Early Foaling Need Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindleberry

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a friend who needs help. I've never delt with this so I have no advice for her.

She has a miniature mare, maiden, foaled approx a month early. Live colt. Both dam and sire are 3yrs. Foaled in pasture during rain storm.

Foal is spunky and trying to get up. Hooves soft, he has soft silky hair and bloodshot eyes. Weak in the rear end. Mare isn't making milk, colt doesn't like powered colostrum. She has a mare in milk and is currently getting her milk for the colt. She's only been able to get 6oz on the colostrum in him.

Vet is coming in the morning to do the ICG test. Guess the vet cant get their sooner. Sorry that is all I have right now. She has went back to the barn.

Thankyou in advance!

that is not even close to enough colostrum. Please tell her vet to bring plasma with him as sometimes its not easy to find or get. At this rate he will for sure need a transfusion.

I know some put a little karo syrup in the powdered colostrum to get the foal to drink it. Just a little bit!! dont over do it.

Keep milking the mare and put warm towels on her udder to encourage her milk to come in.

Could the mare have been on fescue? if so they can give her a shot to help

sending prayers

Kay has good advice.

Tell her to put a warm damp wash cloth on the momma's bag and feed her plenty of grain. Keep trying to milk her and feeding it to the foal.

If they have either Kayo or Mollasass (sp) , dip their finger(s) in it and let the foal suck on them every hour or so....especially if they can't get any of mom's milk down him. They REALLY need to try to get the REAL thing or the substitute into him through the night until the vet arrives.

Under the circumstances, they need to let the vet know that a plasma transfusion will probably be needed, not just the test. (Fingers crossed for your friend!)

Domperidone will bring in her milk if vet has any, otherwise wooowee. But, you still need the plasma at this point.

With the silky hair, etc. He's a preemie. The deal is that you would really want to have mare come into milk so that foal can/will nurse after you get him through this first few days. Otherwise, you have a bottle baby and that's a tough job!

I wish your friend the best of luck.

Thankyou! Will update when she updates me. Im waiting....the vet should have been there by now. Unless her and I are on different times....She's in PA. I think....

The baby did not make it.
default_sad.png
Thanks for the help, she appreciates it.

I am so sorry
default_no.gif

Just an fyi on the the vet coming out in the morning for the ICG, I think that is most telling if it's done 12 hours or more after they first nurse. It is not very meaningful if it's done much earlier.

So sorry about the foal
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back