Earthquake centered in Illinois felt here in Ky

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathy_H

Reaction score
I live in Kentucky & at about 5:38 this morning a 5.4 earthquake centered in Illinois was felt as far away as middle Tennessee. It woke me up..
default_unsure.png
default_ohnoes.jpg
Initial damage reports are some bricks fell off a building in Louisville........... Several people told me that we did not need earthquake insurance for this area including our insurance agent & I almost dropped it this year because it has more than doubled................. Hmmmmmmm - I think I'll keep it....................... Everyone in Illinois ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
wow when i lived there they kept saying it could happen but no on really believed it. hope everyone is okay

I am Columbia MO and we felt it!! I thought I was dreaming!!

My husband goes to work early then calls me everyday at 7:00 and tells me about it!! They keep saying it could happen in MO.. I guess it has!!

Yep, about 4:30 this morning woke up to what I first thought was a huge blast of wind making the house pop and creak. It really didn't last very long, but sure gave us a good wake-up shake. I hope this isn't a peep into the future, the last quake I remember here was when our youngest daughter was still in high school, and she has a 19 year old son now, so it's been awhile. Hmmm, once in about every 25 years or so, that's often enough! (Wonder what the horses thought?).
default_unsure.png

When my mom got up this morning she asked my dad and I if we felt a trembling this morning. My dad and I said no. We are approximately 1 1/2 hrs south of the Ky border, between Nashville and Knoxville.

And we have earthquake insurance. I told my mom last fall that we should have it as we live in the mountains and mountains are created by fault lines.

I saw that on the morning news this morning. I also saw the footage of the bricks that had fallen.....very scarey stuff!! Seems like any state is prone to any kind of stuff Mother Nature decides to throw out.

My sister in law and family live in Louisville KY and the bricks falling were about 2 blocks from her work!! She said they are restoring an old building and the bricks were from it...

Funny thing is she works in a really HIGH RISE building near there.. Glad they were all safe!

i slept right through the early morning one but felt a significant tremor at about 10:15 a.m. nothing since then. i looked out the window right away and saw all 3 horses flying into the barn! no reaction at all from the corgis, which surprises me.

Didn't feel the earthquake, but a lot of people did in Indiana. We were out feeding and we live near I-70 and get a lot of interstate noise and semi noise. So didn't think much of it, but some of the horses didn't eat like they should. Everyone and I mean everyone goes after their grain. And a few didn't this morning. They got a mouthful and walked away. And our pygmy goat wouldn't eat at first. So I was smelling and tasting the feed thinking something was wrong with it. They all finally ate. But I figure that was what was happening, they felt it. I felt the aftershock at work sitting at my desk at about 11:15. The cubical walls and my chair was trembling. Wondering what the heck, and then some one yelled out Hey did you feel that, so I figured it was the aftershock.

Wow. Earthquakes can happen anywhere.

Im at college in Carbondale and we had some major shaking and it woke me up but no damage. Also the farms ok (i called 30 seconds after it happend). woke them up there but no damage thankfully!!

They say that we should be having after shocks anytime from now for a month so i hope none of them are big
default_sad.png

Im at college in Carbondale and we had some major shaking and it woke me up but no damage. Also the farms ok (i called 30 seconds after it happend). woke them up there but no damage thankfully!!

They say that we should be having after shocks anytime from now for a month so i hope none of them are big
default_sad.png
are you at SIU? my son went to law school there, what a beautiful campus!

i slept right through the early morning one but felt a significant tremor at about 10:15 a.m. nothing since then. i looked out the window right away and saw all 3 horses flying into the barn! no reaction at all from the corgis, which surprises me.

I felt that one here in Iowa as well. Was at work on the phone and felt it. I'm in an OLD 3 story building, was on the phone with someone across town in a more modern and secure building (a local hospital) and he was not feeling it. But I sure did! If I hadn't heard about the early morning tremor I wouldn't have thought it was an earthquake, would have thought they were doing some jack hammering in the street or something
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back