EMERGENCY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Okay this morning i put coco out in the pasture where it was just him, calves and grass/dirt. Well my sister (thinking he is going to kill the calves even though he is half there size) put coco in w/ the cows where there wasa HUGE trashcan full of corn OPEN. well it was full this morning when i left and when i got back a while ago coco was standing there eating it. He is about 2 times bigger then he was when i left and cannot even run. Half the barral is gone practically and he is now inhis pin laying down. Im worried bc i know what corn does to him. He had way to much and is almost fatter then out average sized horses it seems.

Will he be okay and get back to normal. I was going to hook him up to the cart but he just can barraly even walk. I am VERY ticked off right now and upset. Please let me know if he will be okay.

it was cracked corn

I know sweet feed can cause founder, and I'm scared that much corn could do that or colic. I would call the vet NOW. He may want you to hose him until he gets there, or maybe give some banamine. I would definitely call the vet -- this could be a very real and serious emergency.

CALL YOUR VET IMMEDIATELY!! THIS IS VERY SERIOUS!! GET A VET OUT ASAP!!

Call your vet IMMEDIATELY for treatment! This is VERY serious as an overdose of corn can lead to toxin poisioning in the horse as it forments in the hind gut.

See this article that talks breifly about corn:

http://www.equisearch.com/care/nutrition/nutrition011903/

I will be praying for your horse. Please keep us posted after you have seen the vet!

I’m not sure if when you say he can hardly walk now if you mean because he is so stuffed with corn, or if you’re meaning he’s actually sore already….I’m assuming at this point he’s just plain STUFFED.

You must call the vet immediately—in addition to the risk of founder, there is the very real possibility that he is going to have major problems with his digestive system. A corn overload like that can cause major colic, even gastric dilatation (though oats is more dangerous in that respect, any overload of feed can cause it.)

This is not a situation where you should “wait & seeâ€

Call the vet, call the vet, call the vet...

I would not mess around a minute w/this situation!

Best of luck, I will keep you and him in my thoughts.

Liz M.

Just echoing what is stated above...please, PLEASE call your vet!

COCO you really do have to call a vet right now, I see you are logged on. This is not an option for you it is a must.

Some things to ask about are;

pumping what they can out

oiling to slow absorption

charcoal to absorb toxins

This really is very critical

Lovecoco, if you love coco then call your vet!!!!
new_shocked.gif

right now!!

what would you do if you lost him!!
no.gif

oh you will be in my prayers!

please call your vet!

even if your short in $.. this is important!!

keep us updated
unsure.gif

I just called our vet but the office lady said that there was no one that could come out today. So we quickly called our vet smith's home and one of his kids answered and said that he might not be back in tonight because he was at a show in portsmith and wont be home probaly untill later on tommarow night. So we quickly called the vet's office back and the lady told us that we needed to bring the horse in because he isnt doing very well and we told her the situation. Well they close at 7 she said and we live about 45 minutes away. She told us to give him water and try to get him up and keep him walking. She said just to not let him lay down and she will call Vet Smiths cell and leave a messager for him to call us. Right now im just wating for him to call us. Im so worried and about to cry. I do plan on yelling at my sister later on but right now i need to go watch coco. Probaly sleeping in the barn tonight!

I just called our vet but the office lady said that there was no one that could come out today. So we quickly called our vet smith's home and one of his kids answered and said that he might not be back in tonight because he was at a show in portsmith and wont be home probaly untill later on tommarow night. So we quickly called the vet's office back and the lady told us that we needed to bring the horse in because he isnt doing very well and we told her the situation. Well they close at 7 she said and we live about 45 minutes away. She told us to give him water and try to get him up and keep him walking. She said just to not let him lay down and she will call Vet Smiths cell and leave a messager for him to call us. Right now im just wating for him to call us. Im so worried and about to cry. I do plan on yelling at my sister later on but right now i need to go watch coco. Probaly sleeping in the barn tonight!

ooops sorry about the 3 post thing ....i really have to go now. Im so nervious that i clicked the button a billion times. Okay really must go

Do you have another vet in the area???? Ask the office lady if there is a standby vet that you can call who fills in for Vet Smith or pick up the phone book and see if you can find another one on your own. This is an emergency and you need to do all you can to get treatment.

And while I know how worried you are, don't cry at this time. It won't help you or Coco. You can cry after the emergency is over, but right now you need to keep a level head and do all you can for your Coco. And hey, go easy on your sister. She will feel bad enough that she caused this and probably won't forget it. Try to explain it nicely and let it be. I know how it hurts you, but she was just trying to care for animals that she thought would be hurt. Her heart was in the right place.

(((Hugs))) now go take care of Coco the best you can.

Hirt, Laura DVM - 1800 W McPherson Hwy. - (419) 547-9403

Mull, Michael E DVM - 1184 W Main St. - (419) 483-7480

Please do as the others have said & try to find another vet--there HAVE to be more in the area. I believe Coco needs more than some water and walking if he's going to pull through this.

Thank you Hosscrazy but my father wont allow me to. He told me to just calm down and do what the lady told me to do. I do think that im going to call them and see if there is much else i can do to help him out untill in the morning. My father is stubborn and right now is not the best time to be that way.

Coco is standing right now and walking around by himself, he seems to be doing better. But i know from expirense just because he seems to be doing better on the outside doesnt mean he is on the inside. He's drinking water ....but im scared.

Im going to try to get vet smiths cell phone number from his kid first. I have so much trust in that vet that i just really need to hear what he has to say and for him to tell me its going to be okay. Im checking him every 20 minutes untill later on tonight and if im still scared i might sleep out there by his stall.

Latest posts

Back