Dying manes and tails

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birchcrestminis

Reaction score
Hello forum members, I am hoping to get some advice. I have never dyed anything before and I have two black pintos with a little sun bleaching in their forelocks, manes and ones tail. What brand of dye do you prefer, what color - I know black - but there are different shades I quess. How long do you keep it in ,and then wash it out ? I told you I don't have a clue : ) What are your techniques for not getting it all over ?

I thought about using magic maker on the filly that just needs it on her forlock and a little mane as her tail and most of the mane is white, is that a real dumb idea ?

I hope a few people will chime in their experiences so I can decide if i want to under take this and possibly make a real mess - or just leave well enough alone.

P.S. the show is in two weeks

Thanks for reminding me that I need to dye Princess's mane before that same show!! I am certainly no expert on this either but I have done it a few times. I usually use "Black" and since her mane is half white and half black I have a special neck cover with holes cut into it that I use. I think I have used Clairol (for women) and also Just For for Men. They come with plastic gloves to help (LOL!) keep you from getting dye all over. Try to find one that says on the package that it takes 10 minutes or less and leave it in the amount of time it says. I always run the skin test a day or two before to make sure she isn't allergic - don't forget to factor that in your schedule. I don't know if there is one brand that is better than others but prices do vary. I also found with Princess that one dye job will usually last her through the summer, so it isn't something you should need to do for each show. Another trick is to thin the mane and foretop from the TOP to remove the hair that is sun bleached.

I don't think I ever had a dye job come out quite the way I wanted, so we can compare our minis in 2 weeks!! But her foretop does look pretty nice in my avatar.

We use "Just For Men" also. Have found it it easy to use in general. And as Targetsmom said-LOL on the gloves! Wear them or some fairly snug fitting playtex type ones. I find I always end up with some on me (arms, shirt). I like Targetsmom's idea for keeping the dye off the neck. A neoprene neck sweat with a slit cut for the mane or section of mane to be dyed cut on top would protect the neck- and that's for horses of ANY color, even black on black- because it WILL show to some extent or other. We also use alumium foil (foil 'em - just like a beauty operator would!) especially the forelock and by separating strands of tail to do and then foiling. You can twist it and fold it up and twist to hold. Be very sure to rinse QUICKLY and thoroughly and then shampoo as directed. We also find it lasts all season, and our horses stay out and are not stalled.

You can dye horses for show and it's legal???
You can't change their natural color, just bring faded or sun bleached color back to original. Not sure, but it might be just manes and tails that can be dyed back to original.

I have never dyed a horse (or any animal Lol) before but was reading this thread and had an idea that might help out.............

If you were only doing a forelock or mane that has faded or sun bleached maybe the Touch Up for roots would work. I believe you brush it on so it may be easier to use.

Anyway just a thought!
default_yes.gif

Thanks so much for the replies ! I'll remember next year to attempt this before the first body clip of the year . And yes, check your rule book - it is legal to dye manes and tails their original color : )

One more tip, when dying the forelock, I put a dish towel accross their forhead and tuck it under the sides of the halter, just to keep it from getting into eyes, also I use a hair clip to roll it up till I'm ready to rinse.

Of course, we are not supposed to "change" color, but are permitted to enhance it. What's worked best for us, in terms of coloration and not dripping, on horses who should have "black" manes and tails is "JUST FOR MEN" in the "DARKEST BROWN" shade
default_yes.gif
None of the "black" shades have turned out to look natural for us, but that blackest brown shade has been just the ticket.

Before we begin dying I rub lotion (just the unscented, cheap big tub) all along their necks, buttocks, hocks, and by the poll, really anywhere that the dye may drip. The lotion helps prevent the dye from soaking into the hair on the body (keep a small towel handy to wipe off drips). We also use med/large hair claps to hold the hair up in sections while the dye sets. I can't ever remember the brand(s) I've used, but I've always used the "natural black" not the blue black. Most of them have a wait time of 30-40 min, which is what we do. The dye doesn't completely change the mane into a flat black color, but does cover up the really sun bleached spots!

I've never tried the Just for Men, we may have to give that a try sometime!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Marty mentioned a product called Fat Foam, which she said was easy and effective, but I have not been able to find it.

I probably won't be showing this year, but I'd love to enhance the faded mane and tail of my new mare, just for my own pleasure.

Shades of black--for sure some black dyes look less natural than others.

I like the foam and I dye manes and tails all the time. Can't find Fat Foam anymore but any foam is ok as long as its on sale LOL

I do increase the time always but at least 15 minutes because it never seems to get through that red enough but you can just try a sample piece if you want.

Get a black hefty bag and make a slit in it and bring the mane and forelock through it.

You can duck tape it if you want.

I get the baked potato foils and separate the hairs about 2 inches and use hair claws to hold it up on top the mane. They'll droop down and you have to keep shoving them back up but that's ok.

For the forelock, you can use just a little zip lock bag and bring the hair through a hole you make it it. To rinse it, I bring it back through the ears and just let the hose trickle down that way, not on the face.

For the tails, I braid and tie them in a knot after I apply the dye so they don't swish all over the place.

Have fun.

The gloves used to AI cattle work great for covering the tail once it's got the solution on it. The gloves can be found at TSC or any farm store. I slide the glove on, tape it with electrical tape, and there's a lot less mess.

Make sure to NOT use the blue'black = it will shine blue!! (yes - previous experience!!) I use Nice N Easy black black, and it looks great on my bay and smoky blacks.

I LOVE this topic!

Yes, I use the big black trash bags and duct take for manes and AI gloves for the tails.

I also use the deepest dark brunette color for the most natural look. If you are in an outdoor arena at all I find the black dyes to look fake.

Big claw clips to keep things in place and VASALINE to keep the white areas of a pinto seperated in case the dye bleeds under your heafty bag.

Dontcha all love show season!
default_smile.png

Well, I found some foam dye. Nice & Easy, I think. It's pretty easy to use, but the gloves aren't really long enough for working with tails. I admit, though, I am messy with anything that will permanently color something. I did my new little mare, as she is rather sunbleached. She is a black bay, so it wasn't too serious to get the color on her body. I used the darkest brown color.

I got it on my arms, my legs, and my white dog. I have NO idea how that happened!

It's also the almanac sign time to trim hair for good growth yesterday and today, so I snipped her tail and a little mane, following Marty's advice.

She's still a little wet, but I'm not sure I got really good coverage of the bleached. But I know it will look better.

Well, I tried something new and so far I like the results. You probably can't get this everywhere, but our CVS had a product for "Men of color" so I tried that in natural black. Only took 5 minutes...I don't remember the brand but I think you can either find this kind of product or you can't. And yes, the gloves are too short so I got some on my arm!!

ETA: We also like the hair gels for men of color.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with Just For Men darkest brown . Only had to let sit for 10 minutes and I really like how it came out ! It came with an applicator that went right on the end of the tube that worked slick. I must have used more product than I needed to get the job done as I used a whole tube for one tail LOL

What about scars? I have an all black stallion this scars where the hair has grown in white on his legs. Can I don something about that or is that against the rules?

What about scars? I have an all black stallion this scars where the hair has grown in white on his legs. Can I don something about that or is that against the rules?

Here is a photo of his legs

20130409_171709_0011.jpg

I was at a show this weekend and there were definately some dyed legs there...like on a buckskin. I don't think it showed in halter just driving ,but it was obvious

Latest posts

Back