Eight Bells for Eight Belles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Reaction score
There is a petition in support of ringing eight bells at the 2009 Kentucky Derby in tribute of the great filly who was euthanized at the derby two weeks ago.

Here is an article giving information on this movement.

Eight Bells for Eight Belles?

"The phrase "eight bells" notes the ending of one watch and the beginning of another on a ship. It also can be a way of saying that a sailor's lifelong watch is over, as in an obituary."

If you would like to sign this petition, please visit 8 Bells for Eight Belles

Please, if you can, sign it! She was such a gallant and courageous filly and she most definitely deserves to be acknowledged next year.

"The phrase "eight bells" notes the ending of one watch and the beginning of another on a ship. It also can be a way of saying that a sailor's lifelong watch is over, as in an obituary."
Not to hijack your thread but....if that's what Eight Bells means why would anyone name a horse that? Sorry, I'm just a little supersitious when it comes to naming horses!
default_wacko.png

Carin, one of my assistants at one of the TB Farms I worked for said she thought all TB owners had a secret night where they all got together, smoked pot, drank, partied, and named their thoroughbreds! You never know what one will be named!

Carin, one of my assistants at one of the TB Farms I worked for said she thought all TB owners had a secret night where they all got together, smoked pot, drank, partied, and named their thoroughbreds! You never know what one will be named!
LMAO!!! I love it! There have been some wacky names out there. The worst one was Squirtle Squirt. I decided he was no good on the principle of his being named after a pokemon haha...but he was actually a fairly good racer. He won the BC Sprint, was the 2001 Champion Sprinter, made over $1m. I cannot believe someone would name a beautiful, talented Thoroughbred that!!!

I read that the horse was named after a famous painting called Eight bells.. it's also the name of the Weyth estate here in Maine (which i think was what was painted). I can't remember the article i read but it claimed those two things were what she was named after

My thoroghbred's registered name was "Willhemakeit" and, as a racehorse... he did not, but as a hunter he did very well.

HAHA you're not too far off with the "druken, party" names. Some owners we used to have named their horse after a song. And the only reason they did was because at their Christmas party this particular song came on and after a few cocktails they decided that was a cute name for her. It really wasn't bad but just funny as they were slightly intoxicated in naming her :DOH!

What about a petition to stop racing babies so maybe this can be averted in the future? I do think that ringing eight bells would be nice though. Or maybe one bell for every horse that broke down in a race, before each race. But then, maybe thats a whole nother thread.

Latest posts

Back