Eagles and Mini Foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erickson Miniature Horses

Reaction score
I have 3 bred miniature mares and was wondering if eagles would be a problem to the foals? Many years ago we had a Yorkshire Terrier, Libby, who was snatched by an eagle in our back yard. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with eagles and foals?

I have never had a problem with birds of prey bothering foals but I have lost many chickens this way. I saw these cute vests for pets with big butterfly eyes printed on them that are supposed to deter predatory birds from grabbing small dogs or chickens. I dont know how you're supposed to dress a chicken but you could easily fashion a blanket for a foal. The catalog claimed they worked, i think they were featured in "hobby farms" magazine.. If you are concerned about eagles you could try this, but I think you'll be okay.

AmySue, they make clothes for pet birds including chickens, I think they are called "flight suits" or something similar. some are absolutely hysterical.

The mini & Arabian farm I used to work on was at the foot of the Rockies - we had many bald & golden eagles around. They never bothered the foals.

links to suits for dogs would be appreciated..

I have great horned owls near by and worry about my one blind dog that only weighs 5 lbs. I go out with her now at night but once during a day outing I saw a bald eagle sitting on a tree right next to our yard watching her. I worry about her, she circles in a weird fashion since she went blind and she must look like easy pickings wobbling around out there.

I never turn her out alone in the yard, we have a bouncing collie that babysits her and probably why the eagle kept its distance, but those suits sound interesting. I googled and didn't see anything.

PS, a neighbor saw an eagle pick up a fawn and carry it off in broad daylight once near here. It was a very small fawn, must have been a twin or triplet. Another neighbor that has goats and sheep have complained about predatory birds snagging newborn babies from their farm. We have many large predatory birds around here.

Interesting topic..

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont doubt an eagle could pick up a foal. I have never seen it but that does not mean it is not possible. For protection, provide a form of cover for the minis and maybe try hanging those owl or hawk decoys. The chicken capes are from www.crazykfarm.com and www.hensaver.com. you could decorate a foal blanket in a similar fashion. At a glance I thought these were rediculiously hilarious but they may serve a purpose. Good luck.

Only have seen a baby Pygmy goat sized up, I think most mini foals would be a touch too big.

I agree with Disneyhorse I have had miniature foals in the past and never had trouble from big birds, though had a puppy plucked out of my yard once while we were all out playing, we did manage to get her back safely when the hawk dropped her and she was named Charm after that because she was unhurt from her ordeal. I do have friends in southern Arkansas who have had a lot of problem with vultures and new born calves...when the cow is calving they collect and if the cow doesn't get right up they attack the calf before it gets up...which I didn't think this would happen but they had an incredible amount of these big black vultures who were very aggressive for about two years. So I think you are always wise to be aware of what is in your area. I would be more worried about dogs/coyotes as I have had trouble with both trying to get to young foals.

We have had Bald Eagles in the pasture.

They are BIG.....as tall, at the head, as my 32 or 33" minis at the shoulder.

One grabbed a feral cat and was trying to make it lunch.

The mare herd advanced on it and kept it moving down the pasture.

It dropped it's meal and flew into the trees.

When it came back to gather up it's lunch again the girls kept it moving

until it flew back into the trees, with it's bounty, to eat it.

We keep a close eye out when there is a brand new foal and keep them and

the mommies close to the barn.

Latest posts

Back