E-books anyone?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyLover2

Reaction score
My daughter is going to buy son-in-law an e-book reader for Christmas. I thought I'd try to get him a membership (if there is such a thing)from an e-book site, but I'm totally out of my league here. Do any of you use an e-book reader and can you recomment good sites for downloading books? Thanks in advance as I can use all the help I can get.

Kindle through amazon. Now they have the kindle fire which is basically a small ipad with a different operating system...they are around $200. The basic kindle is about $120. Whats nice is you can get gift cards at most stores for amazon so he can download books. I loved my kindle but just recently got a galaxy tab and now read my kindle books on it...it is the same size as the kindle.

My daughter is going to buy son-in-law an e-book reader for Christmas. I thought I'd try to get him a membership (if there is such a thing)from an e-book site, but I'm totally out of my league here. Do any of you use an e-book reader and can you recomment good sites for downloading books? Thanks in advance as I can use all the help I can get.

Hi Donna, Amazon. I just this week bought the new Kindle Fire. (Came out Tuesday, Nov. 15) So far I just love it. It is Amazons answer to Apples IPad.. But only $199.00 (Nook is $249.00) (Sony is $199.00, same as Kindle Fire) compared to Apples 4-6 hundred. They (Amazon) have yearly membership fee of $79.00 but it gives you many more benefits. I'm so excited over it. I've already downloaded 7 books and read 3 of them. I don't know if any of the "just book readers" have membership fees or not. On mine you can play games, email, music, movies. The reading site has a lifetime membership fee of 30$, I did join it but am haviing a lot of trouble using it. And mostly the free books are not something I want to read. It all depends, I think, on which reader she buys. I would urge her to get one that does more than just read books.. So an Amazon gift certificate would be great for the Kindle Fire, Barnes and noble for the Nook. Find out wich she is buying, Who makes it and go from there. Good Luck.

Don't have enough money for a kindle so I use the free Amazon Kindle for PC and I love it. Plenty portable if you have a laptop. I love e-books!

Oops just realized you were only asking about memberships....sorry. My sil always gets me amazon gift cards as I mentioned for my kindle\tab...nice about those is that amazon sells everything, not just ebooks, so it can be used for anything. I dont know which ereaders are compatible with amazon though...is it just kindles?

Ditto the Amazon gift card!

I love my Kindle! I've always been a voracious reader, but my vision makes it impossible to read a book without a magnifying glass -- a surefire headache -- which pretty much destroyed a huge part of my life.

Kindle has brought reading back, as I can enlarge the text to where reading is comfortable. The only bad thing is not having a reason to visit and support the world's greatest bookstore, Portland's Powell's Books. It also means no more touch and smell of books, and no books for my library (I do plan on buying the physical books anyway, just to have them -- at least with my favorites.)

I briefly considered an iPad, being a Mac user, but decided instead to spend the big money on my MacBook Pro and got the Kindle just for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Nook Color and I love it! I actually use it as a "tablet" while out of town and don't use my netbook anymore (which I had to have when they came out a few years ago....lol
default_rolleyes.gif
)

I have several books on my "wish list" saved on my Nook so I don't forget which books I wanted to read...lol
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif

I also have a Nook Color, and love it. I can get my email, and face book and websites. Rumor has it I can watch movies but I haven't tried that yet.

No membership fees. I can borrow ebooks from the Columbus Metropolitan Library for free, and they also have audiobooks I can load on my iPod.

Kindles will be on sale at Wal-Mart on black friday for $70
default_smile.png

Thanks so much ladies for your input. I think she's leaning toward the Kindle just for reading. He's a voracious reader but isn't into things like facebook, email, movies, etc.

Susanne, how wonderful for you that you found something to help with your reading. My Mom had macular degeneration and could no longer read. She missed it terribly. I think the Kindle would have helped her too.

Latest posts

Back