EMERGENCY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please get pushy about seeing a vet TONIGHT. We are talking about both Founder AND colic here with your little guy.

Do you have mineral oil? A big syringe or a gravy baster? I'd be pushing mineral oil into him with one hand and have the phone and pushing on ANY vet in the other at this point.

Mineral oil will coat his system and not allow at least some of the corn to be absorbed, which will be helpful if caught in time.

Good luck,

MA

I well be praying, I hope he turns out ok,

Please keep us updated,

-Jennie

Vet D. told us that he can be here in about 20 minutes and to just be calm. He asked us about the oil and he said he could get some. So i think were almost out of the Blue.

Wow ....first big life endagerment of him and i didnt think it would be this scary!

Sorry - but don't think you are out of the woods yet. This can cause a blockage which may go on for days. If it were me, I would not give him any food for 24 - 48 hours, until I was sure all the corn was out of his system. Mini's have a extreme tolerance for pain, and will eat as soon as the belly ache temporarily goes away.

Just lots and lots of water, and I also give warm water enemas. WALK WALK WALK.

If the vet gives some pain medication, and the pain comes back as soon as the medication wears off, you have a serious problem. I had one get a blockage, and was able to treat it with IV's and no food. I couldn't afford the surgery, and she luckiily came through fine.

Again, make sure your little guy is clean as a whistle, inside and out, before giving any food at all. Including Hay, grain, grass.

Good luck!!

sad.gif
wow, poor coco
sad.gif
i hope he comes outta this..

OKAY UPDATE ON THE SITUATION:

The vet just now left. He said that he dealt with the situation hundreads of times. I had never met him before but he seemed good, i liked him. He gave him 2 shots. One for pain and One to get everything moving. He said its like the mineral oil exept more powerful and in a shot. He Pushed around on his stomach and checked him out. He said it wasnt the worse he had seen but he wanted me to keep an eye on him the next couple days. I feel much better even though im beating myself up about letting this happen and coco is going to pull though. He told me no feed for about 24 hours (like Ruffian said) and that if i felt he needed to go longer then to go longer. We have some pills which he said would work well for pain since the shot would ware off by tommarow. He's going to come back Friday to check on him since we live on the road he takes home, it would be a free visit. Im much more calmer knowing that coco got the professional care he needed.

Thank you guys ...you helped me pull through. Im sure coco is thankful to!

If you haven't called your Vet, you should. Any overdose of food like that can spell trouble and he does need attention SAP.

Joyce

yes.gif

That's Great,
aktion033.gif

I'm glad it worked out so far, but keep a close eye on him sometimes they can flip on ya,
unsure.gif

the best of wishes,

-Jennie

Yes a tricky situation..I hope your sister doesn't feel too bad, probably didn't realize what a real danger it was..

even if he does well with the colic, then watch him for founder..

YOU CAN DO THIS, get through this and taking care of him through this will bond the two of you even closer. good luck,

Maxine

If you get back on and check this, run some cold water and make some mud. Make coco stand in the cold mud, that will help keep the heat down in his feet and stop some of the founder damage. FIND a vet...is there one in another community?

I am relieved the vet came for you. I would be scared out of my mind with worry and fear and I can tell you were too
new_shocked.gif

Just keep an eye on him constantly and if you see him acting strangely at all call that vet back !

One other point - what are you bedding on? If he feels better, and is hungry, he may start eating bedding, especially if you bed on straw. Just keep an eye out.

Hoping for the best for you!

I've been watching this post and I feel so sorry that you have had such a ruff time of it today. Your love and worry and concern for doing right by Coco is very touching. When things calm down, please consider having a heart to heart talk with dad about being able to call the vet when you have an emergency in the future without him being "stubborn" as you call it. It's very hard I know for a kid when put in this position.

You have gotten all great advice here from everyone. I too want you to dig a mud hole and stand your horse in it as well to keep the heat out of his feet. OK?

I admire you very much for being such a good horse owner. You were really on the ball.

I wish you the best of luck for a very speedy recovery.

OH, and try not to hurt your sister too much!

When my friend's two year old quarterhorse recently gorged on feed, the Vet tried a strategy that I hear is reasonably new. He tranquelized the mare just enough to keep her calm, and unmoving, then tied her in her stall.

Apparently, the tranquelizer helps keep the blood vessels in the feet from becoming inflamed; actually slowing down the blood circulation, therefore helping to stave off founder. She had to keep her "tranked" for two or three days. I have read about this in an equine magazine since... It worked for her; and this mare had eaten a LOT of feed, and was a rescue horse, which isn't used to feed at all.

I am so glad to hear that the vet came out!!
aktion033.gif
Good girl for staying on top of this one - we're very proud of you!
yes.gif

Sue C,

Now thats one to keep in the memory in case something happens here, thanks for sharing!

Im so glad the vet came out what a relief. I was reading with baited breath and then got the post I was hoping for
aktion033.gif

Keep a close eye on him, which Im sure you are doing

What a scare!! I just got through reading this and can tell how upset you have been.

Thenk goodness you were able to get the Vet there to treat Cocoa!

You have gotten a lot of good advice from a lot of caring people on the Forum.

You certainly did the right thing by coming here for help.

Hugs to you and your precious Cocoa, you sound like a very good and conscientious mini owner!!

GOOD JOB! You got help. Let's just hope you don't have the delayed reaction of founder.

You didn't ask for advice on the founder, I know.....BUT......
biggrin.gif
Some folks have already made some good suggestions. Such as, hosing his legs (I'd do it daily for several days.), let him stand in muddy ground if possible, and once his 24 hour food fast is up --- NO GRAIN, just grass hay until further notice.

We caught one of our big pony geldings just at the beginnings of "green grass" founder earlier this summer. It took him a good month of a careful diet of only grass hay before he was feeling better (and some banamine initially.) My heart was just bursting with JOY today when I saw him running, bucking, and prancing around his corral.......He raced around, did his antitics and came full gallop right up to me and put on a four foot-ed break -- just to present his face for a scratching. Wish I could put into words how wonderful it was to see our fellow back to his silly self!

MA

Latest posts

Back