Dwarfs and genetics???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the fall when John Ebeth was answering all our dwarfism questions here and creating the special dwarfism forum section, I did a poll on this issue that isn't included there. That poll found that about 42% of the mini breeders on this forum had had either a dwarf foal born on their farm or an aborted dwarf fetus. Something to keep in mind when you decide who to breed and who not to breed - and what questions to ask when you buy!

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...l=dwarfism+poll

Thanks, Reble,

For posting the link to John Eberth's Dwarf Forum. If you read all the questions and answers you will see that he spent two weeks answering all the questions anyone had about dwarfism, so any question you might have is most likely answered there.

He has done more research on this topic than anyone else ever and is still studying it. I myself think he will isolate the gene and develop a test for it eventually, which will then allow us to know just how prevalent it really is and give us breeding choices where we can be sure not to produce a dwarf.

Lack of funding is one thing that slows it down so much.

I think his research is a very worthwhile cause to donate to, at least for me as a miniature breeder who puts my heart and soul into my miniature horses.

If anyone chooses to donate to John's research, you can send it to

John Eberth

Dept of Veterinary Science

108 Gluck Equine Research Center

University of Kentucky

Lexington, KY 40546-0099

Make your check out to University of Kentucky and specify it is to be for Miniature Horse Dwarf research.

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back