Early Thursday morning wake up call

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade3504

Reaction score
My family lives in Royal Palm Beach FL, fairly safe place to live until this past Thursday morning. 4 AM I wake to loud bangs. I start to ask my husband "Is that a gu..." Before I could finish he is saying yes and running for the kids. Our room is downstairs and theirs are upstairs. He gets them downstairs and me and the kids huddle together as he calls 911. Even though the 911 operator already had gotten calls she asked my husband if he was sure they were gunshots and not a car backfiring. Let me tell you that the noise was no car backfiring. Then my husband decides since the gunfire had stopped even before he called 911 to try and go next door to check on a girl who lives alone there ane who is in college. We all yelled at him not to go. He opens the door to our townhouse and then quickly comes back in saying someone had been shot. He thought it was the neighbor to our right. A guy that is our age who lives with his mother. Chris calls 911 again and says that someone has been shot. They say the ambulance is on the way. Well, it shouldn't take that long. We can see the police department and the fire station from our front door. At this point our 11 year old daughter is freaking out. I am pretty much only holding it together for the kids. Becca, the 11 year old is shaking and crying. John, our 9 year old not as bad but still shaking. The police get there and our front door along with two other neighbors become part of the crime scene. We are allowed out back so once the kids settle a little we call their grandmother to come and get them. We don't want them seeing the body outside since it will be growing light soon and they are scared to be here at the time.

It turns out that a group of 3 stole a truck from the next towhnouse over in our complex, drove around to our building and tried stealing our neighbor's motorcycle. The neighbor's dog started growling and it woke the neighbor. He looks out the window and sees what's going on and yells at them to stop. Then he says they pulled a gun and aimed it at him so he got his rifle and fired. I had counted at least 5 shots. Two I heard as soon as I woke up, there was a pause and then 3 more. One of them was hit in the chest and killed the other two ran leaving the stolen truck.

Here's the bad news. These guys who tried to do the stealing are part of a gang known for getting revenge when someone upsets them. The one who died pled guilty to first degree murder just last year. He only got a year and probation. Part of that was because he plea bargained and the other part is because victims and witnesses wouldn't testify. They are known for assault and drive by shootings. The neihbor's have been gone since this happened. All of us left fear retaliation when they come back. I am really worried. We live right next door. If they do a drive by I don't thin they are going to be concerned that they only hit one townhouse. Our kitchen window faces the front where they'd drive by. My daughter's window faces the front where they would drive by. Some people say that the guy got what he deserved and that they would have done the same. I say that it was a motorcycle and instead of putting your life in danger call the cops and if they managed to get the motorcycle on the truck let them have it. Now the neighbor has a gang that most likely will be after him and whoever else gets in the way.

Oh, and we are pretty sure that my husband and my daughter saw the two accomplices as they went out to my mother in laws car. Two young african american men were walking down the parking lot. They were wearing black and had hoods on. Chris, my husband, and my daughter heard them crying. Everyone hinks they came back to see if the 3rd guy made it and then walked away when they saw that he didn't. Chris didn't think anything of it at the time. Later, when the dead guy's family found out what happened they showed up at the crime scene with a group of young men wearing black jackets and black hoodies with dark pants. Yesterday, a few african americans were sitting at the corner of our building in the guest parking spots. When the cops drove by they left. The cops have been here quite a bit but what happens when they stop coming around and the neighbors return? I don't want to be here anymore.

My parents moved from Philly before I was even born. I have four older siblings, and with pennies in their pockets and four kids in tow, they moved from the city. Decades later, looking back, we didn't, know we were broke growing up, materialistic things didn't matter much. There was always an open door, room for one more at the table, and a lot of love to go around.

I thank God for growing up with a carpet of green beneath my feet and a sky full of stars instead of macadam and street lights. I hope my kids never take these things for granted. If it is in the cards, I may not be easy, it may not always go the way you want, but I would do my best to try to get my family away from city life if I were in your shoes. Things are nice, but when it comes down to it a roof over our head, clothes on our back,food in our bellies and the love and support of our family is worth more than any store bought item one could ever have.

I pray for your safety and that of your family and neighbors. Did the guy get what he deserved? Well....dead is really a harsh penalty, but maybe a flesh wound? I would look at alternative living situations if it were me and feasible - I can imagine nothing worse than being scared to be in my own home.

I would like nothing better than to get out of here and wish it was this very weekend. This was a really nice quiet neighborhood until Thursday morning. I am trying to figure out what to do. The hard thing is that I am out of work from all the procedures I am having done for my skin cancer and now my husband has been out of work as he has been injured and we just found out yesterday that he has to have surgery on his neck. He's got 3 herniated discs and one is starting to push on his spinal cord. I want to try to get back where I came from before moving down here once I married him but I just have to figure out how. Neither of us wanted to live down here in the city before and that's even more so now.

Right now the crime scene people are in the parking lot with the building next to ours going over a gray pickup truck that was in one of the visitor parking spots. I saw it yesterday adn thought that it didn't belong here but with the holidays thought that somewhat might be visiting. I guess it doesn't belong here and i am almost sure that it has something to do with Thursday.

