Easter?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REO

Reaction score
Hey guys, what does everyone have planned for Easter?

I guess I'll do the usual. I dye a bunch of eggs and each one I put names of the horses, cats and dog
default_smile.png

And then we eat eggs for a week LOL

Wish I could go back in time and have Easter like they were as kids. I really believed when I was little. Wearing the outfit that my mom made for us (dressed me & my sister the same even though we were 2 years apart) the white sandals
default_smile.png

Finding eggs among the flowers, with the kitty following me. Finding the big basket full of goodies!

AH,Easters past, when I was a young girl Easter was a big deal. Had to get dressed to the nines for church, dress, white or patten shoes, white gloves and of course a hat, Easter bonnet. I was an only child and don't remember ever getting an Easter basket with candy, but did dye eggs, and still do. When my kids were little we not only had an egg hunt we have a big family dinner, even after they grew up they would come here for that, but now that everyone is scattered all over we don't do that anymore. Sometimes I go to my youngest daughters house and dye eggs with them. I still make baskets for the grandchildren under the age of 14, the ones that live close by that is. I used to mail cards but most of them are grown now and even have children of their own, Great grand children for me, and too many to buy for them all.

This year I've already bought stuff to make baskets, I've been getting it a little at a time, some of it is so cute. Other then making the baskets I'm not sure what I'm doing, it's still up in the air.

Easter!?! It's almost Easter already????? Gosh I'm just getting out of my snow suit! LOL! I can't think about making baskets, coloring eggs, eating good food, and of course all the chocolate!
default_drool5.gif

No way not yet, I still have a few days, I'll get it together later! LOL! Kiddo must have a basket, can I put a Basket ball in an Easter basket? He needs a new one and I think he'd like that!

Alright I'm going outside and don't make me think about yummy food
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png

ETA: remember little white shoes that were so shinny and you couldn't wear them until Easter Sunday? And the fancy hats? Oh and I remember the banana pudding with Nilla wafers lining the pretty glass bowl! And how when you ate it the day after the bananas were black but yummy.......

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember dying eggs, chocolate rabbits, warm sunshine, new hats and frilly dresses, white mary janes with frilly lace edged socks, and ham.

We have made no plans. I am sure my Mom would like to get together. My sister Has her married daughter and unmarried son; but the daughter's husband's family is rather "grabby" with their time for all holidays-sad to say. I would love to have my son and his girl and her kids over for Easter too-but I don't want to have her think I am pushy about holidays. She was raised in Mexico and does have family here-so I want to be flexible. Our son is our only one-but I understand about sharing time with the other families.

We still dye the eggs, it wouldn't be Easter without them. Our family usually gets together and has a huge dinner of eggs, ham and Easter bread. The Easter bread is a tradition from my grandmother's family. It is my favorite part of the meal. We usually have the gathering at my grandparents house, but this year it is going to be at an aunt's place. I can't wait.
default_smile.png

No Easter for me…..I'm off on a road trip. Leave on the 18th (Good Friday) and don't come home until the 27th.

10 days on the road with 6 dogs….should be a good time!
default_doh.gif
default_whistling.gif
LOL A few people think I'm slightly crazy!!

The Cardigan Welsh Corgi Club of America is holding their National Specialty at Purina Farms (Gray Summit, MO). Herding Trials are the 19 & 20, Obedience/Rally-Obedience/Agility are all on the 21 & 22, Conformation starts the evening of the 22nd with a formal 'fun' match, Puppy & Veteran Sweepstakes on the 23, Dog classes the 24th, Bitch classes the 25th, Best of Breed on the 26th. I have something entered every day except the 24th…..which will make for a VERY busy time!!!! Can't wait to catch up with people I haven't seen for a couple of years….we always manage to have a great time!
default_yes.gif

I just hope the weather is decent for everyone!!

~kathryn

I'll be making the traditional cake with white frosting and green coconut "grass" with jelly beans and Peeps chicks/bunnies.

I'm afraid I get a little impatient with the modern egg hunts. We children almost believed an Easter Rabbit laid colored boiled eggs. But what self respecting child can believe in plastic eggs filled with sanitary wrapped candy or money? Remember the colors of the boiled egg when the shell was peeled? Our dogs loved it, following us around waiting for egg crumbs to fall. It was fun to see those colorful boiled eggs made into tuna salad.

