Emergencys at Shows.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connie Ballard

Reaction score
After J&HMinis mare coliced this weekend at Eastern Championship Show...and with nationals just around the corner...thinking about being at a show where not many people know me and my horses, made me think about how someone would contact me and what they could or would do if one of my horses needed help and I wasent around at a show grounds.

If you have ideas/tips...post them here...figure we all could use a reminder of good planning we all can do to be prepared for an emergency with our horses.

Add your cell phone number to your business card that you leave on your show table. IF you dont have a table out...tape a card to each stall front. (J&H Minis had their cell phone number on her card...so thats how we got in touch with her this past weekend) IF you dont have business cards...tape a paper to your stall with an emergency contact number...like your hotel phone number on it.

We put a paper with our cells and where we are staying with the # and the room # for emergencies. We also bring along our own vets (Cheryl) and Doc Taylor. lol They come in VERY handy. Last year Carbon got a big splinter I mean a HUGE mother of a splinter that required numbing to remove and clean the hole. Thank God she was there!

Lyn

We used to donate stall hang cards for Nationals where you could write your name, contact numbers, motel, etc. Maybe we should start doing it again
smile.gif

I usually have a sheet that I hang up on the stall door with my contact info. But I had forgotten it, that's why I left the business cards out for the night, just in case. I always make sure my cell phone number is available. I carry it everywhere!

I made up a bunch of stall cards for all the "regulars" last year. I put about ten of them inside each clear, heavy plastic envelope, and hung them on the horses stalls. When they start to run out, all they have to do is photo-copy for more.

Each card has spaces for the horse's name, what feed it requires, owner's name, whereabouts, and phone numbers that they can be reached at.

If it was my stall door?

-My name, numbers and a backup who can make descions on my behalf if I can't be reached.

- My local vet/vet hospital of preference (if applicable), and a "if true emergency, call vet first, me next" statement.

- Any medical conditions or current medications

You may want to note how you want true emergencies handled in the unlikely event you or your back-ups can't be contacted. It's a tight place to be caring for a horse with a life-threatening injury/illness that needs vet care NOW, and not being able to contact the owner. For me it's always been "vet now, ask me later", but I've also seen one stall door where it stated do NOT call the vet and do NOT intervene. Just more food for thought.

One of the employees sleeps in a stall we set up especially for him. We never leave the horses alone at all. Someone must be at the stalls at all times.

I just wanted to add to this even though it may be a bit off topic (sorry) but I have seen so many people who padlock their stalls. I realize you don't want a horse stolen, but what if there is a fire or in the case posted earlier, they were able to get some meds into horse while the owners were in route. If it were a case where a horse somehow got a serious wound, the faster the bleeding is stopped and the sooner the wound is protected from further exposure to the dirt the better. If the stall are locked no one but the owner can open it and the time it takes to get to the barn may just be too long. I have a friend who worried so much about that that she used to actually carry bolt cutters. We used to tease her, but it wouldn't be a laughing matter if a horse was in trouble. Just another perspective I thought I'd throw in here.

This sort of thing is mandatory at all stalled shows(a lot of our shows you show out of your Horsebox) This sort of information is a necessity BUT I would add a warning- it might be an idea to get a cell that is dedicated for this use only- at shows at work whatever- there are a lot of really strange people about and some of them go to horse shows
smile.gif
If they are never sure of who will answer the phone they will give up. If you do padlock, use one that can be taken off with a hammer- no-one is going to stand by and watch that happen without challenging the person, surely?? And, in a genuine emergency it can allow access to the stall. I HATE leaving my babies- the few times I have I have slept in the van outside all night!!

I am going to the Oregon State Fair at the end of this month. I am 17 and will be traveling/staying with my friend who is an adult. I am making signs for the front of my horses stall (1 showing pic of him and giving some info on him, 1 showing my stallion back home whose standing at stud, and 1 to advertise a friends horse for sale). I thought about putting my cell number on the signs, but another friend thought that wasn't a good idea. Her thinking is that anyone can call and say my horse is in trouble, me go, and then get kidnapped or something. OF COURSE I WOULD NEVER GO TO THE STALL ALONE...I'd take my adult friend with me. What do you all think?

Thanks, Erin

js1arab said:
I just wanted to add to this even though it may be a bit off topic (sorry) but I have seen so many people who padlock their stalls. I realize you don't want a horse stolen, but what if there is a fire or in the case posted earlier, they were able to get some meds into horse while the owners were in route.

If I ever saw this at a show I would call the fire department immediately!!! I can't believe someone would be so stupid!!!!! If your horse if that valuable, keep it at home or post an armed guard at the stall door, but don't padlock a living creature somewhere that rescue or emergency assistance could not be given. What if a horse simply cast itself against the wall or if it's blankets became horribly twisted about it's legs or neck.

Vertical Limits has the best answer, have someone always stay at the stalls, day and night if that is possible. If not, then a way to contact you should certainly be the minimum.

You know that magnets that go on the front of the dishwasher that say "clean/dirty", I wonder if a sign that on one side said "I'm here on the showgrounds at this time" and on the other said, "I'm off grounds right now and can be reached as follows" with the info provided.

When we were showing a lot....I used to find someone who was staying on the grounds..camping etc. I would give them a letter stating they had my permission to take what ever measures were needed to insure the safty...welfare and health of my horse in my absence. I would leave their contact number....my cell number and the hotel I was at. That way there was someone there at all times...who had permission to take care of my horses. I even gave one to a few people I knew just in case....Maybe over kill....but it did save a colic one time.

My horses have a laminated stall sign with there picture, there name our farm name our home number (even if out of state they can call and get someone who can get ahold of us) and my cell phone number.

On the subject of padlocks- what about a barn fire?!
new_shocked.gif
no.gif
Do you know how horrible it would be to have enough people mobilized to save the horses and not be able to get them out of their stalls?? Oh my gosh, I can't even imagine.

I have no constructive suggestions for how to prevent theft otherwise except that I use the buddy system extensively. If I leave the barn I ask the folks on either side of me to keep an eye on my single horse, and in return I check on their horses late at night as I camp on the the grounds these days and I'm a night owl anyway. So far my night patrol (in one aisle at one show!) has caught a colic, two twisted blankets and a sweat that had fallen down around the stallion's eyes and was panicking him. People have no idea what goes on in a barn at night.
wacko.gif

It was policy at the fair I used to show at that you had to have an emergency contact sign prominently posted on your stall. Hotel name, phone number and room number if you stay off the grounds, cell number and parking space number/description of your vehicle if you are camping so someone can come pound on your door. They saved the life of many a horse who was cast or colicking.

I also agree that it's a good idea to put any allergies and a statement of whether or not you authorize emergency vet care if you cannot be reached. Having your farm number so they can reach family if they can't reach you is also a great idea. Erin, I'd go ahead and put your cell number on there. Just don't list it as a cell phone or even specify that it's yours; just say "In case of emergency contact owner at #####."

-My name, numbers and a backup who can make descions on my behalf if I can't be reached.- My local vet/vet hospital of preference (if applicable), and a "if true emergency, call vet first, me next" statement.

- Any medical conditions or current medications
That's a great list. All this information can be easily fitted onto a 3x5 index card which can be stapled to the stall or tucked into a plastic sleeve behind the horse's picture and info. (Let your neighbors know it's there.)

Good thread!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back