Edelweiss Training Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhh, that explains why it looked as if he was pushing his left shoulder forward and bending to the right.

I couldn't figure out the slack either, and the left trace seemed loose. I'm glad people post pictures like this, then explain the solution. It helps me to catch things with my own horses, as well as what I might be seeing when out with others.

Thank you!
Yes that would be why it made that illusion. He was actually going in a very large left circle. I'm glad you found it helpful but I hope you don't have to deal with a harness like this! 😅
I've had the bridle come apart once or twice while I am driving and I always have to check if anything has come unbuckled while it's in its bag. I would never ever use it with a green horse. I used to have an Amish made leather harness that was supposed to be A size but was gargantuan! It did not fit a 36" horse, much less a 34" so I ended up selling it and this is the only one I have now. But when I still had it, I would use the nylon backsaddle and reins with the leather bridle and breastcollar with traces. Come to think of it, I should buy a true A size leather bridle and breastcollar w/traces!

Come to think of it, I should buy a true A size leather bridle and breastcollar w/traces!

You should! I have a hard time fitting all my A size horses, almost everything I order is waaaaay to big and I’m always having to add extra holes or take things in a little.

Cant wait to hear about your new horse!

You should! I have a hard time fitting all my A size horses, almost everything I order is waaaaay to big and I’m always having to add extra holes or take things in a little.

Cant wait to hear about your new horse!
Yes! That seems to be a very common problem with the bigger tack companies. Yours are tiny so I can see that happening even more. Mine was just ridiculously big. 36" is far from A size. It was more of a pony harness. Wish I had it now! Lol But I'll be getting synthetic from IVC. They are really nice, well made and reasonably priced.

I will be sure to post pictures of them after they arrive!

Can't wait to meet them!!!!! My two driving horses are 35" and 37" but sometimes I wish they could put the holes a little closer together on the harnesses for adjustments because an inch on a mini can make a big difference in some places!
Yes, it sure can!! The nylon harness is like that and I think the giant leather one was too.
I think the most trouble is with the crupper strap. I got everything else decent on that harness, but that was always too long. I think we did have to punch holes in it before I could use it.

I forgot to mention, the last time I ground drove Amigo before our move, the Uhauls were in the driveway right next to my round pen and he was having a lot of trouble relaxing. As he headed into meltdown mode over the strange new things in sight, he would not walk flatfooted or stand still, but he was keeping a beautiful frame and it reminded me of something, so much to his surprise, I rewarded him for a beautiful.........piaffe!! It was so easy to achieve and repeat. Now I simply cluck in tempo and hold his position, but the contact is very light - lighter than in a trot. It is such an amazing feeling to experience! He holds himself in a perfect compact frame and.....it is just thrilling! I can see the beginning of a levade coming out if I speed up my clucks. I won't push it, but it will come!
This is not something I would do when he is hitched, but I have loved dressage for as long as I can remember, so to have a horse I have trained reaching the highest levels is a dream come true.

I'm so happy for you! They are beautiful😍
Thank you!! I am very happy with them!

Here are pictures from this morning!

I'll start off with MRS Dancing on a Cloud (Fancy) 3yr old Shetland filly who will be in driving and halter training next year.

_mg_7500-jpg.3176157

_mg_7513-jpg.3176149

_mg_7477-jpg.3176125

Next is Wa-Ful KF Dunkirk (Kirk) - Yearling Shetland Miniature Gelding who will be trained in halter and obstacle, and join my lease program.

_mg_7501-jpg.3176176

_mg_7515-jpg.3176206

And the long awaited CDE prospect did not disappoint. MRS Everyone's Favorite Guy (Gaston) - 3yr old Shetland gelding

_mg_7526-jpg.3176212

_mg_7480-jpg.3176214

_mg_7525-jpg.3176213

_mg_7467-jpg.3176216

How exciting! They are beautiful. You're going to be busy! Are you going to set up a training schedule for them? Would be interested in how much time or how many days per week you plan to work with them. Nice arena, you will be able to train in all kinds of weather!!! Love the name Gaston. 😍

How exciting! They are beautiful. You're going to be busy! Are you going to set up a training schedule for them? Would be interested in how much time or how many days per week you plan to work with them. Nice arena, you will be able to train in all kinds of weather!!! Love the name Gaston. 😍
Thank you! Yes, between mine and boarding horses, I am trying not to count how many I have to feed, lol.
My training schedule is more of a record that I write on a small calendar at the end of a day. With my driving horses, usually I drive once a week and ground drive once a week. If they are needing work, I'll ground drive twice a week and drive once the following week. The only time I actually write up a schedule is in the final two weeks before a show. I may start driving twice a week then as well. Otherwise, I just look at my calendar and see what we haven't done in the past few days. Here is an example week for Amigo.
Sun Break/Halter Mon-Ground Drive Tues-Break Wed-Obstacle Thurs-Ground Drive/Drive Fri-Obstacle Sat-Hunter
Breaks usually depend on the weather, but occasionally I'll look at the calendar and see if they should get a break. My Stallion usually gets one every 10 days or so.
Haha, I was going to change that barn name, but it suits him!

I ♥ Gaston! Such a handsome boy! How tall are they all? They look way bigger than mine LOL 😍😍
Yes, they are a realistic size......sorry Nova!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣
Kirk is the smallest, currently 34, will mature around 36. Fancy is 38 and Gaston is 42.
Gaston is incredible! I like him more all the time! Fancy is really nice too and Kirk is just the cutest little baby.

Latest posts

Back