Emergency vet call today!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
We had our farrier come out yesterday. He was here until midnight (he is a friend of ours)!!!! Our second horse we did was fine. So she was checked often. We went to bed around 1am. And checked everyone. GOt up this morning it looked like her leg was broken. She was down on the ground and my husband had to pick her up. The vet came and it was a popped out stiffle. It has never happen to her before. Of coarse the vet and the farrier disagree on what needed to be done at this point!!! Anyway he came out and rasp it some more. He didint want to take any more off since he was close to her soft spot.

Ugh!!!! Now what will she always have stiffle problems?? Do you think it occured when he trimmed her? Maybe popped it out and we didnt notice? What gives?? Anyon else have this problem????

Thanks

I've only ever had problem with locking stifles... never had them on the floor though... just legs seized up and unable to bend it....

Are you meaning that the stifle joint was dislocated, as in displaced to the outside, or are you meaning that it was simply locked?

If the stifle joint was actually dislocated then I would personally think it unlikely that the farrier did this--It hink that you would have noticed something was wrong right away. The horse would have been lame & the leg would have looked sort of deformed. I would guess that she somehow injured herself in the night--perhaps got her leg caught in something & struggled & dislocated the stifle? If the stifle was dislocated then I don't think you need to worry about shortening the toe any more--according to my vet book (Equine Research--it's a very good one) it takes a long time to heal after dislocation of the stifle, just because the ligament and muscles are so badly stretched or even torn, but if it is put back into place right away and if the horse is properly rested then a complete recovery is quite likely.

While exercise is good for a horse with locking stifle, if this was actually a dislocated stifle then from what my vet book says you want the horse to rest, not to exercise!

Check to see if your horse's HIP is out........not just the stifle.

Thanks. The vet gave her a a pain killer in her vein. She left me with banimine. When would the needle wear off and when should I give her the her banimin and how often?

I thought I was getiing sick. I felt so bad. She is my baby girl!!!

PLEASE don't be shy about asking your VET some of this stuff.........even if it means calling him at his office later.

You need to find out WHAT your vet gave your girl too.......(I am assuming it was liquid banamine, but it's good to find out because there other stronger pain killers.) And WHEN to give her more of the paste is a biggie. Depending on the level of pain she is experiencing, the shot could last anywhere from 6 to 12 hours. Your horse should tell you when it's wearing off. I've even had it only last as little as 4 hours for a horse that was a huge amount of pain.......It just depends......

The paste will last about the same amount of time as liquid banamine, although takes longer to get into her system. Did he advise what size of dose to give? If he was judging that she was in a large amount of pain, you will want to give her a full dose according to her weight.

Whatever is wrong.....the hip or the stifle joint.....or??? The Banamine is only a temporary "fix". I hope you vet can give you some answers.

Hi

Yes MiniV is correct. You need to be asking your vet these questions, he prescribed the medicines and diagnosed and evaluated your horse, he can give you a better time line.

FYI - Not saying this was your farrier...........but I have seen farriers really jerk and twist this little horses legs around (because most are not used to bending over as far as they have to bend to trim them) or they pull their legs too far out to the side while trimming. So yes, that could have caused your problem and just like us when we pull a muscle or sprain an ankle, it hurts a whole lot worse some hours later than it did when we first did it.

Good luck and please let us know about your mare? I hope it is nothing serious - I too would not recommend any more trimming for the time being.

Beth

I called my vet she rec the banimine once a day. It seems like she will heal if we give her time an relaxation. Talk about your heart being in your throat so earily in the morning!!!

Back