I didn't like wearing the hat with the elastic under the chin, though.

No big plans as three of my mares are due Easter sunday. I always make my husband deviled eggs out of my bantam eggs so they're bite sized. He likes them that way. He always buys me a bag of the peanut butter eggs because those are my favorite. Last year we deep fried a spiral ham. It was delicious so maybe we'll do that again.

My family went all out for Easter as I was growing up. It was over the top, the whole nine yards. New Easter clothes from head to toe with all accessories and into Sunday church services we went. Then big huge family dinner with a thousand relatives.

Far from that now. I don't even hardly do Easter at all but now that I have a grandbaby, I got into it a little bit this year. I put out some decorations, actually a lot of decorations.Why not? It brightened up this place . I raided the Dollar Tree and took out a few things I had in storage. I didn't do the outside just yet but I will as soon as it gets a bit warmer. I'll be making a nice big basket for my grand baby too.

MARCH 16.jpg

Well my mother finally got back to me about this. We are having lasagna (one veggie with white sauce, once traditional) My home made garlic bread, salad, A's whatever creamy pie that I feel like making.

Not traditional but we aren't, either lol

We always have our traditional glazed ham with all the trimmings..macaroni salad, potato salad etc. We decorate a bunch of eggs and the kids have fun. Amysue good luck with your mares maybe you will have one born on Easter Sunday! I have one that was, her name is Glory Reigns.

I love Lasagna! I mentioned just yesterday I wanted some of my Moms stuffed cabbage rolls and maybe since we had ham a couple weeks ago we could have that for Easter. From the look I got that's not happening. Terry I'm glad you mentioned the baskets, I need to get busy with that. YES when growing up we always had new patent leather shoes and a new hat for Easter Sunday!!

I loved all your posts! I smiled all the way through them
default_smile.png

We always helped dye the eggs, but I still believed when I was way young. LOL

Once when I was a young teen, my "basket" was a white straw cowboy hat
default_smile.png
Years later when I was in a riding club, I needed a black hat for the group parade entry. Spray painted that hat! Yup, ended up with a black ring on my forehead LOL

Us too. One year I made Christmas tacos
default_smile.png

Usually I have to work on Easter, we usually do a ham, scallop potatoes, etc. on our day off after Easter, Tuesday. We don't have family nearby so it's usually me and hubby and a couple friends. This year I am taking Easter off...not doing the traditional Easter thing though...hubby and I are taking our CPL class (concealed pistol license). Surprised they were having one on Easter, but they are. The instructor said it will be a small class, about 6 people so I am taking a spiral ham for us all to eat.

Reactions: REO
We still carry on the tradition of flying kites! And I'm grateful for that. Granted, it's not out in the pasture dodging crabby mama's & cow piles, but at least my kids are able to enjoy it! Most of my Easter's revolved around getting my cousins bucked off of my naughty mare.
default_whistling.gif
And I will never forget great-grandma's angel food cake with homemade whipped cream & jelly bean frosting. This year (as in most recent years) we will be getting together at the nursing home to hang out with my Granddad eating ham & hashbrown casserole with Culver's frozen custard for dessert!

I really enjoy reading all of these posts. Makes me smile inside & out!

I just received word that my mom is having everyone for Easter. Yippee!! My niece is coming home for it and I can't wait to see her. two of my sisters and their families will also be there but I wish my brother and the other two sisters could be there as well. We aren't eating until after four so I think I shall take the kids and hubby to see a movie beforehand. I'm going to have a very hard time with all of the Easter candy. I'm trying to be good but the devil keeps tempting me with all this chocolate and marshmallow peeps.
default_unsure.png

We will go to Church, then to our son's for dessert. I'm bringing a white cake with green coconut "grass" with jelly bean "eggs"--the universal favorite Easter dessert. My mother, who just had her 86th birthday, will go with us. I think there will be an egg hunt. Everyone will be in Easter finery. Hope we remember to take our camera!

Ill be enjoying Easter for the first time in 13 Years. Working in the hospitality industry till last year meant I had to work thru Easter every year. But Not now
default_thumbup.gif
I changed careers so I would have more time at home with Family, Friends and most of all my horses.

Hope you all have a wonderful Easter, I know I will
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back