Dying black horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have had black horses and we have black and white and tri shelties and have a product that works as a sunscreen so the black doesn't bleach, I love the product, you can buy it at a horse supply store or online. Also, for the spots on his skin that are burned from the dye I would suggest putting vitamin E oil on the sores, I buy my oil from WalMart, it works wonders for healing and will promote the hair to grow back faster.

The name of the sunscreen I use is:

Healthy Hair Care

Sunflower Sunscreen for horses (we use it on our shelties too)

Has Sunflower extract and conditioners

Up to 8 days of maximum protection from sunbleaching and burning

I have recommended this product to so many people and everyone loves it as much as I do
default_smile.png

You said you dont care about the show but if it is an open fair show and if he just has some black spots and if hes fine otherwise I would condition and take him anyway. The rules everyone are quoting are AMHA and Amhr rules and often an open show does not follow them and the experience would be good for you and him. You have learned your lesson and am sure you would tell everyone there about your mistake to help others who may be thinking of doing the same thing. I say if hes not burned but has only taken the color in an odd way go for it and have fun for the experience.

You are absolutly right "backwoodsnanny" I may just take him anyway and enjoy the day.

He is not that bad and its not an AMHR show. So we are going for fun and that's what is important.

I just think that those who are lucky enough to have sanctioned shows nearby forget that some of us can only show locally but it is still fun to do. You can be very helpful to others who may think about trying what you did by sharing your experience. Have a Ball!!!!!

Just an update on my dyed horse,

I took him to the show anyway and placed 1st in halter out of 4.

and placed 2nd in halter obstacle.

I had soo many people wanting to buy this horse it was just amazing. Even the Judge asked me if he was for sale.

I know I should've dyed him and I know for next time, But he is a beautiful horse anyway and his coat ment nothing.

I will post a picture later.

Nicole

Glad to hear that you took him anyway and had a great day Nicole! Sorry for assuming that it was a sanctioned show in the first place!
default_blush.png
: Unless a Fair show states that it is following any certain rules you don't need to worry about it. I hope your little one doesn't have any reactions and it just grows out normally.

If you are not doing this - works for me. Add Black Oil Sunflower Seed to diet. It may not keep your horse trully black - that is hard to do if they are not a naturally a non fading black. But it will add oils to their coat that they need.

Chances are if you would of left him, he would of been black. I had a bad clipping incident with my gelding. I clip him no more then 2 days before a show because he starts shedding so bad other wise. Well for some reason he was being a butt with jumping, rearing and all that. Must be the coolness. So his whole head ended up done in a 40. Well I dont lock him in out of the sun because I dont show much. SO his head was this very very dirty looking brown and I spent two days trying to figure out what I could use to make it blacker, was just going to soak him in baby oil, but low and be hold, come saturday of the show, you couldnt tell the difference in his head to his body, he was all black.

The more you clip a black the blacker they get.

Nicole so happy for you that you went and did so well. As I stated before many of us dont have access to sanctioned shows without traveling for way more hours than Im willing to do. I guess I would trave for 4 hours but more than that is too much for me or my horses. So its local shows for us I guess but am glad you had fun and did so well.

Latest posts

Back