Easy boots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were you, I would snug those up tighter around the leg so that big gaping area is not there.  That will allow too much road debris in, and it is that type of thing that will likely be of concern to start rubbing.

I drove him today with the boots.  Just a short half mile jaunt to see how things went when he was in harness.  At first he did not want them on his feet, but he seemed comfortable with them after a few minutes.  He trotted willingly.  I checked when we got home to see if any debris got in, as we went on gravel and grass.  Did not see anything.  I think they will work out fine.

I've used them several times now; also put them on him when we are just going for our walk.  Farrier was out today and looked things over.  He noticed the wear on the toes of the boots, but Dapper Dan's hooves are growing out instead of being worn square.  So it's a good thing.

Marsha how is the velcro on your boots? Is it really hard to pull apart?  The Velcro on my cavallo boots are about to give out and I have only used them lightly.  I'm not too happy with this.  I can get new Velcro straps but not sure if I want to bother buying new straps all the time.  I'm  thinking I should maybe put the money into new boots.  The plus side is I know that with the cavallos I CAN use the Velcro as its not super tight/hard to undo.   

The velcro is pretty strong.  I don't think it will give out.  It used to take me about 15 minutes to get the boots on but I got them on in about 5 minutes this morning.  I usually let him walk about 50 yards, then stop to readjust, as he get his foot down in the boot--particularly on the back hooves as they are somewhat upright.  I think the farrier, who likes Renegade, was rather impressed with them.  I read the blog of a driver who went on a weekend-long trail trek.  She said the velcro failed, but the boots were not new.  I don't think I will be taking Dapper Dan on a 15 mile trek, so it probably won't be an issue for us.

Bah!  I tried to edit my post for clarity and it double posted as a quote.  Sorry.  I am still not used to the changes in the.format and I guess I hit the wrong thing.

Since I got the boots to help with Dapper Dan's arthritis, I doubt we will go on any 15 mile treks.  I don't think I could ride in a cart that long!  I do plan to go at least 4 miles when the dirt road dries up a little.  Where the water comes off the mountains, it makes a bog across the dirt roads, even though everything else is bone dry.

I was wondering if the size 2 might be a little small for Dapper Dan's hind feet, so today I tried putting the #3 size on the back when we went for our walk.  No boots on the front.  The #3 are too large; it's better to be a little snug, I think.  The hoof actually turned inside the boot even though I had it snugged up with the velcro.  So, now I'm content with the hind boots being a little snug.  That's better than too loose.  He wears #3 on the front and #2 on the hind.

Mindy, you use your horses a lot more than I use Dapper Dan. When these wear out I might check out the Fusion ones; I think the whole market in miniature boots is improving all the time. I did read your blog about the Easy Boots.

I have a team of mini donkeys and I am planning a 15 mile treck some time around October. Most of it will be gravel with a little pavement. What kind of boot do ya'll recamend

I have a team of mini donkeys and I am planning a 15 mile treck some time around October. Most of it will be gravel with a little pavement. What kind of boot do ya'll recamend

Just above I share a blog post, with lots of pictures and a video, and talk about my experience with several different styles of miniature horse boots. I talk about what they were good for and how they held up for me. I put LOTS of miles on my minis, one of our drives was over 15 miles last summer, but that was only one day. We did several of these group drives as well as many many conditioning drives in between. The Easy Boots did not hold up well for us. I prefer the Equine Fusion boots. But again, the blog above talks about all of this :)

I'm prolly going to go with the easy boot. I just can't fork out that kind of money for the fusions.

If you don't have to cross any water or deal with any mud you will probably be fine. But I will say that I have purchased 4 pairs of Easy Boots in the last 2 years because we use them up so quickly. The velcro just stops working and rocks get into the boots as they stretch out more and more. If I had only just purchased the Fusion boots to begin with I would have saved money! LOL!

Latest posts

Back