Dwarf with pot belly or not???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I would certainly get her off the prairie grass too and feed with more protein in it. Some horses simply do not do well on so much hay and will look bloated when eating it. Since you must have recently gotten her I would try to "purge" her for worms and see if that part of the belly problem. Perhpas she has hooks on her teeth as well? If she cannot digest her food properly that will also cause the big belly.

She does need to have a lot less hay and more other feed. It is true that lots of miniautre horses will look large in the belly from not enough feed, just like the example above of the starving children. I cannot tell you about her back. That too could be from "lack" of proper feed, poor trimming of her rear hooves. Could be she has walked "down" on her heels for some period of time. This can cause that/look too.

I think she will be fine. Perhaps smaller feeding three times a day rather than two feedings per day? Does she have a larger area to move around in than where these photos were taken? You can use cattle panels and T Posts to make her a larger area, even if you have limited room at your place.

I would watch the dogs tho., in a larger area. They LOVE to play with the horses and can hurt, mame, or even kill her. Even your "sweet house dogs", but especially dogs with the breeding yours have can get carried away sometimes.

Good luck and let us know how she is doing. I bet in one months time, we won't recognize how nice she looks!

Beth

First off let me say that I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert here, but one thing even I can see is that she's absolutely ADORABLE!

Something you may want to try as far as the big belly is to worm her with Equimax. Some forum members suggested it to me for getting rid of tapes which most wormers do not do. I'll admit I kinda foo-foo'd the idea at first, but figured, I'd go ahead and try it. I was stunned at the difference in just FOUR DAYS after giving the wormer!

Good luck with her. She sure is a cutie!

I just finished reading a very interesting article in the September issue of "Horse Illustrated" about "hays"and they mention that "prairie or wild native grasses", that these types of hay are usually lower in protein content than other grass hays and that their vitamine and mineral conent is also lower. If this is what you are feeding then I truly think you should be giving more grain that has added vitamin and minerals to balance out the minis requirement for nutrition. It's all about ensuring that your horse gets the requirements needed with the hay that you are feeding. If you were feeding a different type of hay then I wouldn't be suggesting an increase in the grain but in this case I think it's a must so I would highly suggest more grain, Omelene 200 and less of your prairie hay in order to get the nutrients needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Beth right down to the warning about the dogs, I read all the posts so I could see if anyone else felt the same warning I did when I saw them. I dearly love my dogs, and eat , sleep and breathe my animals...I know you won't/don't want to hear this. DO not think it can never happen to you. The 2 dogs and her are an accident waiting to happen.

edited for my darn spelling -ignore the grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Awww!!She is very cute!!!!I am no expert but she doesnt look like any dwarfs I have seen!!Just very chunky!!But still cute!!
wub.gif
[/SIZE]

Thanks for all the help everyone! It really doesnt matter to me if she does carry dwarf characteristics, or even if she is fat.....Im just trying to make sure I care for her the right way since this is my first mini - its the 'downsizing' of everything that makes me worry. (Afraid to give too much/afraid to give too little) Im very appreciative of all the suggestions so far - they are helping me gain more confidence in her nutrition needs! I would like her to be in top shape for who she is, and so letting everyone see her and give their opinions has really been a blessing!

The eclosure she is in with the dogs was taken right after I purchased her. I kept her on my patio until we could get a barn and fencing for just her put up - plus she was fairly upset over the loss of all her pony pals from where she lived before - it seemed to help her to stay near the house where myself and family could see and talk to her all the time. She is now free to roam with her own place to stay at night (but it had to be right next to where the dogs stay at night lol)

I was worried about the dogs at first, very worried. We gradually introduced them, one dog at a time and constantly supervised for the first week. The shepard mix was my biggest concern as well, but it has turned out that she is Ellies "right hand man". Everywhere Ellie goes, KC follows, lays by, protects and loves to lick and lick! And like I said before, KC allows Ellie to bite and nuzzle her all over without even a little snap at Ellie - its pretty amazing!

All the help anyone can give me for Ellie is much welcomed !!!

I do not think she is a dwarf either. She's a very cute mini and probably is eating too much and might need more exercise. I would love her to pieces if I had her as she is darling.

She's not a dwarf. She's a cute stocky filly that needs some work.....which has already been addressed by other posts.

Enjoy her.

MA

All I want to say is that Ellie is absolutely adorable!!!! Love the pic with the dogs!!
aktion033.gif

hate to repeat myself here but if she trulyhas a roached back as it appears in this picture remember that it will of course effect the way she appears conformation wise as well as weight wise and for lack of a better term she will be squished up in the middle. Also be careful in what and how much exercise you expect from her. I would talk to your vet for this.

Take a picture of your mare from the side. Her roached back may look more pronounced in these picstures because of her white marking and the odd angle she is standing at. Also, your comment that her parents had no dwarfism can not possibly be known as there is yet to be a DNA test to prove or disprove that fact. Your mare is very cute but I hope that you won't ever breed her. Just enjoy her and love her dearly
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back