Sounds like S. California. We are well outside LA, where gunfire is a constant, but even here in the high desert, we hear it. I have heard it twice in the last week. We did have a gang come into our previous neighbourhood and shoot up a home a while back. Problem is, they got the wrong house and a baby was hurt. Not safe anywhere these days. And now in California, they have let thousands out of jail because of overcrowding. Crime in the US is truly dreadful.

I'm glad you are all safe but your neighbour did not do the correct thing, in such a situation.

Lizzie

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG Amanda!!
default_new_shocked.gif

I wish you could get out of there!

Please tell me that your husband DID tell the cops what he saw, the direction they walked off at etc. They need all the clues and help they can get.

My thoughts are with you!

I'd throw my family in the car, u-haul in tow and be driving far away by now because I'm a weenie. Since you have family members who are witnesses I'd be asking the detective on the case for advice. Sometimes cops have a special slush fund for such things within their department. Maybe they can put you in touch with social services for assistance since this is a very tedius situation. Any relatives you can perhaps stay with for now?

I am so sorry! I would have to leave
no.gif
I hope you and your family stay safe!

My husband did tell them what he and our daughter saw. We think they went and looked on the video surveillance to see what they had described. Neither one are witness enough though that they can identify their faces, only what they were wearing. One had a hood on covering most of his face and the other had his head down. The only people the cops are all that concerned about is the neighbors. They got them out of here on Thursday. I think that we are safe until they come back. I hope that they decide not to come back. I took the dogs for a walk this morning and walked through a park where there were some people besides me. Someone came around the maintenance building as I was headed that way and scared the crap out of me so I that point I decided to go home.

I might be talking to my parents about going to stay with them if the neighbor's come back. They don't have alot of room but the kids and I are scared. If we can't get out we are going to move our daughter's bed back to our son's room on the back side of the townhouse so she won't be next to the neighbor's bedroom. We are most likely going to get counseling for the kids. The younger one is kind of oblivious as to what is going on. He feels that it happened and it is over. Our 11 year old daughter watched the news at my mil's house and heard that there were two other's with this guy and she put it together that they might come back. She thinks though that if those two are caught it will be over.

We can't move over to the inlaws even if they were OK with that as that is the neighborhood we moved away from for safety reasons for our daughter. I just have to figure out how to get out of this city.

I don't know where you live but I grew up in the city. Not all neighborhoods are bad. Move. I assume you rent so its a lot easier to move than if you owned, granted you'd have to break a lease. But if you looked over your contract closely, you might be able to find a loop hole in regards to safety. These people probably will come back and you owe to yourself and children to get out of the crosshairs. Bullets aren't picky and they'll kill whomever they hit. I've also found that "gangsters" generally don't spend a lot of time at the target range and they don't hold their weapons properly. So, they are more likely to hit YOU than their intended target. Get out of there.

Thankfully weapons are legal here in KY... unlike some places where only criminals have guns. The criminals have just as much to worry about as the citizens do
default_smile.png
I hope things settle down quickly...

The only place we could go right now would be my parents and that would be if they'd let us. We have no money with Chris and I being out of work. We are renting but we don't have any money for another place. I would love to leave though.

The mother of the guy who did the shooting returned today and I was worried but she only returned long enough to get some stuff and leave again. She had 3 police officers with her. Two went inside with her and 1 stayed outside. They had two police cars. One was pulled in front words and they had the other backed in. Her son was not with her. Nobody knows where he is and she is staying with relatives. As long as they don't come back I think we are OK.

Just talked to my parents. We basically aren't allowed staying with them if something were to happen again. The funny thing is that if my sister sells her house her family is allowed staying there but if our house is hot at and we are more scared than we already are then she doesn't have enough room for us. There is 4 in my family and four in my sister's. This is what happens in my family when you get a divorce. You don't count anymore as you went against god and got a divorce. My husband is trying to tell me that they aren't their family but I tell him there are children involved and I am supposed to be part of the family. Apparently, I am not.

Thankfully weapons are legal here in KY... unlike some places where only criminals have guns. The criminals have just as much to worry about as the citizens do
default_smile.png
I hope things settle down quickly...
He was allowed to use his gun in this case that is why he wasn't charged. Even if they hadn't pointed a gun at him they were in the act of taking his property and protecting your property with a gun is allowed. The funny thing is that this place has security cameras and the police station and fire station can be seen from our door but they still came here. The paramedics came over by foot and I think some of the police did too.

I would be moving and who ever that was that shot at them and killed their buddy, I would already be packed and outta there!!!!

I would be moving and who ever that was that shot at them and killed their buddy, I would already be packed and outta there!!!!
The guy who lives next door and did the shooting has been gone as has his mother. She came back for a few minutes yesterday to grab some things and had 3 police officers with her. We haven't seen her son and don't know if he is coming back. I don't know what they plan on doing but it would be good for everyone here if they didn't come back.

We also have a silver pickup over at the ohter townhouse building that is next door where the first pickup was stolen from. It has been sitting here and my husband and I are sure it doesn't belong here. The police were all over it the other night taking finger prints and such. It's in a visitor parking spot and hasn't moved so we think it had something to do with Thursday morning. My husband thinks it is one of the cars the criminals used and they are hoping that they come back for it. I hope that is not the case.

Latest posts

Back