El Reno Ok. Tornado

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuelinkellyville

Reaction score
Jan Tobey in El Reno Oklahoma just got back to her house and part of the house is gone and some of her smaller barns are gone and so are the horses that were in them, if any of you know her location and can offer her any help at all she will appreciate it. My daughter Deni Bruton is there with her and right now they are all really upset, I don't know what the extent of the damage is, but I know it is BAD.

Update, got home from Jan's last night. We cut the tree off of her horse trailer that has living quarters in it and that is where she is living for now. My son and some other people put tarps on the roof and so the house is protected from the next rain at least. The storm blew shingles off the house and then the hail hit and that knocked holes in the roof which let the rain in. The sheet rock in the ceiling got soaked and even yesterday while the insurance people were there, it was still falling onto the floor. We repaired the fence on her runs because the loafing sheds she had for them were gone so we put up temp. fence to take the place of them.

My personel thanks to the people that were able to show up and brought supplies and labor to help her in her time of need.

Danny Napier

KUEL 1/4 Horses

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, no....I saw that on the news, about more tornados...will be praying for them.

Please send word to her I am sending the biggest hug to her ever.

Anyone know if Davie is ok?

Oh, I'm so glad to hear this news that they've located all the horses. My son Bryan and Tiffany tried to go help her, but they couldn't get there because of the flooding.

Thankful to hearing that the horses were all ok. That is great news.

OMG! More tornadoes! My place is safe and so is Leesa Conley's. I'm sure Davie killman is okay, too, since she's only a couple miles south. Rita, so glad to hear you're okay. We'll try to see if we can do anything for Jan Tobey in the morning. Anyone know any other horse people who were hit?

What a terrifying evening! My handicapped sister is too afraid to climb down the ladder into our storm shelter so we got in the truck with the dogs and headed south. But the storm just kept building further and further south and the streets (all of them!) were bumper to bumper moving about 10 miles per hour. Several times I didn't think we were going to make it to safety. Finally made it to a convenience store in Lexington (after driving over an hour!) and thought we were safe but got hit by the rear flank downdraft. Sideways winds about 80 mph and large hail. Thought the truck was going to tip over with us and the windows were going to shatter. When that passed, we headed home which took us nearly 2 hours because of all the flooded streets. That's the last time we run. sister is going to darn well learn to navigate the ladder into storm shelter but I have to figure out a way to get my dogs in there, too. Anyone know how to lower 3 60-65 pound dogs down into a storm shelter when there's no room for a ramp? No way I'm going into the shelter and leave my precious babies in the house. I'd take the horses down there with me if it were possible. suggestions?

Hoyer lift might work. Medical supply places have them, not sure on cost but easy to operate with just one person. They are used to lift patients from bed to chair etc. My Dad rented one a few years ago he had a full sized foal that had troubles getting up and he could not lift the foal by himself so this worked very well.

What about an old fashioned pulley. Use a bed sheet or rug or tarp as a hammock/sling. Maybe you could use the sheet without the pulley, depending on how deep your hidey is. Practice sometime without an emergency. The dogs might be able to climb out with the ladder if you were underneath to help push them up.

Hopefully the tornado season is over now. What a horrific spring it has been!

Wow
default_sad.png

I've been worried about her horses and am so happy to hear they are all there and fine! Thank God!

So much damage to so many people and animals
default_sad.png

Could you use a car seat harness attached to a rope. have a quick-release snap end that you can use to unhook them once down there?

So sorry to hear about Jan's house and barns but very glad to hear that all of her horses have been found and are ok! Such a horrible year again for storms, so much destruction
default_sad.png

I would have a regular car seat harness for each dog... With any post or anything solid to put a long rope around and take a wrap, pull tension on rope and have someone slide dog over edge while you ease out rope and somebody already in shelter to take off pressure. this would be a life or death emergency sort of arrangement, but I can hold a 400 lb heifer with a long rope and a wrap around a post so I think you would be able to do it with a 65 lb dog with only one or two wraps. Too many wraps and you won't be able to let out rope. Harness will have to be well fitting and tight. I like the kinds with padding and support over the whole chest and belly. I would invest in some sort of pulley. You can train the dogs on lowering by finding something outside not very high to start, such as a porch. Practice putting on harness... lowering short distances and see if the dog tips or if you have to tweek the harness. I would practice emergency response for everybody. How scary. I was reading about how folks tried to run and got stuck in cars on the road. I hate ladders, I can understand your sisters fear. I would have to blindfold myself and feel my way. Looking down is not an option. glad you survived and came out unscathed and I am sure you will be remembering your experience forever. best wishes to you and your family!

Thats horrible! Prayers for her and her family and all who were affected.

I know Deni on facebook and saw those picture's! I feel so bad for Jan and eveyone else! But SO relieved her horses were okay! I wish I lived within reasonable distance, I would be there in a minute to help. We already have friends helping through a local group, and we all donate all we can. Tell them we out here are not forgetting any of them. Anywhere. The news people may, or may only focus on one area, but we quietly try to help in the background
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back