Elk - for the first time

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxhaven

Reaction score
Legend, Luke, and Samwise the donkey are settling in to their new home...

IMG_20130429_060846_313-L.jpg

IMG_20130429_060901_785-L.jpg

IMG_20130429_060911_540-L.jpg

IMG_20130429_060744_470-L.jpg

They all saw their first elk today. Sam knew they were there, in the woods, LONG before I could see anything. Sam was noiseless; Legend kept calling to them - he wanted to play!

If you look carefully, you will notice a fancy lady with a new necklace. And someone else is missing a tire swing and probably scratching their head wondering what happened to it.

IMG_20130429_085333_587-L.jpg

In case you need to zoom in, here is a link to the original photo.

http://redchili.smugmug.com/Animals/Equines/i-mm7vcpP/0/O/IMG_20130429_085333_587.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! I certainly hope that elk gets rid of that necklace. LOVE your barn, fence, minis and donkey!!

Actually, I think she rather likes it. Around the holidays, it is not uncommon to see bulls decorated in yuletide cheer around here. They could get rid of it if they'd a mind to. There's an 8x8 who claims most of central Evergreen, named Eight-Ball, who regularly decorates himself with all manner of holiday cheer.

Thanks for the kind words!

That was exactly it! He kept calling and calling, and actually he is the reason they came trotting down out of the woods. After they had moved on, he kept watching the woods for what was coming next, nickering now and again. He has a beautiful voice. His whinny, coyote (aka 'songdog'), wolfsong, and elk bugle deeply move me....

I think they like it here...

Thanks for the kind words. Gratifying, after the struggle building that barn since January (I sure can pick the time of year). Dry while I am at work, snow and mud on the weekends, cold frozen ground, late delivery of materials, cost overrun and arguing with the vendor over missing material, trying to keep it from disturbing my calm and mostly succeeding...
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
default_hypocrite.gif
LOL

The plan was for the middle stall to be a nice, convenient tack and feed room. Oh well... Samwise is worth it. I cannot believe how gentle he is. I introduced them to the same paddock yesterday - under close observation - and little Luke (the yearling) was a little PILL, obnoxious as all get out. He nips Sam's hocks, bites at his front legs, nips his groin, tries to see if maybe nursing hardware is present, tries to climb on Sam's back (all I could see were little hooves and a little muzzle over the top)... and all Sam does is a measured, gentle, pushing kick and lippy nibble. Like he's been there, done that. Legend was muzzle to muzzle, they sniffed each other, Legend let out a few little squeals (he's a talker)... Then they settled down and all grazed together. Sam is the strongest, quietest, gentlest beastie in the house.

What a marvelous old soul.

I kept thinking of Lay Me Down in Chosen By A Horse. Same kind of spirit. So sad to think of what he has endured, but all that is behind him now.

So now I guess I get to build a tack & feed shed... LOL. Materials are laying outside the fence, and true to form, a snowstorm is moving in this afternoon so leveling a spot is out of the question for a few days or more. Why of course!

You have the same luck as I do...LOL. Sounds like your equines are quite happy.

What a lovely barn! I'm sure you will get your feed/tack shed built this summer, no problems. Your little guys don't look upset at all about the elk - mine would probably freak (well, heck, deer here in NC are not any bigger that the ponies!)...

I see your pics and so, so miss Colorado and Montana!!! Mom has an albino deer that visits her regularly to eat with the horses. Now, they come to eat the hay she feeds them - no more horses. I wanna come visit!

Oh wow. CO is an awesome place. Great pictures and lol about the "necklace."

Thanks for the kind words. Gratifying, after the struggle building that barn since January (I sure can pick the time of year). Dry while I am at work, snow and mud on the weekends, cold frozen ground, late delivery of materials, cost overrun and arguing with the vendor over missing material, trying to keep it from disturbing my calm and mostly succeeding...
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
default_hypocrite.gif
LOL

The plan was for the middle stall to be a nice, convenient tack and feed room. Oh well... Samwise is worth it. I cannot believe how gentle he is. I introduced them to the same paddock yesterday - under close observation - and little Luke (the yearling) was a little PILL, obnoxious as all get out. He nips Sam's hocks, bites at his front legs, nips his groin, tries to see if maybe nursing hardware is present, tries to climb on Sam's back (all I could see were little hooves and a little muzzle over the top)... and all Sam does is a measured, gentle, pushing kick and lippy nibble. Like he's been there, done that. Legend was muzzle to muzzle, they sniffed each other, Legend let out a few little squeals (he's a talker)... Then they settled down and all grazed together. Sam is the strongest, quietest, gentlest beastie in the house.

What a marvelous old soul.

I kept thinking of Lay Me Down in Chosen By A Horse. Same kind of spirit. So sad to think of what he has endured, but all that is behind him now.

So now I guess I get to build a tack & feed shed... LOL. Materials are laying outside the fence, and true to form, a snowstorm is moving in this afternoon so leveling a spot is out of the question for a few days or more. Why of course!
Your words and your pictures made me smile
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back