Electric fence...to use or not to use

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanna Cooke

Reaction score
Got another question for y’all experts out there. I need to separate our paddock in order to have stallions on one side and mares on the other. Ideally, I would split it with cattle panel, because that is what everything else is fenced with around here (that and barbed wire). However, it would cost me a good bit of money to fence it that way, and I’ve really got to be wise. Electric fence/tape is cheaper, and therefore, I would like to use that to fence it off. I would do a double string of it. I just don’t want there to be a risk of them running into, and getting tangled up in it. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Lots of looks and no one is answering so I will give it a shot. I use electric wire (not the tape) so I have no experience with the tape. However my horses are respectful of the fence and I have never had a problem in the 29 years I have had the Minis. My fence is 4 wires high. Never had a problem with them running into the wire but I see some people put ribbon type plastic strip on the fence that makes it easier for them to see the wire. I just have never had a problem.

My stallions however have cattle panel runs with 1 electric wire inside to keep them from rubbing on it. I have 2 stallions and 4 runs. I have to keep an empty run between them so I rotate their runs. I use run 1 &3 or 2&4. I couldn't have mine fenced next to my mares. They have the Belgian Draft geldings or the 2 Thoroughbred geldings for company on the outside of their runs.

I have used electric fence in the past,bu only around the perimeter. I don’t think that I would try to use it to keep mares and stallions separated. I’d be afraid that they would try to intermingle and get rapped up in it. Supposedly it should ground out if that happens but I’m not a real trusting guy like that

Electric fence, whether wire or tape, is usually pretty effective. If the minis have lots of mane or coat though I have seen them ignore the wire as their hair is insulating. I would definitely not use it alone to keep stallions away from mares. Just like other animals, if they want to get through it they will. Some type of solid fence is best.

We use electric tape...4 strands for a couple of our paddocks, but I'd use paneling (solid fence) to keep mares and stallions apart. We used to use the electric tape for a lot of cross-fencing, but have had to replace them because of stallions plowing through during breeding season.

Joanna,
Can you rearrange your fencing by switching out your cattle panels to separate the mares and stallions and use electric fencing elsewhere? Just thinking maybe you can save some money that way with some work if thats even possible.

I use electric fencing for my seperate pastures with no problems, but would not trust it to keep mares and stalliins apart.

This is great everyone, thank you! Yes I really wasn’t comfortable separating mares and stallions with just that. I knew that I would need something solid because otherwise there might be problems. I think we will be able to work things out with the fencing, and I really do appreciate all of your helpful advice.

Latest posts

Back