Equi-Spot??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Equi-Spot fly control? Any adverse reactions? How well does it work?

I picked up a box when I bought feed at the Co-op but though maybe I should ask for opinions before using it. Also thought I should apply it in the morning just in case any reactions occur, I can keep an eye on them durning the day......

Have used similar products on my dogs for years. I have had good results and no issues with those products.

Several years back used it on my Paint mare with no reactions but was not impressed with it. It worked ok at first but not for very long. Maybe it has been inmproved.

I am curious about this too, as I was going to order some for my horses until I read a couple reviews on Jeffers that said it burned their horses! EEK!
default_shutup.gif
I'd rather deal with ticks than chemical-burned hide...

It's been years since we tried it, but my big horse -- who is TOUGH as nails -- got puffy eyes and a mild allergic reaction to it. We have not tried it since, though I don't doubt it is probably a good thing for many horses.

I've used it on a full size horse and wouldn't use it again. Didn't really work either. Maybe the formula has changed or improved. I'd rather use a good quality fly spray and either use fly masks or use a mitt to wipe fly spray on sensitive ears, faces. Endure roll on is a good product for temporary fly control around ears and faces. I use it trail riding all the time now and that seems to work. Let us know how the product works for you.

Well I tried it early this morning before it got really hot. Was easy to use but after I put it on both of my yearlings they started to stamp their feet and were trying to scratch their backs and ears where I put the Equi-Spot. This did not last too long but it definatly did irritate their skin. I was a little nervous thinking I would have to get the hose out which they are not used to yet but they seemed to get over it. Needless to say I won't be using this again.

I don't get it.......if both of my horses had a reaction then I would think that the adverse reaction to this product is pretty high!! I have seen it for sale at the 2 places here that sell horse products so someone must use it.

My advice.... Do Not use this!!!! I was lucky they both seemed to be OK but I felt so bad that I put something on them that hurt them.

Could you use advantage for cats and kittens on horses? Just curious!

Did you use the full dose recommended for full size horses? That little container treats a 1200 lb horse, the smaller your mini, the less you'd use. It's really hard to measure, too.

I have a friend that has used Bio Spot for horses since it first came out - on her two arabs and my two ponies that she leased for 2 years - and won't go with out it. She takes the dogs to the vet to be treated (and bathed etc), but does her horses herself.

Most of mine, I had no problems with when I used it but with more than 30 head right now, it's more than I want to do.

Had a boarded 1/2 welsh/arab that had a severe reaction to regular fly spray (we use the permethrin concentrate and mix it with water) whom the vet recommended we not try it on - took forever to find a fly spray that worked for him and I can't remember now what was used on that one... When the owner moved him to her own property, she continued using the one we found that worked for him.

Currently we mix our own fly spray (as above), use fly masks on the ones who need them, use fly traps around the barn and mow/spread the paddocks/pastures. I also use a homemade "Swat" - the fly spray we use mixed with Vaseline to use inside of ears around face/muzzle and on bellies and chests on the ones that need it (one of our arabs and on anyone riding/driving out in the woods).

Really - how fly sprays/products work seems to vary with the horses, the location (state, city, county) and the weather. We've used fly spray that a friend 5 miles one direction swears by and it won't work for 2 minutes on any of our horses and the same with another friend who lives 6.5 miles the other direction. In the same token - neither will use the fly spray that I mix up - says it creates reactions or doesn't work at all. Some work with some horses and some will not.

My farrier makes a natural, home made brew that is water based. Other than it needs to be re-applied constantly, it's great!! I purchase a bottle every so often from her and that is what we use when she comes to do hooves every two weeks.

Latest posts

Back