Equine Herpes virus outbreak

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
There has been a good bit of posting the last day or so on facebook about an equine herpes virus outbreak in the cutting horse world.....just fyi. It is the neurological strain, and several horses have died. They are taking appropriate measures, some shows are being cancelled. From what I read, problems started at a show in Ogden UT but horses haul from all over, so just use caution this summer and don't haul sick horses!

Jan

Wow, this is not good! I understand there are no vaccines for prevention of the neorological strain?

Wonder where it started - prior to the show?

Not good news! Thanks for the warning though.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a owner, breeder and exhibitor of Quarter Horses we have been getting a lot of updates and alerts in regards to this. The EVH1 which is the neurological form of this virus reared its ugly head at a large cutting in Ogden as well as at a Southern California Cutting near Bakersfield. I have also heard reports of it now in Colorado. There is NO vaccine for this for of the virus either. It virus is shed by the horse through mucus & saliva while a horse is running the fever. From what I hear, the virus can last for awhile on stall walls, buckets, your own clothes, etc...., anything that a infected horse contaminates. IF you are traveling it is always a good idea to disinfect stall walls and doors, as well as any buckets, cross ties, etc.... PLus you should take your horses temperature every day if not twice a day. The first symptom is a fever! Any suspected horse should be isolated away from all other horses and a vet called. This is very serious and potentially devastating for all horses, both large and small!!

Unfortunately I can confirm that we do have multiple cases here in Colorado and the outbreak here has been fatal in some locations. I agree with Sandy and urge everyone traveling with horses to always disinfect your stalls, trailers and tack upon arrival and after departure from any public facility. It is up to prudent horse owners to limit the exposure of sick or carrier animals and prevent the spread of this and any infectious disease!! These illnesses are rapid spread and quick acting so please be cautious when showing!

This is (unfortunately) a normal occurrence that happens every year, all over the country. Always assume that its out there! Keep your horses up to date on their Rhino vaccines (there are two that have been shown to be (mildly) effective in helping prevent it). Always act as though the horses at the shows are all infected!

All my horses were infected last winter. All seven. One mare died.

My yearling filly showed the neurological form this spring after a bad episode of enteritis/sand colic.

None of them have ever left their pasture.

I hope everyone's horses stay safe!

It is very important to note in this case that the EHV 1 is not common Rhino, and there are no effective vaccines against this form neurologic equine herpes so awareness, education and isolation are the only preventative measures. It is always good to vaccinate against rhino as well but these recent outbreaks over the past several months in numerous states are a different strain and must be taken seriously in order to limit the spread and possible mutation leading to resistance of this disease. Best to be safe disinfect and monitor your horses very closely!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree- This strain of EVH-1 (neurological)- there is NO proven vaccine. It is a different mutation of the other forms of Rhino- the type that cause coughs, fever, nasal discharge and abortion or still-births in late term mares. Think of it like our yearly flu vaccine. When we say we got a "flu shot", it protects us from many certain strains of flu (anticipated for the year) but may not protect us from others- remember the "swine flu"? The year that it reared its ugly head there was no vaccine. In spite of millions having "flu shots", lots still got the swine flu. Unfortunately- veterinarians/scientists have yet to come up with a vaccine for this mutation of Rhino (the neurological form of EVH-1).

I will say that a healthy horse, especially older virus resistant (ie; already exposed) horses, have a much better chance then the typical younger horses who tend to be prone to contracting Rhino (all forms). However, even older horses can "carry" the disease back to the younger ones.

As I hear more information, I will pass it along.

The anti-abortion EHV-1 vaccines do help prevent the neuro version. They aren't full protection but they do help.

Seriously listen to what epetrilli has to say. She is a boi chemist for the gov in biodefence. She works at csu in infectious diseases. She won't give her credentials but I will. This is serious stuff.

What is the best way to disinfect stalls when you go to a show?

Re: stall cleaning/trailer etc: "Virkon S" (can get from Valley Vet http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=063c7eba-a7ff-4ceb-bf52-7463c15bf346&gas=virkon) works very well. Mix into a little hand pump lawn sprayer and spray on the stall. Wait 5-10 min, put your horse in.

Re: Rhino/EHV. There are four types of herpes. One causes respiratory issues. One causes abortions. A second strain of the abortion version is the neuro version. And finally there is the sexually transmitted version (yes, mares and stallions can get herpes). Because of the simularity of EHV-1 and EHV-1b the vaccine (while DEFINATELY not perfect, or even great) does offer SOME protection.

So far two barns in Weld County, CO have been put under lockdown, and I have heard CSU has as well. I live in Weld County and am close to the college. We've decided not to take in the new boarders we had scheduled, and we are quarantining the 2 that came in yesterday as best as we can.

Our immediate neighbors don't have horses and ours haven't left the property recently so we should be okay. And the two that just came weren't kept with other horses.

But it's all still a little too close for comfort.
default_ohnoes.jpg

I am now hearing that Arizona has confirmed cases and deaths from it. Al Dunning (the popular reiner, cowhorse, cutter, clinician) has confirmed several of his horses have it but no deaths yet. He is in AZ also. I have heard that Texas has several cases too and my vet confirmed that there are two horses at UC Davis with it. Murieta Equestrian Center (in Rancho Murieta, Ca) has cancelled all their events at this huge show facility for the next 21 days at least, not to mention many other breed associations have cancelled theirs. I say.... its better to be safe than sorry!!

Latest posts

Back