EBAY is warning all to change passwords

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
Heard it on the news today. Security was compromised somehow a couple of months of ago. I changed mine asap. This really makes me wonder about a suspicious email I had been getting supposedly from PayPal that basically said my account was being suspended until I verified/updated my info. I emailed PayPal and asked if it was a phishing scam. They sent me what appeared to be a standard frequent answer about what they would never do and would always do. So, I still did not know so I just decided to wait and see if PayPal worked when I needed it, which was more than a month after the initial email came to me. I had ran out of a product I order off the internet and so I used my PayPal and guess what? It went through, but a couple of days later I got another email about my PayPal being suspended until I verified my info and updated. This one had a misspelled word in the title. That makes me even more suspicious. All this on top of earlier this year an identity thief opened up two bank accounts with my personal info. It was at an internet bank. The fraud department became suspicious when no deposit had been made after 4 days. They tried to contact me by mail but I thought it was junk mail and was trashing it. They finally got me on the phone and explained it all. The thief used my personal info. It was a real headache. I hope it is over. Months later when I was sorting through other old mail to weed out junk mail I found a letter from the firm that used to hold an IRA for me about how even though they no longer had an account for me that accounts had been compromised and that my personal data may have been leaked. Arghhhh! Possibly how my info got into the wrong hands!

I wish they would do to identity thieves what they used to do to horse thieves.

Anyway, if you use EBAY they are urging everyone to change their passwords.

Thanks for the heads up Vickie
default_yes.gif

Yes--those PayPal emails are fake--they have been around for years, I got them even when I didn't have PayPal

In this case now--eBay was hacked, giving access to accounts, passwords and personal into, but the hackers did not get into any financial info. PayPal was not compromised

It was about time I changed my eBay password anyway, I've only had the same one like forever.

We went ahead and changed our paypal account also. It's been the same for 15 years, so probably a change was due. We've received fake paypal messages lately also. They have MY name in the message and want me to CLICK HERE. The account is in my husband's name, however! Any time a message appears to come from paypal, just go to the regular account and see if there is a problem. If not, the email is most likely fake. You may also right click the message without opening it and most likely see if it is a fake that way, depending on what program you use for your mail.

And speaking of things being a pain in the neck--I wanted to buy some canned peaches today and only found one brand that was not a Chinese product. Having to read every single label is a real pain.

I don't use eBay much anymore but I did change my password yesterday, I should do my paypal too just because. My husbands debit card was compromised once, they only had charged one thing and I found it the day the charge was made so was able to get it reversed quickly. A few years ago a hacker got into our work files (We work for the federal govt so you would think that wouldn't happen)...they ended up having to get a company that monitors everyone's credit reports, so we have had that now for a few years. However that only watches your credit report for suspicious activity, like opening of accounts, does not protect accounts individually.

I just received and email telling me that I had sent a payment for just over $50 C. to some RC company and gave me a transaction number for my paypal transaction. Funny thing is I don't have paypal! Of course I thought right away it was phishing and now today it has a warning posted on it saying I should be cautious as it is a common way used to steal people's info. I ran it past my geek squad (my computer savvy son lol) and was told to not delete it yet but to be sure not to click links or give any info out (which I had no intention of doing anyway)

Thanks for the info regarding E-Bay. We went into our "my e-bay" page and saw the notice.

Password is changed.

Folks should never believe e-mail notices from either e-bay or paypal....If there is an issue, they will post it directly onto your page within their site.

Latest posts

Back