight, etc., there is a "Feeding Recommendation for Miniature Horses" chart. For instance, Weanlings on Equine Jr ~ 100lb body weight should get an "average" of 2.3 lbs of grain per day. That figures out to about a little more than 3 cups at each feeding. (When fed as a complete feed). In other words, these weanlings should be happy without hay!! My guys would NOT be happy without hay so I opted to go with the Strategy which they recommend to feed with hay. I had used Strategy in the past and switched to Platform but am now switching back to Strategy...

Am I totally confusing you? Send me an email and I will send you a copy of the "Purine Feeding Recommendations".

Val

Back