Ebola in the US

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I for one would LOVE to be quarantined if I possibly had the virus. I would want a staff of professionally equipped doctors tending to me and checking me every time I had so much as an itch. No way would I want to go home and self monitor myself! By the time I contacted someone, or drove myself to the hospital, that's an extra thirty minutes I could have already been getting treated.

Another topic meanders into "nothingness" accompanied by tents and porta-potties.

In my opinion, if you think you might possibly be viral, why inflict yourself on others? The risk to others is some percent chance at death. I think it's pretty rude to expose others to your potentially-diseased self, after you volunteered to go fetch that disease home. ...when all you'd have to do is keep your nasty self out of other people's personal space for a relatively short time.

Is one person's right to go bowling more important than the risk to others?

I could easily and happily quarantine myself, for at least six months, if necessary. Unfortunately, my husband still goes out in the big, bad world to work. I could only quarantine him for a couple months before he would run out of paid time.

I'm not usually a person that worries about this sort of "hype." But this one is kind of scary, to me, anyway.

Besides, it's annoying.. I use a blower to clean our stalls after I fork out the bedding; it's dusty so last week I tried to find some dust masks like I usually use, and they were sold out due to the ebola "scare."

With enough food, reading material / audiobooks, a tablet for some games (Farm Heroes, Candy Crush, Angry Bids, Ruzzle, Boggle...), phone to check in with Mom & Dad, and, if at all possible, H and Watson quaranteened with me... I think I could "do that" for decades! ... Oh, and of course, bathroom facilities with some great bubblebath stuff!

Saw this about "the nurse" and may be something some will get. It seems like the desire to help and protect people should work for whatever people she's gone out of her way to live among.

IMG_30927220370483.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would gladly quarantine also. I'd even do the tent and no running water, I love to camp. I haven't heard that anyone is calling for quarantine of doctors/nurses here in the US who have treated patients here, just ones coming back from overseas who treated patients. Which I don't believe is unreasonable. After all does anyone really know what precautions were taken over there? Here at least officials know what precautions were taken, even if they weren't sufficient as in the two nurses who treated Duncan. The one nurse who treated Duncan even asked the CDC if she could fly and they told her yes, so she wasn't being quarantined at the time. Here in MI there are about 10 folks being quarantined, they aren't healthcare workers, just regular folks who traveled to and fro Ebola stricken areas. I don't hear them complaining and they weren't even treating Ebola patients.

Candy Crush, Angry Birds, etc.? oh-no-no-no!

I'm a Nintendo fan. Lock me up with Harvest Moon or Rune Factory; I'd be "schnicking" turnips up and be totally happy. In fact, the husband has to go on the road next week, so I think I'll practice.

Oh be still my heart!!! I could play any Zelda game all day long and the theme song is my ring tone!!!

Maybe the ebola czar-attorney was settled for because no scientist-doctor wanted the job. Just got through reading about 100 or so in the field of epidemiology, microbiology, and the like dying of rather suspicious deaths. Stabbings, plane crashes, cars blowing up, gunshot, car plunging off bridge, and a plethora of unusual circumstances. Just saying. I was not able to paste the link. Sorry. There are several that will turn up in a search. I was reading on Sheep Media, link asheepnomore.net.

Meanwhile, back in Africa: The MV Vega, a commercial cargo vessel chartered by the Defense Logistics Agency, arrived in Liberia October 25 delivering supplies in support of Operation United Assistance. The vessel was loaded in the Netherlands at the Port of Rotterdam transporting 690 containers of food, water, medical protective equipment, generators, lumber, fuel tanks, rough terrain cargo handlers, etc with more than 95% being offloaded in Buchanan, Liberia and the remainder being offloaded in Dakar, Senegal.

This Tuesday offers us a chance to make some changes as to our government. Hopefully it will be the right kind of change.

I'm going to vote tomorrow. There's nothing on the ballot about ebola, though.

