Dying black horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole

Reaction score
We have a show tomorrow, got the horses bathed. We have a black yearling that once I clipped him he had a dull black look to him. So we decided to dye him to enhance the black. OH boy that was a mistake. He is now a black appy with solid black spots on him :no: :no:

We tried everything to fix it even tried recolouring it
default_wacko.png
: well that didn't work either. So I am not sure he still looks beautiful but with darker spots here and there.

Anyone have any ideas on what we can do? Show is tomorrow. Re clipping does not work either for he did have a weeks worth of growth.

Thanks

Nicole

I would suggest that you not show him. Changing the coat colour of a horse is not permitted. You can only highlight the mane, tail, eyes, ears and muzzle according to the rule book. Now that you have advertised that you have done this you could find yourself in trouble in the show ring.
default_sad.png
Depending on the type of dye you used it will grow or wash out eventually and I wouldn't show him till then. For future if you find that your colts coat is dull then I would look at a change in his feed to enhance his coat and also clip a little earlier and allow him to show with more coat - when you clip you dull the hairs.

"Changing the coat colour of a horse is not permitted" ~ true, but it hasn't stopped alot of people from doing it. :no:

Sorry, Nicole, but I wouldn't show him either.

[SIZE=14pt]Not pnly will he look funny now but be careful that the dye doesnt make his skin blister and peel. We had someone who bought a black filly from us once do the same thing and a week later her skin started peeling off so then she had odd spots PLUS bad bad dandruff everywhere. You should never dye a whole coat...especially one that has just been clipped. I have dyed manes for sunburn before but not a whole horse. I agree I would not show him.....his hair coat picked up the dye badly. You may have to wait now until he grows alot of coat back and then clip again. For adull black coat use Kolesterol conditioner, leave on for two hours and then rinse off and your black will be back.[/SIZE]

Lyn

[SIZE=18pt]Where do you get this Kolesterol conditioner Lyn? I have never heard of it. Is it meant specifically for horses?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Actually there are a couple ways to spell it. It can be found at a barber and beauty supply under ethnic hair care products. Also at some Walmart stores. IT is usually pink and in a plastic jar.[/SIZE]

We clip at nationals the day before they show and give them a kolesterol treatment right after and always have the black back by the next day.

Lyn

O.K I am confused because I did not change the coat color, he is black but because I clipped him the coat was dull. I was also told that you can dye the body as long as you are dying the same colour????All I did was enhanced the colour.

About his skin is there anything I can do to help his skin. I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN. I quess this is how you learn but should've asked you guys first. Can I feed him something to keep his skin moisturized?

Lyn would the Kolesteral help now??

AHHH!!!

the rulebook states that you cannot enhance BODY COAT. Only mane and tail. so if it was me i would pull him from the show but im a stickler for rules lol.

I would get the stuff lyn is talking about to moisturize him.

what is he currently eating?? a well fed horse always shines from within
default_smile.png

[SIZE=14pt]It wouldnt hurt but I dont know if you can help stop the peeling. The chemicals in the dye burn the skin. Enhancing the color of the coat doenst mean to dye it...that isnt allowed.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Sorry, but dying the body is forbidden, period so you are out of luck for this show. Hard lesson to learn, but water under the bridge now. Best of luck getting him squared away.

I really don't care about the show, I am not taking him. But I am worried about him and his skin.
default_sad.png

I guess if I would've just bathed him he probably would've been fine and I was only going to do his mane and tail but thought I could do his body to make him really black.
default_wacko.png
:

Live and learn I guess, it is just one of our local fairs but I am still not taking him.

I am really worried about him and his skin I never even thought about his skin :no: :no:

If anyone knows of anything I could give him please let me know!!!!

Thanks so much!!!

nicole

chances are hes fine and wont have a reaction
default_smile.png
just keep an eye on him to be sure. id rebath him with a really good moisturizing shampoo. horses are like people some have a reaction but most dont. sending good thoughts!

Just talked to my hair dresser and she mentioned Sunlight grease remover will strip the dye. But not sure if it will due his skin any good.

She also mentioned that the Kolesteral will help his skin!! She has some and I will pick that up tonight and bath him in it.

Lyn How long does that have to stay on his coat again??

Thanks

I don't usually post much on here but, this I do know something about ,ex hairdresser .LOL Anything strong enough to strip the color that you put in out, will also be harsh on the skin. I would strongly advise not to use the color stripper but,the conditioning treatment would be great.JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how old he is? If you still wanted to show him, he could be shown in jumping, obstacle, etc.

My two daughters that our licience hair stylist also agree with Nancy

Do not strip will hurt the skin, and will still be uneven.

Just wait in a couple of weeks clip again. Good Luck.

Kolesterol is a conditioner treatment

Thanks so much guys for all your help.

And yes I am sure you are reading this thinking what an idiot.
default_wacko.png
:

I guess sometimes I don't think, and I was really not thinking about his skin and what that might do to him.

I know now and I will never put a horse through that again.

Nicole

Trust me, you are not the first person to have done this just not knowing. It's very hard to say its illegal then see horses in the ring that are dyed and winning. Just know you have not done this to harm your horse intentionally and you have learned a valuable lesson. Make sure you keep him out of the sun too as harsh sunlight will not help his skin or coat right now. Good luck and I hope the next show is a hit for you.

Karen

Take a deep breath and relax, Nicole. If his coat doesn't look good, you've made the right decision to scratch him from the fair, regardless of the AMHR rule the others are referring to. It's only hair, and it'll grow out before long, especially with the cooler nights we've been having.

Its so annoying im sure everyone knows the work you put in to get them ready for a show and then a set back can just burst the bubble like that. Don't worry the bright side is that you have that bit more time to get him 100% sorted for his next show. Good luck with all and im sure his coat will be back to normal in no time.

default_yes.gif
:

I am sure we have all thought of it, my hubby always wanted a black horse and said why don't we get our girls ( being hair dressers ) dye them for us. So we have all thought of it.

You are no idiot, last year my granddaughter helped us clip our Stallion for a show and he is brown pinto, hubby after a few days and she was gone home, went over it because of lines, he turned out to be a nice brown pinto dapple and everyone kept asking what colour he was and did well in the shows.
default_yes.gif
: He wishes he could repeat the mistake:wacko:

I am sure there are other stories that could be told :lol:

Back