Equine Floaters in the Wall Street Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWC sr.

Reaction score
Article below was in the Wall Street Journal, it seems Helmcamp is still not giving up This guy needs to be replaced, big time.

Equine Dentists Shine in Court

By STEPHANIE SIMON

Eli Meir Kaplan for The Wall Street Journal

Equine dental practitioner Carl Mitz displays Little America's Crew Crush Boogie's teeth after he leveled them. .Filing down horse teeth is a slobbery job. But Carl Mitz is grateful that he now has the undisputed legal right to do it.

This week, Mr. Mitz and three others won a three-year legal battle against the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners, which had sought to restrict the ancient craft of horse-teeth floating—an obscure job that involves filing a horse's teeth to improve its bite—to licensed veterinarians.

Travis County District Court Judge Orlinda Naranjo ruled that the state board was out of bounds in early 2007 when it began ordering more than two dozen nonlicensed equine dentists to quit working. The board failed to conduct studies or seek public input before abruptly deciding that only veterinarians could float teeth. Judge Naranjo decided the disregard for due process by the board invalidated the new policy.

From the Archives

Texas Horse Dentists Feel the Bite Of State Regulatory Oversight

12/29/2010

Eli Meir Kaplan for The Wall Street Journal

Horses roamed some 200 acres at Little America Miniature Horses in Buda, Texas.

.More photos and interactive graphics

."Now I can continue doing the job I've done for 25 years," said Mr. Mitz, who was the subject of a page-one article in The Wall Street Journal article last December.

Texas, however, likely will continue to press the issue, meaning the victory could be fleeting. Dewey E. Helmcamp III, executive director of the veterinary medical examiners board, said he feared the ruling puts horses in danger and expected both the veterinary board and the state legislature to take up the issue soon.

"It is safe to say that we will move by rule adoption to restrict in some fashion the unfettered practice of teeth floating by lay persons unless a veterinarian is involved with some form of supervision," Mr. Helmcamp said.

Horse-teeth floating is a lucrative job. Some practitioners say they can make $300,000 a year, and those who do it say it's straightforward and requires no special training. But some veterinarians fear that unskilled floaters will damage the horse's gums or strip away protective enamel.

The case in Texas hinged on a narrow, technical question: Did the state board follow proper procedure in formulating its floating policy?

But the nonprofit, libertarian law firm that filed the case, the Institute for Justice, said a broader principle was at stake. At what point do state licensing rules impose "an unreasonable restriction on people's ability to earn a living?" said Clark Neily, a senior attorney with the firm, which is based in Arlington, Va.

Equine dental practitioner Carl Mitz leveled a horse's teeth last December in Buda, Texas.

.Mr. Neily hopes to litigate that point in another case in Texas district court that he brought on behalf of eyebrow threaders, who use thin strands of cotton to remove unwanted facial hair. Eyebrow threaders believe that they should be allowed to do their job without a state license requiring at least 750 hours of study at an accredited beauty college. A hearing in the case is set for next month in Austin.

The state, which regulates more than two dozen occupations from boxers to auctioneers—there is even a special permit for hair-salon shampooers—says its licensing requirements are designed to protect public health and human and animal welfare.

Write to Stephanie Simon at [email protected] to comment on this article.

The second article is dated 12/29/2010? It cant be...

What a waste of money that guy is causing and making them pretty much look like fools. (JMO) And I do agree that he needs to be replaced. Cripes, the guy has not won, so give it up and move on and do something positive for the horse world. I wonder how much money has been wasted on legal fees.. probably enough to donate a few gelding clinics, donate to needed research for various things, shucks even donate to the horse rescues that are over crowded and cant take any more..... Or enough to build a new vet clinic or two....

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I had hopes that this lawsuit, which was such a waste of time and talent for Carl, was over so he could spend the time with horses again. We sure NEED you up around Wisconsin, Carl!

I guess Helmcamp is not going to give up, even though the will of the horse owners of Texas were best served by this judge. It appears the battle was won, but the war is not over.
default_new_shocked.gif

A real waste of tax payers time and money, but it is what it is and the horse owners of Texas will continue to be vigilent and fight them with the help of the Institute of Justice. Thanks IJ, without you this battle may have already bankrupted Carl and put us all in a state of limbo to say the least!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto that again John- a HUGE thanks to the Institute. I hope they will continue to assist Carl in fighting this ridiculous battle.

I can tell you that equine dentists have done a h e double hockey sticks of a better job working on my horses teeth than the vet clinic, that is affiliated with the U, has ever done. Its just sad how much I was paying them to not do a thorough job.
default_no.gif

Though in my opinion its the same as a coggins, just another way for the vets to make money. Its pretty dang easy to see why they are fighting.

Latest posts

Back