Unfortunately, voting doesn't get you what you want. I can select from what's on the ballot. For example, I have to agonize over a Supreme Court Justice (WA state) There's some lady who has judicial experience and some guy, whose photo, no kidding, looks like one of those Duck Dynasty dudes. He has some sort of law clerk degree; oh, and he's filed some class action lawsuits. I have no clue whether the woman is worth squat, but at least she's an attorney and has been a judge for awhile.

For US Representative, I get to decide between Ms. DelBene and Mr. Pedro Celis. (...no offense to Hispanics, but she's a democrat; and,well he's Hispanic so guess where both of them are going to fall on the immigration issue.) I find Ms DelBene particularly offensive, because somehow as a junior representative she maneuvered her ex-Microsoft husband into "fixing" Obamacare's website. I wonder if he ever did that...

No, Ebola isn't on the ballot
default_smile.png
If it was, someone might actually vote for it, though! We can take steps to improve our government today. The choice here is pretty cut and dry and I wouldn't miss this election for just about anything. Today is a chance to be part of why future crisis are dealt with more effectively and sensibly, plus SO much else.

The "quote" thingie not working is really starting to bug me. I'm not sure if I broke it on my end or????

I was trying to quote Jill. I even tried cutting-pasting Jill's comment so I could reply to her hugely, funny comment about ebola not on the ballot and if it were, people would vote for it.

Of course some would vote for it if they could. I think Forest Gump's mom described them very well.

On a forum at work a police officer/guard was expressing concern for protocol on civilian workers coming back from Africa deployment being back in the workforce. He stated concerns about handling their id cards, etc. He was asking about what type of quarantine would be in place. Several employees gave him the thumb down. He gave them a scathing reply back and asked for rebuttals. It was as they say "crickets."

I had to go to the hospital the other day with H for an ultrasound of his leg / foot (he had a severe injury in April followed by several surgeries and ongoing etc.), but the registration desk asked if we'd been out of the country been around anyone who had been, etc. before letting us go back and get the ultrasound going.

I saw a sign in my husbands doctor's office when I was picking up a script the other day... On the counter at the registration desk was a sign and on it was asking to inform the office if you had been out of the country recently and listed the hot spots for ebola countries on the sign.

I like hearing that hospitals are paying attention..

Might be my imagination, but the news people seem to be moving on. If you google ebola, it seems like there are far fewer hits. Seems to me the news people's policy is "stir 'em up, get the ratings, and then drop it."

...probably just my cynicism.

Shame on me; I bit into their agenda.

What concerns me is that the media is not reporting much. There are doctors saying that the CDC is covering up cases is what I am hearing from non-mainstream media. I may sound like a Debbie Downer but I believe the way of supposedly controlling the entry and spread of this disease in our country is equivalent to playing with fire.

I don't know vickie gee. I could be senile, but the news people were hot-to-trot. Now the number of reports have declined significantly, in my opinion. ...with the exception of that last doctor they brought back. At least we didn't pay for it.

You're all good, caring people here, so I'm sure nobody on this forum thinks this, but the overwhelming public attitude seems to be that those who risk their lives to care for Ebola victims have done something wrong and stupid and should be shunned. Let them stay in a tent with a porta-potty, they deserve it.

I don't think people feel that way. I think people feel that those who know the risk should have substantial concern and respect for the people they wish to return to living around and understand that choices to go someplace where you may catch a fatal illness should not be inflicted upon others. If you want to help -- GREAT! But be considerate of others at home and don't basically half-*** your responsibilities to others when you come home.

Also, it's easy easy easy to say you'd love to help knowing you healthwise cannot. I cannot, and if I could I would not. I have zero guilt in knowing I have family and obligations that negate putting myself at unneccessary risk. I personally cannot, and I also would not want family members who could do it to do it, either.

Actually, I have already volunteered to help should the need arise. While my health keeps me from hands-on nursing or direct contact with patients, there are many areas such as public information, media relations, or even stocking/ordering supplies where I could be of use.

In addition, Keith has already begun Ebola training through the hospital at which he works. We would most likely be kept apart during such a time, so that would be a contribution involving both of us.

Even helping the families of doctors and nurses who are involved would be vital, and something anyone can do.

Latest posts

Back